Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2023, 02:04 PM   #463

Wow, This Could be a Game Changer

I’m probably not the only one who has watched this YouTube. It’s pretty long, but very captivating for us engineer types. Wondering if this start-up will fail, or take off like Tesla. If an EVRV can be purchased at the right price, I’m all in. Pair this puppy with a F-150 Lightning, and you get close to 300 mi of range towing this well equipped TT. So, whadd ya thinks gonna happen?

All Electric Lightship L1
https://youtu.be/uLoS01vsVvQ
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2023, 02:16 PM   #464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
I’m probably not the only one who has watched this YouTube. It’s pretty long, but very captivating for us engineer types. Wondering if this start-up will fail, or take off like Tesla. If an EVRV can be purchased at the right price, I’m all in. Pair this puppy with a F-150 Lightning, and you get close to 300 mi of range towing this well equipped TT. So, whadd ya thinks gonna happen?

Interesting product for sure. Thanks for posting.
Old 03-31-2023, 07:53 AM   #465

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I think I will be ready for a hybrid soon. Not sure about a true EV. I might wait until EV's 5.0 come out. I need more guinea pigs to test things before I jump in.
It's called a lease. That's what we did for our EV.
Old 03-31-2023, 08:16 AM   #466

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post

Most everything "EV" is changing faster than this thread....

The RV industry is in need of some big shakeups in so many ways. From design, quality, sales, service, etc. We need new players with new ideas. Most of what we've seen in recent years is consolidationand reduced quality and slow poor service.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-31-2023, 07:37 PM   #467

If you want to get a handle on the future, read about the history of cars. The adoption of cars was hurried along to fix horse pollution. It was piling up.

Now the world is trying to figure out how to fix ICE pollution. It is a big problem, while you may not live where it is an immediate problem, in a city or downstream of a city; we're all living in times when the outdoors we enjoy is under stress.

When you read about the early beginnings cars you will see similarities to today's problem? Range was a big concern with cars, how do you keep going when you run out of fuel? Cars will never take the place of a horse, etc. etc.

Over 400 posts on a hot button subject and it is still going, must be a record.

mike
Old 03-31-2023, 08:25 PM   #468

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelish View Post
If you want to get a handle on the future, read about the history of cars. The adoption of cars was hurried along to fix horse pollution. It was piling up.

Now the world is trying to figure out how to fix ICE pollution. It is a big problem, while you may not live where it is an immediate problem, in a city or downstream of a city; we're all living in times when the outdoors we enjoy is under stress.

When you read about the early beginnings cars you will see similarities to today's problem? Range was a big concern with cars, how do you keep going when you run out of fuel? Cars will never take the place of a horse, etc. etc.

Over 400 posts on a hot button subject and it is still going, must be a record.

mike
Not even close to a record
Old 04-01-2023, 10:49 AM   #469

I Still don't understand why we have to put "all our eggs in one basket"..

Dennis Quaid just put out a video addressing the potential of large scale blackouts, like the one that took out the whole northeast some years ago.

When the first cars came to market, did anyone ban horses??? Did the government subsidize car manufacturers??

Extremists are already knocking out substations in various locations in the US. Wildfires are knocking out the grid in large areas, like in California. California and Texas along with other states last summer asked customers to minimize electric use due to to grid overloading... Go figure??? And the addition of thousands of electric cars to the loads on the grid wont matter??

A moderate approach to changes would not only give manufacturers time to refine their designs, Electric companies time to improve the grid, Save taxpayers a fortune by eliminating subsidies, and provide an environment for reasonable change. All this extreme stuff does is unnecessarily create avoidable temporary problems..

Safe travels and all the best
Old 04-01-2023, 11:27 AM   #470

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimerveer View Post
I Still don't understand why we have to put "all our eggs in one basket"..

Dennis Quaid just put out a video addressing the potential of large scale blackouts, like the one that took out the whole northeast some years ago.

When the first cars came to market, did anyone ban horses??? Did the government subsidize car manufacturers??

They started and continue to subsidize the oil industry. Federal government heavily subsidized the rail industry. Lets eliminate all oil & gas subsidies and tax breaks. You would quickly rethink the economics of this issue.

Extremists are already knocking out substations in various locations in the US.

Exactly why are they doing that? How much of an impact has that had on the grid system?

Wildfires are knocking out the grid in large areas, like in California.

Those fires have zero to do with EVs.

California and Texas along with other states last summer asked customers to minimize electric use due to to grid overloading... Go figure???

Try researching what are the major users of electric power in those states, It is not EVs, try cooling.

And the addition of thousands of electric cars to the loads on the grid wont matter??

In Texas EVs use about 0.5% of the power, in California which has the largest number of EVs in the US the number is about 1.0%.

A moderate approach to changes would not only give manufacturers time to refine their designs, Electric companies time to improve the grid, Save taxpayers a fortune by eliminating subsidies, and provide an environment for reasonable change. All this extreme stuff does is unnecessarily create avoidable temporary problems..

Perhaps the federal and state governments should eliminate all subsidies, tax breaks and tax credits and just all of the cards fall where they may. I don't think anybody would really like that! Businesses as we know could not operate. Keep in mind the idea of the Federal government helping the private sector get started goes back to the early days of the US. That's how our ports and canal systems got built. Just as the development of railroads, highways, airports, dam and water systems, fresh and waste water get funded.

There is also the point that rate of technology advancements increases every year. The problem we encounter is that social acceptance of that technology is much slower.

A couple of points: Scientific knowledge is growing at a rate of 5.62% with a doubling every 12.6 years. 90% of all digital data has been captured in the last two years.

Society as a whole has a hard time dealing this growth compared to even 50 years ago. The times are changing ever faster and you can not put the genie back in the bottle.

Safe travels and all the best

On wards....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-01-2023, 11:31 AM   #471

The genie is the ice
Old 04-01-2023, 11:51 AM   #472

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
Here's the reality: If BEVs were the best means of transportation, and costs were no object, and you believe the future is BEVs, why would you still have an extensive fleet of gasoline and diesel powered vehicles with NO BEVs as part of it?
Now go look at the fleet of vehicles the Secret Service operates.

Now tell me again how a battery powered vehicles is a best use vehicle.
It's "horses for courses" thing. Not every application is good fit for BEV, some are not great with ICE.

Why are so many folks absolutists, thinking that only 1 energy source can be utilized for every application?
Old 04-01-2023, 11:53 AM   #473

Oil - bad is not a healthy response.
Old 04-01-2023, 12:00 PM   #474

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
It's "horses for courses" thing. Not every application is good fit for BEV, some are not great with ICE.

Why are so many folks absolutists, thinking that only 1 energy source can be utilized for every application?
Yes, but outside of metropolitan areas i believe ICE is the fit#1, horses #2, BEV maybe 3...5, depending if trains, mules or cows are available.
Old 04-01-2023, 12:41 PM   #475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
Yes, but outside of metropolitan areas i believe ICE is the fit#1, horses #2, BEV maybe 3...5, depending if trains, mules or cows are available.
So we change the course, try a different horse.

That's the whole point, really. I live in a 3rd tier city and the most I drive in a day is probably 75 miles or so unless I have a trip of some kind. Current BEV technology can address both situations, destination-dependent.

For my Class C? No. Not yet and probably not in my lifetime, but I'd good with burning refined dinosaurs for that use.

Now you darn kids get off my lawn!
Old 04-01-2023, 12:42 PM   #476

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
i live in a very small town in central B.C. our main mode of transportation is our Tesla.i've driven my Ram once in the last 2 weeks and that was to make a landfill run.our roads are still ice/snow and the temps are below zero.neighbors across from us have the same Tesla as us and it's their daily commuter.sorry,but you are woefully misinformed.the writing is on the wall,you just can't read it.
Closed Thread