Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2023, 10:45 AM   #253

I see my thread has really gotten a lot of attention; and here I was only wondering if I would be sin taxed in a few years !!!

Currently without travel trailer
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2023, 11:12 AM   #254

Yes - I see a sin tax for EV's in the near future. Somebody has to pay for the roads. EV's I think weigh more than a normal car so the are harder on the roads and especially hard on tires.
Old 03-22-2023, 11:18 AM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Yes - I see a sin tax for EV's in the near future. Somebody has to pay for the roads. EV's I think weigh more than a normal car so the are harder on the roads and especially hard on tires.
Tbey are heavier. Our model Y weighs about 400 pounds more than a comparable sized grand Cherokee. But if they charge based on weight shouldn’t all the big 6000 pound SUV’s pay more as well?

I have no problem with a small road tax compensation fee. As long as it’s not punitive as sooner or later everyone is going to be paying it.
Old 03-22-2023, 11:25 AM   #256

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayRunner View Post
My daughter has a Prius and really likes it. It’s not the plug in because the EV range was only 25 miles. This was not worth the extra cost and the need to plug it in every night. It does get 58 mpg and she only has to put gas in every 3 to 4 weeks.

Now the new redesigned 2023 model looks nice. It has a EV range of over 50 so looks promising.
My son bought what they call "the poor man's Prius".
It's a Toyota, I think it's a Corolla, it runs all electric for about the same number of miles as the Prius above. I think he paid just over $20k new in 2021. Gets near 50 mpg he hardly ever puts gas in it commuting round trip about 30 miles a day
Old 03-22-2023, 12:06 PM   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
But if they charge based on weight shouldn’t all the big 6000 pound SUV’s pay more as well?
Some states already do. Which is why it cost me $267 to renew the registration on my 19 year old Dodge/Cummins long bed dually that weighs close to 9000 lb, twice as much as for my Jeep of the same vintage.
Old 03-22-2023, 04:09 PM   #258

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Automobile Company Boards and Executives are not as stupid as many of the posts on this thread would suggest. There is no government mandate or regulation in this country on EVs. But there is in China…imagine that. Are they stupid too? The market is simply reacting to anticipated demand for more EVs. Certainly, charging infrastructure lags and will take some to catch up. But the argument in favor of fossil fuels seems to be focused on the use of fossil fuels to generate electricity. If the future of electricity production is dependent on fossil fuels, why then are the biggest investors in renewables vested in the fossil fuel industry. In the US the biggest investors is the oil/gas industry. Internationally the single biggest investor in renewables is Saudi Arabia. So, I suppose they’re all stupid too? So stupid that they jack up the price of fossil fuels on a whim, or because they believe the American consumer can bear more pain. Continuing to invest heavily on all renewables, solar, wind, tidal, hydro, and even nuclear will relieve the pressure to continue making fossil fuels the dominating solution for electricity needs, and might just loosen the choke hold the oil/gas/coal industry has on America’s economy. Maybe it won’t turn completely around before I’m pushing up daisies, but there’s hope that my grandchildren won’t inherit an dead planet thanks to fossil fuels.

One more thing: I’d like anybody who believes an EV consumes more fossil fuel (for KWH produced) per mile than an ICE vehicle of similar dimensions uses to combust, to post their scientific source. If that’s correct I’m willing to read the science and learn, but not willing to drink the kool-aid being posted.
This is the first I have heard there are no mandates. Sales of EV vehicles have definite quotas that are in the near future.

Manufacturers will go along with any opportunity for market sales. There is a huge amount of vehicles that under the current mandates will be replaced as parts, service and fuel become harder to acquire.
Old 03-22-2023, 04:16 PM   #259

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Tbey are heavier. Our model Y weighs about 400 pounds more than a comparable sized grand Cherokee. But if they charge based on weight shouldn’t all the big 6000 pound SUV’s pay more as well?

I have no problem with a small road tax compensation fee. As long as it’s not punitive as sooner or later everyone is going to be paying it.
You can work out the approximate tax by looking at the amount paid at the pumps in your province and divide it by say 10 (assuming ICE averages 10 litres per 100 km or 10 km per litre). This is the amount every replacement vehicle would have to contribute to the tax base to maintain the current income level the province collects.

EV may be getting a tax holiday but the cost of building and maintaining roadways will continue.

If you live in Metro Vancouver the total tax is about 0.60 a litre.
Old 03-22-2023, 04:24 PM   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
You can work out the approximate tax by looking at the amount paid at the pumps in your province and divide it by say 10 (assuming ICE averages 10 litres per 100 km or 10 km per litre). This is the amount every replacement vehicle would have to contribute to the tax base to maintain the current income level the province collects.

EV may be getting a tax holiday but the cost of building and maintaining roadways will continue.

If you live in Metro Vancouver the total tax is about 0.60 a litre.
Saskatchewan did this. It’s about 150 bucks per year on fleet average and that’s what they charge an EV once per year at registration.
Old 03-22-2023, 04:47 PM   #261

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Saskatchewan did this. It’s about 150 bucks per year on fleet average and that’s what they charge an EV once per year at registration.
The numbers will not work out.

If memory serves correct there was an outcry when the tariff was announced.

The average number of km driven per year in Saskatchewan is 15,800. Assuming 10 km per liter an average car would use 1,580 liters. The fuel tax in Saskatchewan 0.15 per liter. The average car in Saskatchewan pays $237 in fuel tax.

One can assume the 150 is a tax incentive.

BC average is 13,100 km per year.
Old 03-22-2023, 05:12 PM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
The numbers will not work out.

If memory serves correct there was an outcry when the tariff was announced.

The average number of km driven per year in Saskatchewan is 15,800. Assuming 10 km per liter an average car would use 1,580 liters. The fuel tax in Saskatchewan 0.15 per liter. The average car in Saskatchewan pays $237 in fuel tax.

One can assume the 150 is a tax incentive.

BC average is 13,100 km per year.
Yah. I’m sure it will vary from province to province. I’m not sure what they used for criteria when they worked it out. One person on the Saskatchewan group mentioned that presently most in Saskatchewan are using EV’s as commuters so maybe they took that into consideration as they would drive less distance. Just a guess.

We have toured all over the country and without a doubt Saskatchewan has the worst infrastructure in Canada followed by Manitoba. It’s fine in a Tesla but I wouldn’t want to rely on the non tesla infrastructure towing a trailer across the province. Im sure it will get better.

Infrastructure takes time. We are patiently waiting for the Alcan and Stewart highway to be finished. We have a hit list of places in the Yukon we want to camp and hike at.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:03 PM   #263

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-elec...ing-overnight/

https://insideevs.com/news/655264/te...ollar-per-day/
Old 03-23-2023, 03:03 AM   #264

To me the ideal combination of a two car family. A Tesla or like vehicle for day to day short trips to the grocery store, work, restaurants. Charge this vehicle every 4th day overnight.

Then have a Toyota Prius hybrid to take longer trips. I rented a 2022 Prius last year and I really liked getting in low 50 mpg range. I put 3,000 miles on the car and survived. I averaged 52 mpg driving fast, 75mph to 80mph. It was not insulated from tire noise very well, this would be my only complaint. Hope the redesigned model is quieter.

One thing that I noticed was the aerodynamics of the Prius hybrid. It was not affected by the wind. Oh, the gas gauge went from 'full' to 'empty' really slow. I could fill up the small fuel tank in 5 minutes. Yes, 5 minutes. That is one big advantage in 2023 for the hybrid.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:41 AM   #265

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Glanton View Post
IMHO. I don’t think that EVs are the answer. I believe that hybrids are the answer. There are to many pieces of the puzzle that have to be put in place.

The Tesla picture has to be the funniest thing I've ever seen in a while!!!

Gotta love the ingenuity, a great way to eliminate the 'range anxiety'.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:33 AM   #266

Quote:
Good morning tuffr. The clothes dryer analogy is reasonably close. Most EV’s charge around 27 to 32 amps at 240 volts on the supplied mobile charger that comes with the car. Alternatively some will charge up to 48 amps at 240 volts by purchasing a separate wall charge unit and the odd one (ford lightning) can pull up to 80 amps using a special wall charger.

But it’s all selectable and many choose lower amperages as that’s what they have available at their house. Many just install a dryer plug or stove plug. For instance we only have a 100 amp service in our town home so we just have a 32 amp 240 volt charge unit inside and a 12 amp 240 unit outside. Good enough for us and either way it’s charged in the morning.

As far as losses go, that’s called vampire drain and it varies model to model and depends on what systems you leave on. We went to Mexico for 16 days. When we left the car was at 79 percent. When we came back it was 77 percent. We left our old leaf in the driveway for 6 weeks and it only dropped a percent.

But if you leave things like the sentry system with the cameras on it could use up to 8 percent a day. Or closer to 18 percent per day if you select “keep cabin temp” as it will continue to keep the cabin warm. I’m not sure why anyone would do that other than during a winter road emergency etc. We use it to keep the cabin warm while we are shopping at a mall or down town. Keeps the windows defrosted and the inside toasty warm. We also use it in summer to keep the car cool so when we come back to the car it’s not hot. Nice feature. It only uses a couple percent per hour.

Hope that helps.
If people want to do EV fine but leave the rest of us alone. It is just one of the options and the environmental line is false excuse. 85% of the electricity is produced by fossil fuel. If it make people happy to own an EV let them be happy that is a good thing. Just gets boring listening to the EV evangelists. They sound like vegan PITA members.
Closed Thread