Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2015, 09:17 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
When I was working in construction the only fellow who supplied GM vehicles to his crews owned part of the local dealership.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2015, 11:14 PM   #58

GM makes a good truck the Duramax motor has never had the crap problems that some Ford diesels have and the tranny is rock solid. And they are good looking looking
Unlike a certain truck that looke like it has two chrome plated 2× 12 s for a grill. Looks like they got that grill design from the wrecker im the Cars movie ! Lol
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:41 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfsofwar View Post
I believe (and this is totally personal opinion) that the brand loyalists of days past are slowly giving way to a newer generation of "buy what works, looks best, and I get a good deal on" which may be why.

I can't say that I'm exactly loyal but I have always owned ford vehicles including 4 F-series trucks. After owning a problematic 6.0 I was concerned going back to a ford diesel with the 6.7 even though my research tells me those particular issues were fixed.

To your point, what won me over with the Ram was that I was able to pick up a fully loaded new 2015 Laramie 3500 DRW for about $52k out the door. That with the fact the interior and comforts are currently so much better than Ford (for me) it seemed like an easy choice.
04266832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:52 AM   #60

Thanks, everyone!

This has been a very enlightening thread.....thanks so much for your input. I think at this point what we'll do is shop for all three. But more than likely we'll end up with the GM, although much will depend on the comfort and interior fit and finish. It seems that 2 of the main reasons people veer away from GM is because of price and problems with the dealers. Well, our dealer is excellent.....it's where we bought our current truck. And since my husband gets a discount, more than likely it would be about even with the amount we'd have to spend on a Ram or Ford. So it will take us awhile.....haven't even closed a deal on our fifth wheel yet......but I'll try to remember to get back here and let you know what we decided. Thanks again!
fiddleddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:04 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
GMC branded pickups are the reliability leader according to Consumer Reports at the time they gathered info for the '15 model year.
Not hard to be the reliability leader when its sitting on a dealership lot or in a driveway only towing groceries. Or the occasional washer dryer replacement.
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:27 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
We just completed our treck from NW WA tho SoCal. Usually RAM is #1 by far with independent RV haulers/HotShotters a ways behind is GM and Ford is way behind. A few years ago it was RAM, Ford and GM.

This trip we did not see a single GM of Ford. Similar story in the full timers Campgrounds.

Heck if any of you have been members of the Suites Owners Forums there has been a drastic change there in ownership since I joined 4 years age. Back then the vast majority were F450's. Now RAM and GM are well represented there.
Interesting you say that. Here are my observations.

The gentleman who delivered our RV drove a 2013 F350 SWR 6.7 with 325,000 problem free miles. He said he'd only had a few minor issues when the truck hit 250,000. He said that the majority of private haulers drive either F350 or F450 truck. So i guess that it goes both ways, or is a regional thing. In the picture below, you can see his white F350. He said that the Fords run much better in the colder weather than both RAM and GM Diesels. He also owns a Wrecker company that runs all SDs for their med and light duty trucks. Says he primarily hauls large Fivers.

Plus, if you look at what the VAST majority of oil field companies run....F250/350s. No question on that one. They don't only buy trucks based on price either, they buy the ones that won't slow business down.. which means they need to be a reliable as possible.

You ask the oil field guys which truck they prefer.....they will tell you that all Light Duty trucks are junk because they don't last 2,000,000 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	110961  
Old 11-02-2015, 07:39 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddleddd View Post
This has been a very enlightening thread.....thanks so much for your input. I think at this point what we'll do is shop for all three. But more than likely we'll end up with the GM, although much will depend on the comfort and interior fit and finish. It seems that 2 of the main reasons people veer away from GM is because of price and problems with the dealers. Well, our dealer is excellent.....it's where we bought our current truck. And since my husband gets a discount, more than likely it would be about even with the amount we'd have to spend on a Ram or Ford. So it will take us awhile.....haven't even closed a deal on our fifth wheel yet......but I'll try to remember to get back here and let you know what we decided. Thanks again!
Actually GM trucks are less expensive right now. I could have purchased a similar equipped GMC Denali 3500 Duramax with every feature plus a bunch of dealer aftermarket features for $58,000 which was about $10k less than a F350 Kingranch I looked at. GMC and Chevy seam to be positioning their pricing to reflect the fact that their trucks haven't seen any significant upgrades in some time.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:53 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy.lawless View Post
I can't say that I'm exactly loyal but I have always owned ford vehicles including 4 F-series trucks. After owning a problematic 6.0 I was concerned going back to a ford diesel with the 6.7 even though my research tells me those particular issues were fixed.

To your point, what won me over with the Ram was that I was able to pick up a fully loaded new 2015 Laramie 3500 DRW for about $52k out the door. That with the fact the interior and comforts are currently so much better than Ford (for me) it seemed like an easy choice.
I'm glad you enjoy your RAM. The main thing that steered me away from a 2015/16 RAM (which I seriously considered) was the fact that if I wanted the 30k towing capability I would have had to really hunt for one or build it. Their are like 45 different configuration options and you need to get it exactly right to end up with the magical 30k towing number. You can actually have two identical looking 6.7 RAM Laramie Longhorn Dually trucks sitting side by side. One might only have a 19k towing capacity and the other might have a 30k towing capacity. You really have to know exactly what specs are needed to get to the magical 30k with RAM. With my F450, there is only 1 package that automatically gets you the 32,400 towing.

Also, my father purchased a 2013 Laramie Longhorn and had SOOO many electrical problems. They actually had to swap his nav/radio out 3 times because it kept having problems. Another occurrence of strange problems RAMs tend to have occurred yesterday. My uncle has a 2015 RAM 2500 Laramie. We were at his Ranch this weekend. Since my truck had the generator in the back connected to our trailer, we took his truck to pick up some supplies. When we were getting ready to take off, he walked around to unlock my door with the key for some reason. I asked why and he did that....boy, I wasn't ready for his rant.

He said that about 2 month after buying the truck, the drives front and rear doors started locking and unlocking randomly. And then the passenger side doors started doing the same thing at random. And then his factory alarm would start going off in the middle of the night. Then his backup camera would turn on randomly. Then all of a sudden his truck wouldn't start one morning.

He's had the truck at two local dealers who both couldn't reproduce the problem the first time and refused to work on his truck. He then was able to reproduce the issue at one dealership which couldn't find out why his truck was acting up during the 3 days they had it. They ordered a new Body Control Module for the truck and installed it. He now does not have any power door lock capability and his backup camera no longer works. He is in the process of lemon pawing his truck. He's Not very happy.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:58 AM   #65

"Their are like 45 different configuration options and you need to get it exactly right to end up with the magical 30k towing number"

Nothing "Magical" about it. They sell trucks with options so people can choose what they want.

Real simple if you want to tow near 30K with a DRW Crew 4X4 you just get the 4:10 with Aisin trans. Oh yea that "Magical" stuff is SAE rated. Not just "Claimed" like Ford does with their 250/350 line. The F450's are SAE rated and I am sure all of the F series trucks will be in 2017 when they finally come out with a modern truck.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:01 AM   #66

Government agencies have gotten so tired of the Blue Oval along with towing companies that these trucks are popping up all over the place.

Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:12 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Government agencies have gotten so tired of the Blue Oval along with towing companies that these trucks are popping up all over the place.

Common sight...seeing the RAMs being towed jk....I joke I joke

All seriousness though. You have to be joking or delusional to think that any real swing has been made to RAMs from Ford for EOC, EMS, PD, or SD agencies. I work directly with over 200 Local/State Government agencies. I'm also on several EOC boards as well as manage communications for a major company that provides technology strictly to Government Agencies, including DHS (CBP, ICE, BP, CG). They are all at least 80% Ford and continue to be. Shoot, DHS is swapping almost ALL their Tahoes out for F150, F250s. They have removed MOST of their RAMs from service and have switched to Super Dutys. They are even deploying thousands of Raptors.

It's not hard to find pictures online of EMS units in all makes. BUT, the overwhelmingly high numbers of picture will be Super Dutys (F450/F550s) in the EMS Space
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	334.7 KB
ID:	110980  
Old 11-02-2015, 09:14 AM   #68

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobra View Post
Common sight...seeing the RAMs being towed delivered