Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2018, 09:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parks View Post
I'd probably go 1 ton. Not because you will die if you tow with a 2500 but because there may be a chance you could go to a larger 5th in the future and you may need the extra payload capacities if you want to go by the book.
If there is a chance of getting bigger look at DRW.

We started with F350SRW then the trailer got bigger a year later. We could fit into a F450 but we'll probably move into a F550 and have room to spare.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2018, 06:05 AM   #16

Have a 17 F250 6.7L and towing a 18 344MKS Cougar. 11K ship weight and 2400 on pin. Pulls/Stops like a champ. Barely know its back there. And yes, over on the truck by 1K.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:02 AM   #17

Personally, I'd go with the one ton diesel SRW. Then your biggest worry is when to stop to warm up your coffee and grab a few Oreo Cookies!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:25 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Folks, please discuss the topic in a courteous manner and quit the personal attacks.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:47 AM   #19

I camp with 2 people that have the same set up as the op is looking at. 3/4 ton cc 4x4 short bed diesel and 36' cougar 5vers. Neither one has had any trouble with their set up, except several trailer tires blowing out but that's a whole nother story, and they have towed from the Midwest to the southeast.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmech View Post
I camp with 2 people that have the same set up as the op is looking at. 3/4 ton cc 4x4 short bed diesel and 36' cougar 5vers. Neither one has had any trouble with their set up, except several trailer tires blowing out but that's a whole nother story, and they have towed from the Midwest to the southeast.
That'll probably work where they travel now, however, if they decide to travel through the West/Northwest/Canadian Rockies/Alaska, the trip may be a "bit less comfortable". I lean heavily toward a TV that is "more than adequate to do the job that I'm demanding of it"!!! Jus' me though...

Old 01-21-2018, 05:27 PM   #21

How much safety margin does the OP desire?

IMO, the wrong question is will it work.

The correct parameter is always to address existing load and any potential loading and always add a safety margin into the calculations. If one is not using that paradigm it is an exercise in futility.

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5K
Gray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Towing a trailer that has 2300 lbs of pin weight plus another 175 lbs or so of 5ver hitch with a truck that has maybe 2200 lbs of payload is OVERLOADED.....you can't manipulate the number...even though you are trying to. In my opinion, it's not only bad advice to say that it can, it's irresponsible on your part. Why would we want anyone to try and use a tow vehicle that isn't big enough for the job at hand?
No where have I said its ok to tow with a vehicle that isn't big enough....nor have I manipulated or stated such numbers .
However I do know how much load a vehicle can carry safely/legally and the 250/2500 trucks the OP is looking at will work fine.

Sorry OP for hijacking your thread. If you want to know how much load your truck in question can carry safely/legally check with your area state troop command. They can give you those facts.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:06 PM   #23

Really love the weight police lol. My rig is fine but thanks for giving your opinion. It matters.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMX View Post
Really love the weight police lol. My rig is fine but thanks for giving your opinion. It matters.

1000 over with a F-250? Maybe that's OK. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. I'm not about to tell a guy who doesn't know how to figure that out that it is.

Either way, if you're in this situation and upgrading the TV anyway go ahead and get the 350.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:08 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Buying the right truck is like playing the lottery. You never know when you are going to win or not. However buying more truck than absolutely necessary will likely give you better odds if something happens.

Much like riding a motorcycle I plan on when it is going to happen not if. Nothing happens I am golden, something happens the odds are stacked slightly in my favor. What are the odds? We'll will never be able to go back and have a redo to see if a more favorable outcome will occur.

While I respect some who claim they have gone a million miles without incident with their trusty overloaded steed I have attended enough accidents to know if you drive long enough you will eventually encounter a situation.

I carry valuable cargo. I plan to live long to get as much as possible from the government through my pension.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Buying the right truck is like playing the lottery. You never know when you are going to win or not. However buying more truck than absolutely necessary will likely give you better odds if something happens.

Much like riding a motorcycle I plan on when it is going to happen not if. Nothing happens I am golden, something happens the odds are stacked slightly in my favor. What are the odds? We'll will never be able to go back and have a redo to see if a more favorable outcome will occur.

While I respect some who claim they have gone a million miles without incident with their trusty overloaded steed I have attended enough accidents to know if you drive long enough you will eventually encounter a situation.

I carry valuable cargo. I plan to live long to get as much as possible from the government through my pension.
Precisely

Old 01-23-2018, 10:36 AM   #27

Smile Thank you all for your insights

After reading all of your good posts, it seems that I can get by with a 3/4 ton truck, however I agree with wundertaker's comment about taking the next step up to a 1 ton just for safety concerns and someday I might decide to get an upgrade to a larger 5er so I'm now looking at a 1 ton. Thank you so much for all the input/comments, hope to see you all in my future trips!
jkmcbride54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:49 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmcbride54 View Post
After reading all of your good posts, it seems that I can get by with a 3/4 ton truck, however I agree with wundertaker's comment about taking the next step up to a 1 ton just for safety concerns and someday I might decide to get an upgrade to a larger 5er so I'm now looking at a 1 ton. Thank you so much for all the input/comments, hope to see you all in my future trips!
I went "one up" when I went with my Diesel...AND SOOOOO GLAAAAD I DID!!! For me it makes the trip so much more enjoyable!

JUST THINK OF THIS.... Have you "ever" seen a Thread on IRV2 about Someone Complaining that they "HAVE TOO MUCH POWER"???
Me neither....