RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2020, 10:30 AM   #1

Who travels with a full crew cab?

Anyone here take road trips with a full cab and one in the front jump seat? How does that work out over long distances?
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2020, 10:41 AM   #2

I have had 5 people in my crew cab with front bucket seats twice. Only for 20 miles. Both times people were surprised by how comfortable they were. Also how quiet ttd truck was. (2017 F-250 6.2 gas) There was a lot of back seat room with their own A/C vent so that helps the back seat people.

Having 6 people I think would be ok. The cabs are a lot bigger and wider so 3 in front and 3 in back I think would be fine. You might have people fight for the back seats as the back seats might be better.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:52 AM   #3

Not many I would say.
Now in high school with a single cab we had three occupants up front no problem. But now....heck no.
For a long road trip? No way would I have three up front, unless she was awfully darn good looking.
bneukam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:54 PM   #4

Weve had to run across pennsylvania 3 deep in our regular cab dodge flatbeds. What a miserable ride. We always stuck the new guy in the middle.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:00 PM   #5

Front jump seat.....
No place to put feet, no leg room, no arm rests, not comfortable seat------put the smallest child there and expect some fidgeting
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:06 PM   #6

Even with (the 50s/60s) front bench seats (unless y'all are high-school kids) that's why station-wagons were marketed, followed by minivans.

I need my space.
Wrascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
Weve had to run across pennsylvania 3 deep in our regular cab dodge flatbeds. What a miserable ride. We always stuck the new guy in the middle.
If we were staying in town I'd take the door seat, if we were going to the ranch I'd take the middle seat.... Door seat gets to get out and open and close all the gates....
Old 10-24-2020, 09:25 AM   #8

I always get the bucket seats but have had 3 in the back a cpl. times for a total of 5..my '19 ram is comfy and quiet..flat floor in the back and the seat bottoms pull forward a little so as to feel a little like recliners..have gotten quite a few compliments on the ride even with tires aired up a little extra for towing
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Front jump seat.....
No place to put feet, no leg room, no arm rests, not comfortable seat------put the smallest child there and expect some fidgeting
My wife sat there for a couple hours with our daughter in the door seat, once. That was over a year ago and she's still trying to fix whatever happened to her back / sciatic nerve caused by that experience.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 06:32 PM   #10

Will I have a Dodge Mega Cab which is far more roomier than a crew cab. I have carried six people in my truck with no complaints on being crowded. In fact the rear seats recline for the rear seat passenger which allows for a more comfortable ride for them. The rear cab doors open at a true 90 deg's angle to make it easier to get in and out of the cab for them.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Not many I would say.
Now in high school with a single cab we had three occupants up front no problem. But now....heck no.
For a long road trip? No way would I have three up front, unless she was awfully darn good looking.
In high school I had 12 in my '70 Mustang fastback, including the sister to a former Miss Georgia (she got the "shifter position") going to lunch one day. Does that count?

I still own that car.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:04 PM   #12

When we carried out TC on a reg. cab truck it was the dog in the middle seat position from VA to FL and back as well as VA to MO and back. When our first child was born we put the wife in the middle, car seat on the passenger side, dog on the floor for several trips.
Now we have the 3 kids in the back of the crew cab. Done that for thousands of miles.

Going to the lake (about 1 hour 15 minutes each way) we often have 7 in the Suburban. Once we had 9 so that put my oldest son in the front middle position.
When I was a kid our family of 5 rode in Dad's 1978 reg. cab Chevy. Me and my brother fought over who got to ride in the back. It was Dad, Mom, and 1 brother on the bench seat. My sister sat on Mom's lap. None of us wore seat belts.
6 in a crew cab? You'll be fine.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:56 AM   #13

We are full almost every trip. On our trip to Yellowstone 2 years ago I had my college age son in the front seat my wife and daughter and 2 grand kids in the back seat. 2 grand kids age 10 and 12 in one seat belt I know however it was either that or bringing another car all while towing the toy hauler on a two week trip. the only complaint I ever got was when someone device battery got low and they had to find a place to plug in. My whole family always wants to know when the next trip is. My wife finally booked us a trip just for us to Key West in Feb. Lots of frowning faces about that.
rblanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblanch View Post
We are full almost every trip. On our trip to Yellowstone 2 years ago I had my college age son in the front seat my wife and daughter and 2 grand kids in the back seat. 2 grand kids age 10 and 12 in one seat belt I know however it was either that or bringing another car all while towing the toy hauler on a two week trip. the only complaint I ever got was when someone device battery got low and they had to find a place to plug in. My whole family always wants to know when the next trip is. My wife finally booked us a trip just for us to Key West in Feb. Lots of frowning faces about that.
Geez dont get pulled over like that.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel