Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2021, 10:35 AM   #1

What to tow with? Coming to the experts!

Hello everyone, I'm new!

My husband and I recently purchased a 2019 Forest River Wildwood FSX toy hauler. The flooorplan is 280RT. Now we need a truck! Of course every dealer just goes by weight and pretty much guarantees that anything on their lot can pull it. The gentleman we purchased it from used a 1500 Silverado and said he never had an issue. Granted, he never went farther than three hours from home and South Texas is fairly flat.

I would really like to hear what all of the experts here suggest. The last thing we want to do is spend money on a tow vehicle that isn't going to work well.

Additional info: Most of the time it will just be the two of us. My husband will bring his Harley along most trips. We are not in a huge hurry since I am an assistant principal and won't be able to travel until the summer. Thank you!

Specs:
length: 32 ft
dry weight: 5608 lbs
payload capacity: 2152 lbs
GVWR: 7773 lbs
Hitch weight: 760 lbs
KaseyinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2021, 11:24 AM   #2

I just looked at an old Lincoln Navigator SUV that could just pull your Forest River TT. It would be a stretch though.

A heavier truck would make things easier. Shoot for a truck with a maximum towing capacity of about 9000 pounds. Gross Vehicle Weight of the trailer should be 80% of Maximum Towing Capacity of the tow vehicle.

Pushing the limits of a tow vehicle requires you to slow down and leave room for longer stopping distances. Slower down long steep hills is also prudent.

Note that actual tongue weights of trailers are often much higher than the published weights. Get it weighed.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 11:55 AM   #3

Minimum 250/2500 (3/4 ton) truck

Hitch weight is DRY weight....13% ratio of DRY weight

7773 GVWR will have closer to 1000# WET hitch weight

So 250/2500 truck and good Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH)
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:14 PM   #4

A half ton would do fine in Texas. Out West in the mountains- not so much.
Get a 3/4 and be safer and happier.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:30 PM   #5

A 32' sidewall will catch a lot of wind. Typically that is too big for a little half ton truck to control.

I don't believe the seller had no problems towing that trailer. Even on flat land trying to tow at highway speeds will not be easy.

There are two trucks that are better then the normal 150/1500 series trucks.

They are the F-150 with the HDPP option. That truck is a special F-150 with its own thicker frame, longer wheelbase of 163", higher payload of around 2,300lbs, LT tires, tow mirrors and a bunch of other nice towing features. This truck most likely would need to be ordered because they are difficult to find on any dealer lot, but you can try.

The other truck is the Nissan Titan XD. Not the whimpy Nissan Titan but the XD version. This truck, like the Ford with HDPP has its own thicker frame, longer wheelbase about 152", LT tires, tow mirrors , brake controller, etc.

Else just buy a 250/2500 series truck which will be better at towing then the two trucks above.

Do not buy a regular 150/1500 series truck because that will not be enough truck to tow comfortably.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:34 PM   #6

If you are buying a truck get a 3/4 ton. A 1/2 ton will pull it but it will not be a comfortable tow. Gas or diesel? Gas will pull it but a diesel will be effortless. I always buy more truck then I need then when I buy a bigger camper I don't need to buy another truck. ��
Dieselguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:43 PM   #7

My buddy has been towing a 8,600 GVWR trailer with a F150.

He was looking at a F250s then bought a F350 with the 7.3L because "it wasn't much more."
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 11:25 PM   #8

Tow with whatever but invest in a Hensley hitch. Contact Can Am RV in London, Ontario to get expert advice (Andy and crew) instead of countless opinions (except for tuffr2 who appears to have had experience with different set-ups).

Steve M. - the “Acura MDX Towing Expert”

(Not self-proclaimed, just one of the few doing it).
SteveNdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:13 AM   #9

I agree you are pushing 3/4 ton territory, but one of the new half tons properly equipped will tow that, but its about as much as I'd want to tow with a 1/2 ton. The biggest issue is the length; that's a big sail for a half ton to control. If you can find one of the GM half tons with the 3.0l diesel that little engine with the 10 speed is awesome. My sister's 2020 1500 Silverado hitch with the 3.0l will handle 1300 lbs. of carry and has enough payload capacity to handle your load if you don't throw a bunch of additional weight in the bed. She actually tows a little 5'er (about 7500 lbs. wet) and it does great.

All that said, a 3/4 ton would be a better option if you can live with it.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNdebbie View Post
Tow with whatever but invest in a Hensley hitch. Contact Can Am RV in London, Ontario to get expert advice (Andy and crew) instead of countless opinions (except for tuffr2 who appears to have had experience with different set-ups).

Steve M. - the “Acura MDX Towing Expert”

(Not self-proclaimed, just one of the few doing it).

This is pretty bad advice. You claim you can tow with what ever vehicle you want as long as you have a special hitch. An undersized vehicle is still an undersized vehicle no matter how you look at it. Brakes, suspension, frame, just to name a few.

A pig with lipstick is still a pig!
AlaskaKeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
I just looked at an old Lincoln Navigator SUV that could just pull your Forest River TT. It would be a stretch though.

A heavier truck would make things easier. Shoot for a truck with a maximum towing capacity of about 9000 pounds. Gross Vehicle Weight of the trailer should be 80% of Maximum Towing Capacity of the tow vehicle.

Pushing the limits of a tow vehicle requires you to slow down and leave room for longer stopping distances. Slower down long steep hills is also prudent.

Note that actual tongue weights of trailers are often much higher than the published weights. Get it weighed.

A Lincoln Navigator would be a horrible choice to pull this trailer….
AlaskaKeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:15 AM   #12

We do see some really bad advice on this forum - agree horrible advice.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:37 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaseyinTX View Post
The last thing we want to do is spend money on a tow vehicle that isn't going to work well.
All the experts here will agree that any modern (2010+) 3/4T diesel will work well for that trailer. There will be many discussions about whether or not you can get by with which various configurations of 1/2T trucks and 1/2T SUVs. Are there some forms and trims of 1/2T trucks (and SUVs) that would work? Sure. But you have to really pay attention to the details*. And I've not heard you say anything about wanting any of the things that drive people to 1/2T trucks (gotta fit in my garage, doesn't it waste a lot of fuel when I'm not towing, we have too many kids to fit in a truck). Just set your mind on a 3/4T diesel, go find one in whatever combination of price, color and luxury interior you desire and your budget allows and the result will be a tow vehicle that's going to work well with that trailer.

*What payload and what rear axle does this truck on this dealer's lot have?
Old 09-19-2021, 10:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_the_ee View Post
All the experts here will agree that any modern (2010+) 3/4T diesel will work well for that trailer. There will be many discussions about whether or not you can get by with which various configurations of 1/2T trucks and 1/2T SUVs. Are there some forms and trims of 1/2T trucks (and SUVs) that would work? Sure. But you have to really pay attention to the details*. And I've not heard you say anything about wanting any of the things that drive people to 1/2T trucks (gotta fit in my garage, doesn't it waste a lot of fuel when I'm not towing, we have too many kids to fit in a truck). Just set your mind on a 3/4T diesel, go find one in whatever combination of price, color and luxury interior you desire and your budget allows and the result will be a tow vehicle that's going to work well with that trailer.

*What payload and what rear axle does this truck on this dealer's lot have?

I haven't looked at any trucks specifically. Just started out with some email inquiries. The past 4-5 vehicles we have purchased I have done all of the negotiating online. I want to know exactly what I want without anyone at a dealership "selling" me anything or trying to change my mind.

Another reply mentioned that I had not said anything about any specifics of what I needed. We are actually pretty open to anything. We don't have to worry about fitting a truck in our garage or a driveway and we don't have to worry about extra people traveling with us. We are open to either diesel or gas, just wasn't sure if the extra cost of the diesel would be worth it. My husband has left the truck buying decision to me and that's why I have come to y'all! I know someone posted that a 1/2 ton would be fine for Texas, and that's probably where the majority of our travel will be, but we would like to go farther every now and then. Used trucks here (and I'm sure everywhere) are nuts. We more than likely will buy new.
KaseyinTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow