Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2021, 12:12 PM   #1

Which gasser is best for 12,000 pound load?

Our 2005 piece of junk GMC 3/4 ton Duramax Diesel left us high and dry four different times in four different states - always in the middle of nowhere where you'd sooner see Bigfoot than find a real diesel mechanic.

The last wrecker driver who rescued us four times in one week felt so sorry for us that he bought our POS. We drove home in a U-Haul and had our hooch hauled home by a contractor. I now have a nervous tic that would make Inspector Dreyfus look normal.

So, we are NEVER going to buy another diesel. Can you wonderful folks out there who know so much more about trucks than we do please chime in on IF there is a gasser that can easily haul our Northwood Desert Fox up and down the highest summits in N. California and Southern Oregon? (We go back and forth to Oregon from AZ every year.)

When it's loaded with water and goods (no toys), it's about 10K - we'd like to be sure it's capable of pulling that plus a little more.

We have about $35K to spend so it will have to be used which probably complicates things further. (We'd have a lot more to spend if we hadn't paid the equivalent of buying our truck twice thanks to the "didn't do any good" repairs.)

We are grateful for any help and advice. Thank you!
Corgi50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2021, 12:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi50 View Post
Our 2005 piece of junk GMC 3/4 ton Duramax Diesel left us high and dry four different times in four different states - always in the middle of nowhere where you'd sooner see Bigfoot than find a real diesel mechanic.

The last wrecker driver who rescued us four times in one week felt so sorry for us that he bought our POS. We drove home in a U-Haul and had our hooch hauled home by a contractor. I now have a nervous tic that would make Inspector Dreyfus look normal.

So, we are NEVER going to buy another diesel. Can you wonderful folks out there who know so much more about trucks than we do please chime in on IF there is a gasser that can easily haul our Northwood Desert Fox up and down the highest summits in N. California and Southern Oregon? (We go back and forth to Oregon from AZ every year.)

When it's loaded with water and goods (no toys), it's about 10K - we'd like to be sure it's capable of pulling that plus a little more.

We have about $35K to spend so it will have to be used which probably complicates things further. (We'd have a lot more to spend if we hadn't paid the equivalent of buying our truck twice thanks to the "didn't do any good" repairs.)

For $35K, you are probably looking at the Ford 6.2, GM 6.0 or Ram 6.4 gas engines. Stability wise, they should handle the trailer just as well as their diesel counterparts. But you’ll be slower uphill and cautious with brake application downhill. I personally would go with an F350 6.2 with 4.30 rear. It’s proven and mated to a good tranny. Some members here have complained about Ram gasser and tranny compatibility issues.

If you go regular cab or quad cab 2wd work truck trim, you may find a newer one with 7.3 or 6.6 if you are lucky.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:50 PM   #3

It will not be easy to find a F-350 6.2 but I agree with Nickey. A F-350 6.2 4:30 gears if you can find one.

As you may or may not know there is a higher than normal demand for trucks. So you see prices that might be surprise.

Ford had the 6.2 back in 2011. If you find a F-250 6.2 with 4:30 gears I would jump on it. A F-350 of course would be better.

If you don't mind Ram had a 6.4 litre Hemi in 2013 model year I think.

GM has had their 6.0 litre engine a long time. But I know I would not go older than 2011 when GM improved the frame a lot.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 01:03 PM   #4

My local dealer has two new regular cab F250 XL 2wd long bed. One is 6.2 6 speed for a bit over $35000 and one 7.3 10 speed for a bit shy of $40k. But regular cab won’t work well for RV folks. Don’t know the gear ratio but I guess it’s 3.55. It’s made for landscaping/handyman business.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 01:10 PM   #5

After owning a 2018 Ram 6.4, 4.10 gears I'd advise not to get one. I towed between 92-9600 lbs in a 5er and TT respectively.
The issue is the stupid 6 sp gear spacing. Power wise it's as good as the 6.2 Ford or 6.0 GM. The trans holds it back though.
I'd suggest the Ford or GM period.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 01:29 PM   #6

GM 6.0 gasser is pretty bulletproof. You won't win a race or make MPG records, but it won,t be in the shop very often. I haul 13000lbs with mine and the truck is 7500 lbs+ with all the stuff in it. If you can find one with 4:10 gears it'd be great. New 2020+ with 6.6 GAS engine will be better, but pretty sure it'll be much North of 35k$.

For GM, 2011- and reliability is pretty much all the same from there. Make it a 3500 series.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 02:10 PM   #7

X3 on the F350 6.2

Dave
Old 04-09-2021, 02:17 PM   #8

The Ram 2500 would work well but you need to find a 2019 or newer. I have a 2019 and the 8 speed with the 6.4 is a great combo. You could go with the 2500 or the 3500 if you can find one.
ardvark16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:56 PM   #9

With a budget of 35k best to look at 2011(ish) and a bit newer GM and Ford gas trucks. In 2011 all trucks were better than previous years. GM has a new Frame and redesigned truck. Ford has a slew of new good engines including the 6.2.

From 2011 every few years there were impovements. Like 2013 Ram introduced a 6.4 Hemi. In 2017 Ford redesigned their 250/350 and got a bit more power from the 6.2 gas engine.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:18 PM   #10

Just went through this, and though I bought new, I narrowed my search to a 2017 or newer F350. This has the new body style, better tow functions and modern electronics. I did find a low milage 2017 F350 for $40 but it was an XLT and I wanted the lariat for automatic climate control.
blueridgedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:57 AM   #11

Such great help - thank you!

To everyone who posted - thank you for this invaluable information on tow vehicles.

We have been so scattered - and also relying too much on "fake news" on the internet - so, instead of using a scatter shot approach - we are now armed with specifics and our ducks are in a row.

Such a great resource - thank you again.
Corgi50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:21 PM   #12

So... if'n you'd be in the market for a '12 F250 CCSB 4x4 XL FX4 6.2L gasser with 4.30 gears and ~120k miles, and are close-ish to WA state, I might know a guy...

FWIW, we got the above truck just under 3 years ago, with ~102k on it. Changed the plugs (no records of when they'd been done), and other than that... routine stuff like fluid changes at the prescribed intervals. It's a good truck. For what what we originally had in mind when we got it (pulling a ~30' TT) it's a *great* truck. Might not do 70 mph up the steeper mountain passes, but I'm not looking to set a speed record up hill either. Compared to previous 1/2 ton pickups with aftermarket trailer brakes, the 6-speed tranny with integrated brake controller and the option to either 'lock out' (upper) gears or just shift manually... is pretty awesome. Maybe not as awesome as some of the newer 8 or 10 speed transmissions, but definitely a quantum leap over what I had before. Also not 'true' engine braking like a diesel, but still pretty effective at slowing our TT on the down hill side of mountain slopes.

Why is the truck suddenly 'available', you ask? Well, since we got it, we've been exploring the idea of 'something else' - whether it's a short 5th wheel like an Artic Fox 27-5L, or a slide-in truck camper. While I'm pretty sure the F250 would handle things just fine, the short bed (6-3/4') and 10k GVWR combine to limit our options.

We just happened to hit a confluence of various things paid down enough that there is some extra budge in the budget, and stumbled across pretty much *exactly* what you're looking for: an '18 F350 XL extended cab, long box, 6.2L gasser w/ 4.30 rear end, plow/camper package, factory 5th wheel & gooseneck packages... and 29k miles... for $35k (~$6k under book). And no, you can't have it!

Supposed to take delivery tomorrow, and then it'll be time to get the F250 all gussied up to go on the sale block. In theory, between going from a crew cab to an extended cab, and a short box to a long box, the truck is very close to the same length and weight... which means that instead of having ~2600 lbs of payload, we should have ~4000 lbs of payload with the 11.5k GVWR - which combined with the long bed, opens up all *sorts* of options as far as 5th wheel, truck camper, whatever.

Hopefully you can find one as well.

Good luck!
Old 04-12-2021, 11:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi50 View Post

Man I wish I was ready to sell my Ram2500! (probably won't sell for a year or two). It has the 6.4L with CAI, Flowmaster Exhaust, & been tuned. I have added air bags & had 4.56 gears installed. My 5th wheel weighs 13,500 loaded & this trucks pulls it great. I haven't been out in the Rockies with it, but it has done some smaller mountains in WV just fine.
If you are looking at a 4th gen Ram's you are going to want the lowest gears you can find. The new 5th gen with the 8 speed tranny's pull well with the 3.73's or 4.10's.
I understand your frustration with your diesel but not all are bad. I think all the big 3 have a great pulling diesel right now.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:56 AM   #14

Pm sent!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by memilanuk View Post
so... If'n you'd be in the market for a '12 f250 ccsb 4x4 xl fx4 6.2l gasser with 4.30 gears and ~120k miles, and are close-ish to wa state, i might know a guy...

Fwiw, we got the above truck just under 3 years ago, with ~102k on it. Changed the plugs (no records of when they'd been done), and other than that... Routine stuff like fluid changes at the prescribed intervals. It's a good truck. For what what we originally had in mind when we got it (pulling a ~30' tt) it's a *great* truck. Might not do 70 mph up the steeper mountain passes, but i'm not looking to set a speed record up hill either. Compared to previous 1/2 ton pickups with aftermarket trailer brakes, the 6-speed tranny with integrated brake controller and the option to either 'lock out' (upper) gears or just shift manually... Is pretty awesome. Maybe not as awesome as some of the newer 8 or 10 speed transmissions, but definitely a quantum leap over what i had before. Also not 'true' engine braking like a diesel, but still pretty effective at slowing our tt on the down hill side of mountain slopes.

Why is the truck suddenly 'available', you ask? Well, since we got it, we've been exploring the idea of 'something else' - whether it's a short 5th wheel like an artic fox 27-5l, or a slide-in truck camper. While i'm pretty sure the f250 would handle things just fine, the short bed (6-3/4') and 10k gvwr combine to limit our options.

We just happened to hit a confluence of various things paid down enough that there is some extra budge in the budget, and stumbled across pretty much *exactly* what you're looking for: An '18 f350 xl extended cab, long box, 6.2l gasser w/ 4.30 rear end, plow/camper package, factory 5th wheel & gooseneck packages... And 29k miles... For $35k (~$6k under book). And no, you can't have it! :d

supposed to take delivery tomorrow, and then it'll be time to get the f250 all gussied up to go on the sale block. In theory, between going from a crew cab to an extended cab, and a short box to a long box, the truck is very close to the same length and weight... Which means that instead of having ~2600 lbs of payload, we should have ~4000 lbs of payload with the 11.5k gvwr - which combined with the long bed, opens up all *sorts* of options as far as 5th wheel, truck camper, whatever.

Hopefully you can find one as well.

Good luck!
wheat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas