Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #71

Just got diesel...I only saw SD Ford's at the Sheetz here in the VA east coast. I counted 6 trucks. All Fords...

So this part of the country did not get the memo to switch to Ram...ugb.

I call 'bogus' Ram guy trying his hardest to skew the facts.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 09:53 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
All joke though.

I actually like many features of both Rams and Gms.

I recently made a post in a Ford forum outlining what I would consider the perfect blended truck.
Here is a copy of the post:
If you could build the ultimate Super Duty using parts and cues from ONLY Current model BIG 3 HD trucks, what would it be? (Not the 2017 SD or 2016 RAM)

Mine would be
2015 F450 Dually Body
Ford High Strength Steel Front Section
Ford Towing Mirrors
Ford Manstep
Ford Seats
Ford 6.7L Powerstroke
Ford Tranny
Ford Fiver Prep
Ford 19.5 Wheels/Tires
Ford Dana S130 Axle
GM High Strength Frame
GM High Strength Steel Mid Section
GM NAV
GM Bed AC Outlet
GM Bumper Step
RAM Dash/Door Panels
RAM LED Headlights/Taillights
RAM Ramboxes
RAM Push Button Start
RAM OEM rear Air Bags
Toyota Slide Down Rear Window (Awesome)
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:02 PM   #73

When did GM go with a high strength steel frame. Know they greatly improved the frame in 2011 but was unaware it was high strength steel. I am taking about the 2500 and 3500 series.

I lost track of the 1/2 ton 1500 series.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:51 PM   #74

In 2011 they increased the use of HSS in their frame. It uses thicker metal than the RAM but about 2mm thinner than the .26" thick Super Dutys frame.

Interesting fact though, all the manufacturers talk about using High Strength Steel in their frames now but Ford actually holds the patent on using it in the front section around the sides and structure of the engine. GM primarily uses it for the cab and RAM uses it for the majority of their frame structure. This allows them to go with a much thinner gauge metal. I prefer the thickness of the Super Dutys frame or the thicker Boxed frame on the GM product.

Most people don't really understand the concept of frames. The reality is that almost all class 3 trucks have frames that will far exceed the overuse scenario any owner/business would subject them to. In the even of a frame being damaged, you probably would have already lost the tires, axle, suspension, or other component first. Boxed frames (even though Ford is even making the switch in the SD in 2017) is a gimmick. Sure, a boxed frame is much rigid per se, but not necessarily because of the boxed design. The rigidity of the cross members has more to do with it since that is generally the pivot/flex point.

If you overload a truck frame when it's boxed you take a risk of buckling the frame causing much more severe damage that if it were an open C frame. I know the argument is made that you "want" some flex in the frame to deal with loads. However, it not that you want some flexibility, it's just that you DON'T want a boxed frame to buckle. That would require extensive repair and probably the need to cut the buckled section out and replaced. Open-C frames will bend in and out of shape long before they buckle.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:11 PM   #75

I made my dream truck also . I am driving it. Simple. I crack up reading all this mine is better then yours . Keep it up it is fun reading.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy.lawless View Post
To your point, what won me over with the Ram was that I was able to pick up a fully loaded new 2015 Laramie 3500 DRW for about $52k out the door. That with the fact the interior and comforts are currently so much better than Ford (for me) it seemed like an easy choice.
Yup, this is exactly what I am talking about. Ford makes an excellent truck there is no question- they all do in fact. I can't think of any brand truck that I would "steer clear of" for reliability or capability. I test drove a 250 prior to buying my Ram and it was a really close decision, but it ultimately came down to "what am I getting for my dollar" and the Ram won.

Money talks, and it talks real loud.
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:49 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobra View Post
All joke though.

I actually like many features of both Rams and Gms.

I recently made a post in a Ford forum outlining what I would consider the perfect blended truck.
Here is a copy of the post:
If you could build the ultimate Super Duty using parts and cues from ONLY Current model BIG 3 HD trucks, what would it be? (Not the 2017 SD or 2016 RAM)

Mine would be
2015 F450 Dually Body
Ford High Strength Steel Front Section
Ford Towing Mirrors
Ford Manstep
Ford Seats
Ford 6.7L Powerstroke
Ford Tranny
Ford Fiver Prep
Ford 19.5 Wheels/Tires
Ford Dana S130 Axle
GM High Strength Frame
GM High Strength Steel Mid Section
GM NAV
GM Bed AC Outlet
GM Bumper Step
RAM Dash/Door Panels
RAM LED Headlights/Taillights
RAM Ramboxes
RAM Push Button Start
RAM OEM rear Air Bags
Toyota Slide Down Rear Window (Awesome)

Mine kinda similar to yours...except a cummins 6b motor, not a v-8 diesel. Sorry I will never own a v-8 diesel again. I like my power low and strong not pinned and in the wind
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:01 PM   #78

Around here the Ford SD dominates fleet vehicles, but a few years back most switched to the 6.2l gas as the 6.0 and 6.4 diesels were plagued by problems. Many from poor maintenance.

Ford diesels in the private sector are probably most common, with Ram 2nd and GM 3rd. People like their Cummins.

Here is something of note,
Ram. F-Series. Chevy
2010 199,652. 528,349. 370,135
2014. 439,751. 753,851. 529,755
+240,099 +225,502. +159,620

Ram has made a significant push in market share.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:27 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobra View Post
Common sight...seeing the RAMs being towed jk....I joke I joke

All seriousness though. You have to be joking or delusional to think that any real swing has been made to RAMs from Ford for EOC, EMS, PD, or SD agencies. I work directly with over 200 Local/State Government agencies. I'm also on several EOC boards as well as manage communications for a major company that provides technology strictly to Government Agencies, including DHS (CBP, ICE, BP, CG). They are all at least 80% Ford and continue to be. Shoot, DHS is swapping almost ALL their Tahoes out for F150, F250s. They have removed MOST of their RAMs from service and have switched to Super Dutys. They are even deploying thousands of Raptors.

It's not hard to find pictures online of EMS units in all makes. BUT, the overwhelmingly high numbers of picture will be Super Dutys (F450/F550s) in the EMS Space
I love it when people put words in my mouth! All I said was "Government agencies have gotten so tired of the Blue Oval along with towing companies that these trucks are popping up all over the place" Ambulances and Tow Trucks are changing to RAM in a lot of places. NEVER used to see a RAM in either application.

They are replacing the Fords with the Medium Duty Internationals also.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
I love it when people put words in my mouth! All I said was "Government agencies have gotten so tired of the Blue Oval along with towing companies that these trucks are popping up all over the place" Ambulances and Tow Trucks are changing to RAM in a lot of places. NEVER used to see a RAM in either application.

I've seen it as well. You still see lots of Fords and gm just are seeing lots of ram trucks where you use to not see them.

There was an article in our local paper a few years ago about the switch from Ford to gm for ambulances. It stated so many problems with the 6.0 and 6.4 diesels they couldn't keep them in service. The article stated the gm vans cost $xxxx more than ford and that's why they needed approval to not accept the low bid. A buddy of mine (emt) said they had still had several issues with the gm ambulances but nothing like the old fords.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
I made my dream truck also . I am driving it. Simple. I crack up reading all this mine is better then yours . Keep it up it is fun reading.
^^At least there is 2 of us on here among the vast sea of ford ovals & ram horns, at least we havn't heard from the toyo guys now 6 pages in .
Old 11-03-2015, 07:49 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post

I agree that there has been a huge increase in the number of RAM trucks used in the EMS space. Most are replacing the Ford E vans as well as older 6.0 Super Dutys. I think it's more because of the aggressive pricing each manufacturer tries to offer to earn the business. RAMs have definitely improved just about every aspect of their product and I actually like them. I just preferred some features of my Ford and chose to go that way.

If RAM had a more reliable nav, Ford like towing mirrors, and the man step (which, regardless of what naysayers think, is an outstanding feature), I probably would have gone the way of RAM this go around. It would be nice if they had a max tow package on the 3500 (or even a 4500 pickup option) that included the wide track front axle, the large DANA S130 rear axle, and a 10 lug 19.5" wheel option like on their med duty trucks,
Old 11-03-2015, 08:46 PM   #83

To add to this, the ERT, DRT, and EOC I help manage just switched to RAM HD trucks from Fords (2008-2010 Super Dutys) a few years ago. Here are some pictures from events, FSEs, and disaster relief activities I help manage.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:35 AM   #84

Winnebago Owners Club
Seems to be a cycle of who gets to provide vehicles under contract. It is all about price and it depends how aggressive the manufacturer decides to be.

I can recall in past years when the agency I worked for was purchasing Dodges. This was in the years when the floor boards would rust or corrode out within a couple years, the doors would be misaligned within a couple months, etc. It came down to a $7 per unit difference one year over a much better truck.

Fortunately the quality of Dodges improved substantially in subsequent years.

Tags
tow