Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2018, 10:45 AM   #15

Again, thanks for sharing. A picture is worth 1,000 words.

And shows that a shade tree mechanic really can not do this kind of work.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2018, 04:21 PM   #16

Adding ethanol to gasoline changes the hydrocarbon into a polar solvent. So unless you are using recreational non-ethanol fuel a water separator would be worthless since the fuel will now mix with water. This is one of the reasons they do not use ethanol blended fuel at marine fueling stations.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
Adding ethanol to gasoline changes the hydrocarbon into a polar solvent. So unless you are using recreational non-ethanol fuel a water separator would be worthless since the fuel will now mix with water. This is one of the reasons they do not use ethanol blended fuel at marine fueling stations.
Incorrect. Water separating fuel filters will remove water in the fuel. Water in any form that will affect the operation of the engine. Water separating fuel filters are standard OEM equipment on all gas inboard and IO engines sold for many years. Not all marine fuel stations are clear gas and most trailer size boat owners use standard gas stations.

Alcohol has a free radical that the water molecule will attach to. In this small quantity it will pass through the fuel system and the combustion process without hurting the engine.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:03 PM   #18

BTW I have made a video of a water separating fuel filter removing water suspended in fuel.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:18 AM   #19

E10 will absorb water at about .5% of total volume at 70 degrees. Much higher at warmer temps. Also the ethanol actually attracts the water as well. So when you see water being separated or “filtered” the gasoline that is passing is saturated with over 3 teaspoons per gallon. This rate is more than enough to wreak havoc with your engine as I am sure you are well aware. I fished the tournament circuit for years and both witnessed and experienced this firsthand. I have spent thousands repairing damage from water in fuel using the best separators/filters on the market.

I run a separator on the boat but only use pure gas in it as well as all my small engines.

Here is a link showing just a fraction of the damage

http://www.boattest.com/view-news/33...e-from-ethanol
Old 10-08-2018, 09:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
E10 will absorb water at about .5% of total volume at 70 degrees. Much higher at warmer temps. Also the ethanol actually attracts the water as well. So when you see water being separated or “filtered” the gasoline that is passing is saturated with over 3 teaspoons per gallon. This rate is more than enough to wreak havoc with your engine as I am sure you are well aware. I fished the tournament circuit for years and both witnessed and experienced this firsthand. I have spent thousands repairing damage from water in fuel using the best separators/filters on the market.

I run a separator on the boat but only use pure gas in it as well as all my small engines.

Here is a link showing just a fraction of the damage

How to Protect Your Engine from Ethanol
The article you site specifically recommends a water separating fuel filter.

Once water reaches the phase separation stage the filter easily deals with it. Engine damage happens when WSFF become over full and pass the water directly to the fuel system. With normal servicing the WSFF will separate 30oz of pure water in 90gal of fuel with no damage to the engine.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:36 PM   #21

I understand everyone has an opinion :-)

Well I guess I also have mine :-)

I have worked directly with the actual factory technicians from Yamaha and replaced three powerheads. We have seen firsthand the effects of water going right through a separator and into the engine, with a brand new 4 micron separator that is not even close to full. It is an unfortunate side effect of ethanol. I understand you have performed some tests at home, but these people deal with it nationwide. And as a kudos to Yamaha, they were exceptionally helpful with all of my troubles.

I would guess this isn’t a real problem with cars because they don’t spend much time near the water ��
Old 10-09-2018, 08:49 PM   #22

I have been driving since 16, if I do the math that was 46 years ago. I have never had an issue of water in the gasoline. In my boat I would use a bottle of dry gas once in a while. But even in the boats I owned for 30 years never a real issue with water....wait, all my boats were carbonated that is probably why no problem with water in the gas...is it true that a carbonated engine would not be very sensitive to a little water in the gasoline?
Old 10-13-2018, 04:03 AM   #23

I mean Carburated. Phone changed carburated ro carbonated...ugh
Old 10-13-2018, 04:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I mean Carburated. Phone changed carburated ro carbonated...ugh
Boat engines are carbonated, they make bubbles when running, no ? [emoji3]
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas, water