Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2023, 04:18 PM   #281

If he future of EVs is something along the lines of the BMW XM I might be in. 30 mile range electric combined with a twin turbo V8 delivering up to 630 Horsepower. Now all it is going to take is move it from an SUV to a performance convertible and nibble away at the $169,000 base price.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2023, 04:22 PM   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
Then I guess it's a good thing we don't live in China, eh?
As far as I know the coal won't warm the planet in China more than everywhere else. Coal plants are closing in the us because it had gotten to the point that it was more expensive than other forms of energy, including natural gas and renewables. Apparently the economics are different in China.

I am always amused when someone demands scientific evidence to refute their unscientific belief. I have not seen any science that shows an ev powered by fossil fuel generated electricity results in fewer emissions. It may be that burning the fuel, creating electricity, transmitting it to the charger, charging the battery and then discharging it is more efficient than burning the fuel directly. But I doubt anyone has ever tested that hypothesis. Or ever will. The long range plan is to create an electric grid that is largely emission free. But the immediate contribution to listing climate change is likely very limited at best. People driving less would do a lot more an I suspect hybrids that use the batteries to increase efficincy in ICE vehicles has a much larger direct effect.
Old 03-23-2023, 04:24 PM   #283

I plan on keeping my Chevy Sonic with 1.4L Turbo and 6-speed manual since it gets great mpg and I plan on getting an E motorcycle soon to solar charge with my two E bikes.
Old 03-23-2023, 04:29 PM   #284

People need to ride bicycles and walk everywhere. Oh - don't f@rt either.

Oh wait - during the ice age ice covered Pennsylvania and most of Ohio. I am thinking when the earth is on the other side of the galaxy something happens that will cause another ice age. All we need to do is make it that long.

Oh - how much will nuclear explosions heat up the planet. That can't be good.
Old 03-23-2023, 05:02 PM   #285

I'm curious...
Do EVs or even hybrid have remotev"start":that pre-heats the car / seats in zero degree climates?
Or runs A/C to cool the car in those 100°-120° areas?
Or is comfort low on the eco priority list?
Old 03-23-2023, 05:09 PM   #286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I'm curious...
Do EVs or even hybrid have remotev"start":that pre-heats the car / seats in zero degree climates?
Howdy. Yes. It’s just a keystroke on the app. You can either schedule it or just hit pre-condition. It’s a nice feature, and it’s fast. From minus 15 to plus 15 celcius in about 5 minutes and all the windows are also defrosted. Steering wheel and seats warm. Handy as well if shopping in the mall and it’s been snowing. Or just leave the “keep feature on and it will keep the car warm.

In the summer it’s the same thing with the heat. Really nice. And it has dog mode that keeps the interiour cool while doggy is safe in the car. You can monitor the temp from the app and actually watch the dog via the interiour camera. Handy. Hot or cold. Great heat pump.

Ours also has summon. If the car is out in a rainy parking lot and you can see it you can just select come to me and it comes to where you are. Kinda freaky watching it manoeuvre around curbs and lanes and we have had a couple failures but works ok. We don’t use it in busy parking lots. It’s a beta feature. Kinda fun. More of a gadgety fun thing.

Here is the dog mode screen. Wife is mildly amused when I leave it on when I leave her in the car to get something in the store or whatever.

Old 03-23-2023, 05:15 PM   #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I'm curious...

“Pre-conditioning” was one of the best perks when I had my BMW hybrid. It worked great.
Old 03-23-2023, 05:36 PM   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
No ones making anyone buy and drive an EV.
Personally, I think the way government will force most into an EV is by making the price of gasoline and diesel unaffordable. How is $5 a gallon added tax on each gallon of fossil fuel going to affect what you drive? Or keep squeezing the fossil fuel industry with additional regulations so they are forced to raise the price to where it is just not affordable for the average user.
Old 03-23-2023, 06:23 PM   #289

Quote:
“Realistically I think we need to use oil and gas in the short term, because otherwise civilization will crumble,” Musk said on the sidelines of an energy conference in the southern city of Stavanger.

Asked if Norway should continue to drill for oil and gas, Musk said: “I think some additional exploration is warranted at this time.”
“One of the biggest challenges the world has ever faced is the transition to sustainable energy and to a sustainable economy,” he said. “That will take some decades to complete.”
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/29/elon...l-and-gas.html
Old 03-23-2023, 06:34 PM   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle5 View Post
Personally, I think the way government will force most into an EV is by making the price of gasoline and diesel unaffordable. How is $5 a gallon added tax on each gallon of fossil fuel going to affect what you drive? Or keep squeezing the fossil fuel industry with additional regulations so they are forced to raise the price to where it is just not affordable for the average user.
Where did you hear there would be a $5 gas tax?
Old 03-23-2023, 08:21 PM   #291

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Late to the party

I apologize that I'm late to the party...but...I did scan through the thread.

I came across this video: https://youtu.be/hB2tEhCEhQ4?t=2916 that features a conversation with Mike Sokol featured on the MotorTrend Channel. Mike is an electrical engineer by training and an expert and an advocate on recreational vehicles, their electrical systems, and more recently, electrified towing, RVing, camping, and glamping. You may be familiar with Mike as he writes articles for a variety of RV industry platforms. In this episode of The InEVitable, Mike regales hosts Jonny Lieberman and Ed Loh with the future of RVing, electrified towing, including electric trailers, eTrailers, and a bunch of new terms including boondocking, moochdocking, and something called electric TOADs.

The conversation also discusses the eStream, an Airstream with EV capabilities that are claimed to offset any decrease in tow vehicle range/mileage due to towing an Airstream. It also makes possible parking an eStream while disconnected from the tow vehicle, removing the challenge many find with backing into a parking spot.

For me, the possibility of, one day, having a toad that would use regenerative charging during the reposition drive that would provide a ~250 mile range upon arrival, would be worth consideration.

Take care,
Stu
Old 03-23-2023, 11:03 PM   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Where did you hear there would be a $5 gas tax?
Not saying that as a fact. Just saying, knowing how our politicians work, that would be one of the ways they would try to force us away from gas/diesel, by making it too expensive to use. In California taxes and fees already make up $1.18 of the price of every gallon of gas and I look for them to jack that up even higher..."as California goes, so goes the nation".
Old 03-23-2023, 11:20 PM   #293

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think that's nearly 100% speculation with little basis of facts. Plenty of stuff CA does that no one else follows.

Always remember to vote! We are still the government.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-24-2023, 04:45 AM   #294

We had a Chevy Volt. Best of both worlds - a serial hybrid. Unless we went out of town it used zero gas, and easily recharged overnight for very little money - couldn't even tell the difference in our electric bill. But when we needed to go on a trip it would get 40-50mpg. Like all early efforts, it could have used some refinement, but the idea was solid.

Too bad it got such bad political press. It was a very good idea.
Closed Thread