Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2022, 10:06 PM   #1

What's the best diesel in a pickup?

Let's say 2010 and later, what is the most reliable and powerful diesel engine you can get in a pickup?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think towing comes down to 3 things:

1. Torque rating at the wheels. (Manufacturer numbers are at the crank. So your looking for as little drivetrain loss as possible.)

2. Torque curve. The most torque you can have at any given RPM.

3. Axle ratio. The higher the number the better.

Discuss.
Name the model years after 2010 that are reliable and why.
Jbrow327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2022, 04:02 AM   #2

You could throw a blanket over all of them. You just like stirring the pot don't you?
Old 04-07-2022, 04:42 AM   #3

If you want a useful discussion on this subject you should really specify what it is you want to tow. Are you towing a travel trailer or a 5th wheel? If a 5th wheel, then how big and how heavy? Single wheel or dually? You also forgot to ask what is the best transmission. Is this just a trailer hauler, work truck and or everyday driver?

FWIW my 2021 RAM 2500 diesel seems pretty rock solid. I'm towing an Airstream with a 1000 pound tongue weight and 8500 pound max gross weight. Drives very nice, gets around 13 MPG towing, 21 Highway without the trailer.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 05:48 AM   #4

I plead the fifth.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:27 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You seem to have defined "best" as "most powerful". Once the power is adequate for the load (towed or carried), I'm not sure that more is better. Don't get me wrong - I enjoy sprightly performance, but beyond some point other factors are important too, e.g. fuel economy, reliability, ease of service, etc. For example, I don't want a rear axle ratio any higher than necessary to move my rig easily. As long as it is well-matched to the engine rpms and torque curve, it doesn't have to be "high". And larger diesels typically have a very low rpm range, e.g. 500-2000 rpms, so the peak torque or HP rpm is rarely far away.

In short, I'm more interested in a well-balanced powertrain than maximizing any particular parameter.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:28 AM   #6

Any one of the big three will get the job done. There's not a dimes worth of difference in the specs. Ford is the highest power at 1,050 torque and 475HP. Duramax is last with 910 torque and 445 HP. In the real world they are all going to be so close that it's a wash. All have premium interiors depending on package, and all are available with about the same bells and whistles.

I opted for a loaded LTZ Duramax and it will effortlessly pull a 38' 16,000# toy hauler faster than anyone needs to be towing. I recently pulled up the Mogollon Rim on I-17 out of Phoenix at about 60 mph which is about all one should be doing with the curves and traffic.

Duramax and Cummins are both proven engines, and I suppose the Ford is also. I have just been leery of Ford since the 6.0 and 6.4 almost bankrupted the company.

If you want detailed info concerning towing capabilities, fuel economy, etc. try looking at tests that have been done on the Gantlet on I-70 in Colorado.
Bill Nourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 05:29 PM   #7

This is like asking what beer is better, what whiskey is better, who's wife is hotter.....
Old 04-07-2022, 06:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
This is like asking what beer is better, what whiskey is better, who's wife is hotter.....
Mine, mine, mine.

Forums traditionally attract trolling questions...and they tend to result in what they are after...lots of arguing.

Answer: it depends.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 05:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post

Or how you only have 7 posts in 3 years…….
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 05:14 AM   #10

Ram is the best, no wait GM is the best, no wait Ford is the best.

These 3 seem to leap frog each other which only last 1 maybe 2 years before the leap frogger becomes the leap froggy.

2011 all trucks got better than 2010. GM introduced a new frame, Ford introduced new engines and Ram kept up. I would also say in 2022 they are producing the best trucks that have ever been on this planet.

Any truck will do what an RV person wants. Now if I was going to tow 35,000lbs I might do more research but for me I will pick the one I like most.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 06:38 AM   #11

Its just IMO but after owning and operating them from a commercial perspective....the white one is best.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 09:33 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I like white trucks for towing. The white paint is easier to keep clean. But as to the engine, it seems that they have all had a few issues. The ones to stay as away from and I mean a long way away, are the Ford 6.0L and 6.4L diesels.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 10:00 AM   #13

Why doesn’t the Troll Patrol report the crime?
Aren’t we also supposed to be nice and provide helpful answers?

2010 is the dawn of the DEF transition. I’d go pre-DEF Cummins, which I’ve seen as late as 2012 or pre-DEF Duramax, (2010). The engine won’t be the weak link.

I’d also recommend doing some research outside of this forum, if you’d like to get information other than people telling you to get what they have.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 10:28 AM   #14

there are no good diesels in pick ups based on the question. when you have emissions the require def then you have added sooooo much back pressure the engine cannot breathe well. that will cut years off the life span. when you design trucks that require mechanice to lift cabs off, its not a good truck. all because the general population cannot figure out how to park a truck that 10" longer. the better question would be "which later model deisel engine has the least number of problems?" duramax (isuzu) is out of the running right from the start. i have owned power strokes for many years. all of them have been 7.3 ltre engines for good reason. i will not buy a newer diesel pick up truck due to complete lack of longevety and poor design. you will be better off buying a gas engine or a class 6 truck.
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel