Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2021, 08:02 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIjoe View Post
Insure that whatever truck you choose has a class IV towing package to include a built in electric brake controller. Setting the gain of the controller (easy to do) is important. A good weight distribution hitch with anti-sway capability is a must as well. We tow our 26' TT with a 2021 RAM 1500 5.7 L engine 4X4 quad cab with the 6' 4" bed. The truck is equipped with the off road package which includes LT tires(stiffer sidewalls) and is equipped with the tow package. Our hitch is a Husky Centerline TS properly( also very important) set up. Thus far we have traveled cross country and have not had any issues even in strong crosswinds out west or in mountainous terrain. The ability to downshift the 8 speed tranny meant we used very little pedal braking. I seldom exceed 62 MPH on trips.

Yes indeed, the extra weight of the front drive axle and transfer case does help keep the front wheels in better contact with the ground on a 1/2 ton 4X4 compared to just a rear wheel drive 1/2 ton pickup truck. The best truck for towing I had personally was an old 1969 Power Wagon W200 E20 Special which had a W600 drive train sectioned at the factory to fit the W200 wheel track powered by a 440 which in reality was a 500 along with 4.78 gearing and hi/lo ranges. The additional weight of the PTO Winch in the extended front bumper with over 200 feet of 5/8 inch cable also helped. It had the rigid front drive axle with the enclosed knuckles like a payloader. 12 inch 4800 lb clutch, 12 inch brakes, 12 leafs in the springs and 16 ply 16.5 inch low profile tires so little flex and sway. Rode best with around 3 tons in the bed.

Diesels do pull better and my Fiat 124 Spider with a Turbo Diesel in it can pull an amazing amount of trailer for its size however you won't be happy trying to stop what it can pull or being passed by a semi-trailer truck. Its got an old school mechanical Kiki Pump OHC Turbo Diesel shoehorned into it so it sounds like a typical 1960's garbage truck.

My rule is to opt for the heavier truck whenever possible to better your chances of making it through an emergency situation. Too many go with "You'll probably be fine with most roads in (X or Y or Z)" however you want the truck that's going to keep you fine when you encounter that 1 road out or 100 or 1,000 and still keep you fine. In Texas that can mean surviving a heat buckled road that's become pleated from heat expansion while towing a trailer. You do not want to cross over one of those with a just barely adequate under normal circumstances tow vehicle.

You have to plan for Abby something or another or you could have a moment of realization that's less than comforting.
https://youtu.be/p9MKDWvtk6Q
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2021, 09:43 PM   #44

Has anybody ever said... "I have too much horse power, and too much braking"

Buy the biggest power unit you can get. You won't regret having the higher towing capacity.

ask anybody that has survived an accident from over loading....

We never had a problem, before
Sossage2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:42 PM   #45

What to tow with? Coming to the experts!

I have a 3.5 EB, 24ft, 7500lb GW, 1000lb tongue, 1200lb WDH, rig. Just me, very little weight in the bed. I would go 1 ton diesel with a Harley in the bed, 30ft TT.
USAMTBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:55 AM   #46

If you need a certain kind or type of hitch to make it work, what you really need is a better / bigger vehicle. My vote would would be to get a 3/4 ton. Gas or diesel that's up to you but I went diesel and love it.
capt who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:45 AM   #47

I'll second the Hensely hitch!
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:01 AM   #48

I'll second the Hensely hitch!
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:12 AM   #49

Thumbs up We have a Titan XD, it has 11,000# tow capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
A 32' sidewall will catch a lot of wind. Typically that is too big for a little half ton truck to control.

I don't believe the seller had no problems towing that trailer. Even on flat land trying to tow at highway speeds will not be easy.

There are two trucks that are better then the normal 150/1500 series trucks.

They are the F-150 with the HDPP option. That truck is a special F-150 with its own thicker frame, longer wheelbase of 163", higher payload of around 2,300lbs, LT tires, tow mirrors and a bunch of other nice towing features. This truck most likely would need to be ordered because they are difficult to find on any dealer lot, but you can try.

The other truck is the Nissan Titan XD. Not the whimpy Nissan Titan but the XD version. This truck, like the Ford with HDPP has its own thicker frame, longer wheelbase about 152", LT tires, tow mirrors , brake controller, etc.

Else just buy a 250/2500 series truck which will be better at towing then the two trucks above.

Do not buy a regular 150/1500 series truck because that will not be enough truck to tow comfortably.
We also have an older, GMC 1-ton. 2 times each year we tow the Kubota tractor, Bushhog and landscape rake from Baton Rouge to Farmerville,{Truxno}, on a 30' bumper pull. The only difference I notice between the two trucks is gas milage. The 1-Ton does 8MPG on that tow, the Titan does 14MPG. I only keep the old 1-Ton because there is no Gooseneck hitch available for the Titan. About once a year we need to tow something on a 40' Gooseneck trailer.

Planing on a Phord F1150 hybrid in the near future. Over 12,000# tow is advertised.
Igeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:57 AM   #50

After due diligence, and careful consideration, DW and I decided on getting a new(er) F-350 SRW due to their stronger chassis, and higher payload capacity. And the towing capacity is not bad either. Setup with the 7.3 engine, and the 10 speed auto transmission, and DW would be able to drive both TV and TT together. As with all things, however, YMMV! Safe, and hoppy travels from the Boondocking Brewer™!
Old 09-27-2021, 10:06 AM   #51

DO NOT BUY A 1/2 TON TRUCK!!! I don't care what the towing capacity, hitch or brand is. You will be too close to the max ratings of the truck and will not enjoy RVing. I had a a 30 foot camper behind a F-150, tow package and "capable" of 10,000 plus pounds towing. It was white knuckle driving. We decided we wanted a 5th wheel and traded the F-150 in for a F-350 diesel dually. I'm not suggesting you need that much truck, but we were going big on our 5th wheel. We towed the 30 footer a couple of times with the F-350 and what a difference! Buy a 250/2500 minimum.
Joe_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:25 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by picker View Post
You will hear all kinds of

1. "well, I traveled here and there with this and that"
2. My old half ton will pull anything
3. Get a one ton diesel or stay home

Ignore them.

Rule of thumb: once TT gross tops 6500, get a Ford 250 with the godzilla gas engine.
Everything you need and none of the fuss of the diesel.
(and the only brand with key pad on the door)

ENJOY
A short post that answers it all. I’m usually too wordy. Most of us don’t need a diesel. The majority of towable RV’s can be towed with the lowly half ton. If over 7500 bet a 3/4 ton gas. If over 10k get a diesel. Life is simple. What he said.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:33 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgest View Post
After due diligence, and careful consideration, DW and I decided on getting a new(er) F-350 SRW due to their stronger chassis, and higher payload capacity. And the towing capacity is not bad either. Setup with the 7.3 engine, and the 10 speed auto transmission, and DW would be able to drive both TV and TT together. As with all things, however, YMMV! Safe, and hoppy travels from the Boondocking Brewer™!
Good choice. ....and yeah, any half ton would have been a very poor choice. I'm considering buying the same F350 w. 7.3....

Cheers,
Dave
Old 09-27-2021, 11:31 AM   #54

Resale value of the TV in a few years might be something to consider. Also, there is a lot to be said for keeping your towing experience pleasnt. My vote is for 3/4 ton diesel to address both of these considerations.👍
rrsutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 05:44 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsutherland View Post
Resale value of the TV in a few years might be something to consider. Also, there is a lot to be said for keeping your towing experience pleasnt. My vote is for 3/4 ton diesel to address both of these considerations.��
Resale of gas or diesel TV is the same.
With a diesel, You pay up front for the diesel option and get it back at resale.
With a gasser, you never pay for it so you don't get it back.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:58 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
Resale of gas or diesel TV is the same.
I am not sure I buy this and I think it might depend on a milage comparison. I have seen diesels with 200k on them still command pretty good prices. But I would defer to actual data as I don't have any, other than my small-sample anecdotal observation that over the years my used diesels also seem to hold their value really well when I trade them compared to other types of vehicles.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow