Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2020, 09:23 AM   #1

What size 5th wheel for my truck?

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and look forward to becoming a knowledgeable RV'er through iRV2 forums!

Ok, I just recently purchased a new 2020 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins Crew Cab 4x4 6.4. I bought it because my wife are planning to sell the house and full time in an rv. We want to purchase a 5th wheel and what I need to know is what size 5th wheel can I reasonably tow with my truck? Here are the specifications I know of:

GVWR: 10000 lbs
GAWR Front: 6000 lbs
GAWR RearL 6040 lbs
GCWR: 27000 lbs

This is all I have. I can't find any other ratings. It's been frustratiing trying to find that information. According to Ram, I have a towing capacity of 15, 980 lbs. I have been asking questions in a Ram truck forum and basically I'm being told I can't tow a 5th wheel at all, even the smallest of 5th wheels. This is shocking if this is true. I guess I should have decided on a 5th wheel first and then purchased the truck. Oh well. I have the truck (I love it) so now I need to determine what size 5th wheel I can tow. I do have the 5th wheel/gooseneck towing prep. I have been looking at 5th wheels with a GVWR of 15000 lbs, 35 feet.

While I'm at it, if you can provide input, what size travel trailer can I tow with my truck?

I look forward to your input and this information will assist me in deciding the best 5th wheel or travel trailer that I can purchase that would be a good full-time living rv.

Thanks!
CodyWyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2020, 09:31 AM   #2

What's the cargo carrying capacity?.......will be found on sticker in driver's door area....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
What's the cargo carrying capacity?.......will be found on sticker in driver's door area....
I don't see that on my sticker. I googled it though and if this is the right value you are looking for, the maximum payload is 4010 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0361.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	307069  
Old 11-06-2020, 09:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
I see you posted payload ( CCC ) while I was typing , so I had to start over .

You need to get your truck weighed , DW on board and full of fuel .
Not all the payload is available at the rear axle and that's where a 5er will put most of it's pin weight , at 18/20% weight on the pin , a 15,000 lb , 5er will put approx 3,000 lbs on your rear axle you have to know if the axle and tires will handle that weight.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:07 AM   #5

For the most part that other forum is right. A heavy diesel engine and heavy exhaust takes up a lot of payload.

There should be a yellow sticker that will say 'Occupants and cargo should not exceed xxxx kilo xxxx lbs.'.

My guess is it will say 2,100 to 2,300lbs.

A 15,000lb 5th wheel will put about 3,000lbs on the truck that only has a payload of 2,100 to 2,300lbs. You will be over loaded with a 15,000 lb. 5th wheel.

I am kinda in the same boat. I bought a truck to tow a travel trailer but after looking at RV's I like 5th wheels a little bit better. So I have been looking at mid profile 5th wheels with a GVWR of 10,000lbs. My payload on the gas 2017 F-250 is 3,497lbs.

Something to think about - put a cap on your truck and then tow a travel trailer. The cap gives a lot of storage plus there are very nice travel trailers. Just as example look at a Flagstaff 29 RSWS. It is a 3 slide trailer with a shallow wardrobe slide in the bedroom. It has 2 big slides in the living/kitchen area.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyWyBound View Post
I don't see that on my sticker. I googled it though and if this is the right value you are looking for, the maximum payload is 4010 lbs.
Ok , we're really going to need you to get out and get the truck weighed , because a 4010 lb payload for a 10,000 GVWR truck would mean the curb weight would have to be 5,990 lbs .
I worked at a Chrysler dealership for 33 years and under 6,000lbs curb weight for any Dodge 4x4 with Cummins, just doesn't sound right.

I'll have to dig for my 2000 Dodge 4x4 weights ( gas engine ) but if memory serves, ( it's over ten years ago ) curb weight on that truck was close to 7,000.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:18 AM   #7

Your sticker should be on the front drivers door post. It should be a yellow sticker. Now the problem you have is cargo capacity. Your truck will weight 8000 lbs or so empty. 3200 lbs on the rear axle. so once you add a hitch and passengers you will probably left with 2000 lbs of available rear axle weight. You will only have 2000 lbs of total capacity as per GVWR. for a fifth wheel it will need to be 10000 lbs or less GVWR. that will be a pin weight of 2000 lbs loaded. Don't believe the weights the dealer will tell you. You will need to weight your truck first loaded with fuel and passengers. Add 200 lbs or so for a hitch and that will be your cargo capacity. Tire capacity will be your true limiting factor. I had a Ram with almost the same specs and my fifth well was suppose to weight 11800 lbs with a 1900 lb hitch. Once I weight it ready to go camping it was 12900 lbs with a 2500 lb hitch. I was with in 400 lbs of rear tire capacity. I was under axle weights but 500 lbs over GVWR. I pulled that way for 2 years. I got pushed around by wind so I moved up to a 2017 F350 DRW. Now it is a very comfortable tow. I hope this helps
Dieselguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Look for another sticker with the tire pressures on it.

The difference between a 2500 Tradesman nicely equipped compared to a Laramie or Limited can be 400-600 pounds difference.

The payload on my 2013 RAM 2500 diesel was 2491. With my 33 ft toyhauler loaded with 30 gallons of fuel, two full dress Harleys, two large coolers stocked, truck with full fuel and three people was under 22k. I was under axle weights, but not by much. So it can be done. I liked the diesel when loaded going up the steep hills in WV and TN.

So a 5th wheel can be done with the 2500, properly equipped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2500 payload and tire sticker.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	307072  
Old 11-06-2020, 10:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGoose View Post
Look for another sticker with the tire pressures on it.

The difference between a 2500 Tradesman nicely equipped compared to a Laramie or Limited can be 400-600 pounds difference.

The payload on my 2013 RAM 2500 diesel was 2491. With my 33 ft toyhauler loaded with 30 gallons of fuel, two full dress Harleys, two large coolers stocked, truck with full fuel and three people was under 22k. I was under axle weights, but not by much. So it can be done. I liked the diesel when loaded going up the steep hills in WV and TN.

So a 5th wheel can be done with the 2500, properly equipped.
Hi HDGoose. My sticker I attached does show the tire pressures. It is 65 psi (cold). I have looked everywhere for another sticker but only found the one that only provides me the GVWR and the GAWR front and rear.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselguy4 View Post
Your sticker should be on the front drivers door post. It should be a yellow sticker. Now the problem you have is cargo capacity. Your truck will weight 8000 lbs or so empty. 3200 lbs on the rear axle. so once you add a hitch and passengers you will probably left with 2000 lbs of available rear axle weight. You will only have 2000 lbs of total capacity as per GVWR. for a fifth wheel it will need to be 10000 lbs or less GVWR. that will be a pin weight of 2000 lbs loaded. Don't believe the weights the dealer will tell you. You will need to weight your truck first loaded with fuel and passengers. Add 200 lbs or so for a hitch and that will be your cargo capacity. Tire capacity will be your true limiting factor. I had a Ram with almost the same specs and my fifth well was suppose to weight 11800 lbs with a 1900 lb hitch. Once I weight it ready to go camping it was 12900 lbs with a 2500 lb hitch. I was with in 400 lbs of rear tire capacity. I was under axle weights but 500 lbs over GVWR. I pulled that way for 2 years. I got pushed around by wind so I moved up to a 2017 F350 DRW. Now it is a very comfortable tow. I hope this helps
Hi DieselGuy, I don't have a yellow sticker anywhere. The only sticker I have is the one I posted earlier in this thread.

Your information is helpful. Seems like my configuration will not support any 5th wheel and I need to look at travel trailers that are less than 10k GVWR. Am I interpreting this correctly. If so, that is disappointing but there are some nice travel trailers like the NuCamp Avia I mentioned earlier. The limitation is a bit frustrating and now I wish I had decided on a 5th wheel first before buying the truck. I am not disappointed with the truck at all as we have made a couple of trips from Denver to Cody, Wy and talk about a smooth, comfortable drive! Great driving experience!
Old 11-06-2020, 10:46 AM   #11

Here is your dilemma

Trucks GVWR of 10K and corresponding low payload will limit you to a 12,000# GVWR 5vr

Trucks RAWR of 6040# will limit you to 13,000# GVWR 5vr due to WET Pin being carried by trucks Rear Axle

I have a 14k 5vr with a total wet pin of 3080#
My trucks RAWR is 6200# and if it wasn't for the 150# of pin weight being carried by trucks Front Axle I would exceed the trucks RAWR
*Hitch is mounted 2" forward of Rear Axle Center Line which moves some weight forward on my truck

I am over the Trucks GVWR of 10100# and over the arbitrary payload number but UNDER axle/tire load ratings
I go by Axle/Tire Ratings as those are the 'legal' limits.
GVWR/Payload are numbers set by MFG for 'Class Distinction' & Warranty Issues

* Many States allow registering trucks for Higher GVWR then MFGs numbers....just pay the higher registration fees
So even States disregard MFG GVWR/Payload numbers but will NOT disregard Axle/Tire Ratings

So ....
12K GVWR 5vr based on Trucks GVWR of 10K
13K 5vr based on Trucks RAWR of 6040#

Load truck up 'camp ready' (All persons/pets/Stuff in cab/Full Fuel etc) and go get weighed
Weigh Ticket will show actual weight on Trucks Steer (Front) Axle, actual weight on Trucks Drive (Rear) axle and TOTAL weight of truck
With those actual weight numbers you can then then see how close to that low GVWR/10K are you, how much weight is being carried by Rear Axle and Guesstimate how much WET Pin you can ADD to rear axle
*22% of 5vr GVWR will give you a close estimation of WET Pin weight
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:52 AM   #12

Hi Old-Biscuit. Your input is very helpful. Only new questions I have is how to I get my truck weighed? Is there a charge for such service?

It's becoming quite clear to me that what I thought I had purchased was a beast that could tow a nice sized 5th wheel is in fact not a beast and has to be limited to under 10k GVWR for a travel trailer.

BTW, I see you served in the Navy. I did as well back in the early 80's. I was a Farsi linguist and spent two tours in the Persian Gulf translating Iranian military comms. Served on the USS Spruance (DD), USS Oliver H. Perry (FF) and the USS Coronado (LST - Command ship in the Persian Gulf). Thank you for your service!
Old 11-06-2020, 11:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Hi DieselGuy, I don't have a yellow sticker anywhere. The only sticker I have is the one I posted earlier in this thread.

Your information is helpful. Seems like my configuration will not support any 5th wheel and I need to look at travel trailers that are less than 10k GVWR. Am I interpreting this correctly. If so, that is disappointing but there are some nice travel trailers like the NuCamp Avia I mentioned earlier. The limitation is a bit frustrating and now I wish I had decided on a 5th wheel first before buying the truck. I am not disappointed with the truck at all as we have made a couple of trips from Denver to Cody, Wy and talk about a smooth, comfortable drive! Great driving experience!
That is a problem with a 2500 truck. The cummins is a great motor and the truck will pull a camper great. I know I had the same problem. I replaced the truck since I already had the camper. There are some very nice travel trailers. It will not pull as well as a fifth wheel but with the WDH you should not have any weight issues. It is better than buying a big fifth wheel and finding out you need a bigger truck. The sticker has the yellow bars like the last post
Dieselguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Hi Old-Biscuit. Your input is very helpful. Only new questions I have is how to I get my truck weighed? Is there a charge for such service?

It's becoming quite clear to me that what I thought I had purchased was a beast that could tow a nice sized 5th wheel is in fact not a beast and has to be limited to under 10k GVWR for a travel trailer.

BTW, I see you served in the Navy. I did as well back in the early 80's. I was a Farsi linguist and spent two tours in the Persian Gulf translating Iranian military comms. Served on the USS Spruance (DD), USS Oliver H. Perry (FF) and the USS Coronado (LST - Command ship in the Persian Gulf). Thank you for your service!
CAT Scales....here are some around/Near Littleton
https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locat...s=4&cmdSearch=

Cost is like $10/$12

USS NAVY...Machinist Mate Aft Engine Room USS Decatur DDG31 (Guided Missile Destroyer) 1972-1978

THANKS for your Service. Welcome Home!!
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel