Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2015, 08:57 AM   #1

What truck to purchase?

Hello, My wife and I have a Dodge Durango w/5.7 v8 hemi, and are towing a 25ret Keystone Cougar, GVWR 7200lbs. No problems on flat land, but when we travel in the NC Mountains the Durango has all it wants. We have decided our camper is to small for us and 4 dogs.
We are trying to decide if we want to upgrade to a 32' or 34' rear living travel trailer, with GVWR'S of 9000lbs and 10,000lbs. Are thinking we need a 3/4 ton truck, with a v8 and a 8' bed. Not sure which brand truck is best? any ideas? thanks.
partsben is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2015, 09:05 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
We have a F350 with a 6.7 litre engine. I think most of the HD trucks out there would do the job for you. I would suggest staying away from the 6 litre Fords. We owned one and had a lot of problems with it. As for a 3/4 ton? I would for pretty much the same or slightly more money buy a SRW 1 ton. Good luck with your search and choice.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:48 AM   #3

My trailer has a GVWR of 10K. My SRW 3500 diesel Ram tows it comfortably. I like 8' beds because I haul toys and stuff.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:26 AM   #4

I am getting in the same boat as you.... Looking at 'some day' selling our smaller class A and trading the Grand Cherokee in on a truck.. 3/4 ton minimum... No dually for me,, as it would be a daily driver.. (my choice) ... Then a TT 28-32 foot rear living I figure with a slide or two...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsben View Post
Hello, My wife and I have a Dodge Durango w/5.7 v8 hemi, and are towing a 25ret Keystone Cougar, GVWR 7200lbs. No problems on flat land, but when we travel in the NC Mountains the Durango has all it wants. We have decided our camper is to small for us and 4 dogs.
We are trying to decide if we want to upgrade to a 32' or 34' rear living travel trailer, with GVWR'S of 9000lbs and 10,000lbs. Are thinking we need a 3/4 ton truck, with a v8 and a 8' bed. Not sure which brand truck is best? any ideas? thanks.
I would recommend any model of truck that meets the SAE J2807 towing specs.
As these trucks have been tested an certified to meet the towing requirements that are set forth by SAE and agree to by the automotive manufactures.

As of this year there are only two that can meet this requirement; they are Ram and Toyota. With Ram having a full line up between the 1500 throught the 3500 pick-up trucks. Anything else is just blowing in the wind.

Jim W.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:54 AM   #6

I agree with Fred 1609 as the difference between 3/4 and 1 ton is minimal and who knows you may upsize again in a few years.
pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:15 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Any of the big 3 American trucks will do nicely. Not much money difference to go with a 3500 series so you might as well. For heavier towing than 8000 pounds or so the foreign trucks just cannot compete.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:33 PM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Look at the towing guides and pick one that will handle the trailer. Remember you are legally responsible for having an adequate tow vehicle, if you have an accident and do not have an adequate tow vehicle you may be looking at felony charges in some states.

Chevy:
http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...ide_122215.pdf

Ford:

Towing Guides | fleet.ford.com

Ram:

Ram Trucks - Towing Capacity Chart
Old 04-02-2015, 05:58 PM   #9

All three of the big three have their plusses and minuses. I'd suggest a one ton no matter which you buy.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:17 AM   #10

i have a 2003 F250 crew cab 2wd diesel pulling a 2015 Grand Design Reflection 37' 4 slide bunkhouse trailer weighing 11K dry with kingpin weight of 2K. I bought this trailer to fit my truck, and consider it to be about the maximum weight for my truck. I put a set of AirRide airbags on the rear, and it pulls my trailer well.

What concerns me most is the braking on the truck/trailer combination. We camp in really big mountains, and 8 degree downhill roads can get nerve racking. You want your truck and trailer to be a balanced package. Any of the Big 3 3/4 ton/1 ton trucks will do a fine job for you. I just prefer Ford over the others.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:20 AM   #11

Bamaman,
Have you ever actually determined the pin weight as towed for camping?
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:04 AM   #12

All I have to say for this poster requirements is; if the truck you are looking for does not meet SAE J2807 then why consider the truck. This is the standard that all of the manufactures have agree to meet but some have failed to test and meet this standard. So I ask why???

All they have to do is tow up the Davis Damn road without overheating and being able to meet certain performance levels.

Here is a link that explains what they need to do.
That Dam Towing Test: New SAE Trailering Standards Explained - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver

And the test results.
Ram goes all-in on SAE J2807 tow ratings [w/video]

Jim W.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:56 PM   #13

"partsben", another thing you might want to consider,,, (we sure are) is a regular crew cab 4 door pickup , at least the Rams, (don't about Chevy's and Fords) has a center hump in the floor And is built up under the seat. We plan on taking the back seat out to make room for our 'kids' . (two Danes) The "Mega cab" has a flat floor, even under the rear seat, so there would be plenty of room for the kids.
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
All I have to say for this poster requirements is; if the truck you are looking for does not meet SAE J2807 then why consider the truck. This is the standard that all of the manufactures have agree to meet but some have failed to test and meet this standard. So I ask why???

All they have to do is tow up the Davis Damn road without overheating and being able to meet certain performance levels.

Here is a link that explains what they need to do.
That Dam Towing Test: New SAE Trailering Standards Explained - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver

And the test results.
Ram goes all-in on SAE J2807 tow ratings [w/video]

Jim W.
I guess if any member out there has a truck that doesn't meet the new towing standards then you better sell it and don't even think of towing with it because it is unsafe. The new towing standards are all that matter and you better not take any chances because you will be held responsible for any problems because your truck didn't meet the new towing standards and you knew it and still put people's lives in danger. Now I feel better!
Really?
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase