Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2022, 03:00 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
No doubt the autos will pull more..I just like manuals and ram hasn't been known for their auto trannys..But Cummins makes a great motor...I'm not hauling a 23k 5er so it's not an issue. And the control I have in the mountains is hands down better than any auto..jmho.
I have the 68rfe in my 2016 3500, and it pulls my big fiver with no issues. Keep up with the maintenance and they'll last. You can also option the Aisin transmission as well. The pre-2007(ish) Rams were the ones known for their unreliability. Aside from that one, I really don't know that I'd be too concerned with the newer ones.
Nlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2022, 03:16 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I have the 68rfe in my 2016 3500, and it pulls my big fiver with no issues. Keep up with the maintenance and they'll last. You can also option the Aisin transmission as well. The pre-2007(ish) Rams were the ones known for their unreliability. Aside from that one, I really don't know that I'd be too concerned with the newer ones.
I'm a member of various ram forums and although I dont mod my truck these guys are constantly wrecking these trannys 68rfe andthe aisens.. adding power they dont hold up..but I'm not a tweaker in that respect.. so stock I guess they are ok...I just hear horrors in the other forums.
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 03:29 PM   #45

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
The perfect truck would have 3 things

Aluminum body like the new Ford.

The Allison transmission lake in the GM products.

And a Cummins in-line six cylinder diesel like the Dodge.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 02:17 PM   #46

Quote:
I'm a member of various ram forums and although I dont mod my truck these guys are constantly wrecking these trannys 68rfe andthe aisens.. adding power they dont hold up..but I'm not a tweaker in that respect.. so stock I guess they are ok...I just hear horrors in the other forums.
Well yea... if you crank up the HP and don't beef up the trans to hold it, you'll smoke the torque converter. They're rated to hold the stock HP/TQ of the 6.7. Nothing more. They do that by fluid coupling, where it eases the power to the trans instead of instantly locking and dumping it.

I deleted my previous one and left it on stock HP. Ran great for many trouble free miles towing.

Truth told though, I had an F250 at one point that was running a really hot tune and it smoked the trans (amongst other things).
Nlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 03:26 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboat View Post
The perfect truck would have 3 things

Aluminum body like the new Ford.

The Allison transmission lake in the GM products.

And a Cummins in-line six cylinder diesel like the Dodge.

Keep in mind that for the past couple years the "Allison" 10 speed transmission in the heavy duty (2500-3500) pickups is not really made by Allison. Its made by GM and they put the Allison name on it.

You can still get the heavy duty Allison tranny, still a 6 speed, in the 4500 and 5500 series pickups.
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/12...ly-an-allison/
deserteagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 03:30 PM   #48

troll?

7 starting posts by jbrow327,no reply to any of them i could locate.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 08:47 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Pick anyone of the newer Big 3 trucks and you will do OK. All are pretty equal. Just go with which one fits your budget and the seat fits your rear end.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 07:32 AM   #50

The advertising that GM did about the Allison transmission was very effective!
LanceKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:24 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
7 starting posts by jbrow327,no reply to any of them i could locate.
And we have a winner!
Grit dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:21 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Another thought for the best diesel in a truck....it is the one that is paid off.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:53 PM   #53

Quote:

I am on Ram forums and I must have missed all the tranny horror stories you are alluding too . I don’t care what you drive you start adding lots of power without beefing up the rest of the drive train you are going to have problems . I had 50 k plus towing a 15 k 5th wheel with a 68 RFE in a 14 3500 Ram up the Rockies everywhere . Still running over 100k . The Aisin which l now have is a great heavy duty tranny . In-line 6 builds torque lower than an 8 . A 6 speed works fine with it . Older Rams 06 and earlier did have weak trannys .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 09:13 AM   #54

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I’ve had two Ram 3500’s with the 68RFE and towed approximately 60k miles between the trucks. Never an issue with the transmission. Services done at the scheduled intervals have revealed nothing in the way of overheat or other troubles. Before I purchased my first Ram I spoke to the owner of a transmission shop about the 68RFE as I had heard the horror stories. He said that almost all the ones he repaired had been chipped or tuned for more HP or had many miles of hard towing on them and didn’t break but simply were wore out. I’m sure there are people who have had bad experiences out there but are there as many as social media claims or just the same stories regurgitated over and over. I plan to enjoy my truck and enjoy travelling with it. I’m more worried about the Mickey Mouse DEF system than any transmission. My truck was laid up for 5 weeks waiting on the DEF heater hose. How these companies haven’t had to face a class action suit over that poorly designed and engineered DEF system is beyond me.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 09:50 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
I am on Ram forums and I must have missed all the tranny horror stories you are alluding too . I don’t care what you drive you start adding lots of power without beefing up the rest of the drive train you are going to have problems . I had 50 k plus towing a 15 k 5th wheel with a 68 RFE in a 14 3500 Ram up the Rockies everywhere . Still running over 100k . The Aisin which l now have is a great heavy duty tranny . In-line 6 builds torque lower than an 8 . A 6 speed works fine with it . Older Rams 06 and earlier did have weak trannys .
I have a 06 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Mega Cab 5.9 Diesel with the 48RE trans. No issues and I have 155,000 miles on it. I pull an 13K lb fifth wheel or a 14K lb deck over trailer. Just leave them stock and do the maintenance and you will be fine. My 17 F350 DRW is a great truck also. Any of the big three will do great. Just leave them stock, run good fuel, and do the maintenance. I have driven all 3 new drw one tons. Things I like and dont like about each one. Drive them and pick the one that fits you.
Dieselguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:08 PM   #56

Any diesel is better than no diesel especially if it's paid off as TXiceman noted.

Tags
diesel