Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2021, 02:52 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselguy4 View Post
If you are buying a truck get a 3/4 ton. A 1/2 ton will pull it but it will not be a comfortable tow. Gas or diesel? Gas will pull it but a diesel will be effortless. I always buy more truck then I need then when I buy a bigger camper I don't need to buy another truck. ��
X2 re a diesel. If you get one with an exhaust brake and set up the trailer brake just right, you'll barely notice the trailer on descents and stopping.

Paid extra for the Duramax package but because of the peace of mind it is some of the best $$$ invested in RVing that we've spent. The truck is a beast.
VinceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2021, 03:28 PM   #30

Think Safty First

Go withe a 250/2500 or even 350/3500 for not much more. The new Ford 7.3 Godzilla V8 Gas would be my first choice. $10,000.00 less than a diesel and improved payload over a diesel. Also less money for normal maitanence . My experience is you will almost always end up loading up more stuff than you had planned in the beginning. Good luck with your choice and happy camping/towing.
Gforceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:49 PM   #31

Hey! Why the harsh words. Everyone is an expert. I wouldn’t question anyone who said that you can tow 12K with a half ton. The dealer says you can and we all know he is an expert. Who says it’s required that towing be stress free. Doesn’t everyone like a challenge ? I always like to max out everything and then feel a sense of relief when I arrive safely. Come on. Get with the new thinking. Anything goes and I don’t need any help. I’m smarter than you and your outdated thinking proves you don’t know what you’re talking about.
All kidding aside if you need to tow more than 7500-8k then don’t get a half ton. Buy a 3/4 ton and you’ll be set.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLOY View Post
My buddy has been towing a 8,600 GVWR trailer with a F150.

He was looking at a F250s then bought a F350 with the 7.3L because "it wasn't much more."
This! 250 gas; 350 diesel. I'd go 350 either way, personally.
boogiejack75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:19 PM   #33

One simple question, what are you going to use the toy hauler for? If you carry anything with a lot of weight (motorcycle, golf cart, ATV, etc) you will want a heavier tow vehicle.

We towed a 8200 GVW TT with a 2019 F-150 with 5.0L V8 and max tow package. It towed fine if there was no wind, it was flat, and we didn't carry it or the trailer loaded. We were near max (within 150LB of max for the truck) and even though we never had an issue, it really wasn't comfortable to drive. To be exact the wife said she wouldn't ride in the truck because she was uncomfortable and didn't feel safe. We went to a F-250 diesel and the difference is almost beyond words. The trailer tows better, is more stable in winds, braking isn't a nail biter when some idiot slams on their brakes in front of us. It's more comfortable.

If a diesel isn't for you, look into the 7.3L gasser with Ford or whatever the other makers put out equal to that. It isn't just your safety but you have to consider others around you when towing.

You need to take into consideration braking (you will not stop on a dime) wind load (gusts, passing trucks, or steady side winds) and safety (both to you and others).
xyzabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:51 PM   #34

Insure that whatever truck you choose has a class IV towing package to include a built in electric brake controller. Setting the gain of the controller (easy to do) is important. A good weight distribution hitch with anti-sway capability is a must as well. We tow our 26' TT with a 2021 RAM 1500 5.7 L engine 4X4 quad cab with the 6' 4" bed. The truck is equipped with the off road package which includes LT tires(stiffer sidewalls) and is equipped with the tow package. Our hitch is a Husky Centerline TS properly( also very important) set up. Thus far we have traveled cross country and have not had any issues even in strong crosswinds out west or in mountainous terrain. The ability to downshift the 8 speed tranny meant we used very little pedal braking. I seldom exceed 62 MPH on trips.
GIjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:04 PM   #35

Tundra, only way to go in 1/2 ton. Great power and braking. Never had a problem towing 10,000 lbs all day long. Best part is you can pick any of them in a 5.7, other manufacturers you have to get a hd and are hard to find. Toyota makes the best all around, most reliable 1/2 ton hands down but you will not get the mpg. The downside!

I know that will upset someone but the truth is the truth.
Dcarver94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:13 PM   #36

You got to be kidding me that the Tundra is the answer. That truck is old and is getting redone for MY 2022. It was way past due for improvements.

The Tundra is 2007 technology - ugh.

Oh, the Tundra Frame is flexy.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:22 PM   #37

I know you will get tons of feedback here, but we’ve been doing this for a very long time and I’ve had vehicles on both ends of the question. For my money, it is (and would be) a 2500 series Diesel Crew Cab. We have always had Fords, currently a 2011 F250, and friends have had Chevys and Dodges, they all work well if you take care of them well.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:23 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaseyinTX View Post
Hello everyone, I'm new!

My husband and I recently purchased a 2019 Forest River Wildwood FSX toy hauler. The flooorplan is 280RT. Now we need a truck! Of course every dealer just goes by weight and pretty much guarantees that anything on their lot can pull it. The gentleman we purchased it from used a 1500 Silverado and said he never had an issue. Granted, he never went farther than three hours from home and South Texas is fairly flat.

I would really like to hear what all of the experts here suggest. The last thing we want to do is spend money on a tow vehicle that isn't going to work well.

Additional info: Most of the time it will just be the two of us. My husband will bring his Harley along most trips. We are not in a huge hurry since I am an assistant principal and won't be able to travel until the summer. Thank you!

Specs:
length: 32 ft
dry weight: 5608 lbs
payload capacity: 2152 lbs
GVWR: 7773 lbs
Hitch weight: 760 lbs

Nothing finer than a Toyota Tundra with a factory tow package. Towing capacity is 10,500 pounds, and Consumer Reports shows it as FAR better in all categories, durability, cost of repairs, customer satisfaction, ease of driving, quality of ride, sustaining resale value - ALL of it. Mine is a 2008, and it still feels new, floats us over the mountains pulling the max weight.
PLDieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:39 PM   #39

You will hear all kinds of

1. "well, I traveled here and there with this and that"
2. My old half ton will pull anything
3. Get a one ton diesel or stay home

Ignore them.

Rule of thumb: once TT gross tops 6500, get a Ford 250 with the godzilla gas engine.
Everything you need and none of the fuss of the diesel.
(and the only brand with key pad on the door)

ENJOY
picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:53 PM   #40

Well you are going to get a lot of “opinions” with this question. And so here is mine. Lol. I pull a 35’ TT that has a dry weight of 7200 lbs. I’m going down the road around 8500 lbs. My tow vehicle is a 2014 GMC Sierra 6.2 motor, 3:73 rear axle ratio and heavy duty rear springs. The truck is rated to pull 11,700 lbs. So I have no issues.
Based on your trailer specs I’d say a half ton properly equipped would be just fine. BUT I wouldn’t be opposed to a 3/4 ton truck. Always better to have more truck then you need. Just my two cents.
2000 Ford F350 CC Larait DRW ,4:10, Auto, in Deep Wedgewood Blue, K&N, ISSPRO Gauges, pulling a '01 32CKT Cardinal 5th wheel
SerenityPines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:47 PM   #41

3/4 ton gas or diesel, i will never tow with a gas again but it will do the job. You don't need a foo foo hitch, they are only good if you are trying to do something you shouldn't be doing because you do not have the right truck to begin with
DJensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:54 PM   #42

Get a 3/4 ton diesel and you will never look back - except to make sure the trailer is still back there that is! Towing and stopping will be easy - life will be easy - been there!
Ambassador13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow