Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #1

Will be shopping for a bigger truck

Hi all

I am planning on getting a new (used) TV in the next few months to replaced my Nissan Titan, a 2006. I need a 3/4 ton class truck.

We have a 27’ 2008 Wilderness travel trailer with one slide out. It is about 8000lbs dry and loaded up nearly 10000lbs.

I have made one trip so far with the Titan and the trailer of about 1200 miles round trip, and the Titan is just plainly not enough truck. I got roughly 8mpg. Spent a lot of time holding it in 3rd gear.

We plan on traveling a fair amount, some shorter trips, some longer.

A diesel appeals to us a lot for it’s torque and better fuel economy when pulling. At least that is what I have been told in the past. Is that correct?

Are minds are not set hard on brand yet, although my wife and I like the Dodge Cummins a lot.

Must be a crew cab. We will be taking my 91 year old mom on most of our trips. I am ambivalent about bed length at this point. I think either a short bed or a long bed will fit in my driveway (23’). Although I am certain a short bed will.

Any guesses as to what we could expect about MPGs with a Dodge diesel, or Ford, or Chevy?

Ken
Kenp51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
They are all pretty similar. I don't necessarily think the diesel is much cheaper when you figure in fuel filters and oil changes. Probably not enough fuel savings to pay for those but it would be close. I did roughly the same upgrade for the same reasons but went with a gasser because I do a lot of short trips and it is cheaper to change oil on a gas rig more often. If you don't make a lot of short trips the diesel makes sense. Either will serve you well. You might think about a 3500 since they are really the same truck in any way you might notice day to day. Just hauls a little more when it comes time to upgrade.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:17 PM   #3

I have a Dodge 3500 DRW diesel crew 4wd. You probably do not need the DRW.

Dodge is my preference, but you would probably be happy with the Ford or GM version.

You will be surprised and the difference is power, when pulling your trailer.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:23 PM   #4

This time of year you might consider looking new vs used. Anyone that has 2016 models still in stock should be heavily discounted.

Last year I was looking at 2-3 year old trucks with 40-50,000 miles on them. I got a new one for less then 5% higher then a used one. Timing and spending a lot of time looking were the key.

As for brand, I agree with the others. I prefer Chevy, but that is me.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:29 PM   #5

I would recommend a 1 ton single rear wheel truck. It has the same deminsions as the 3/4 ton truck but will give you approx. 1,500lb more carrying capacity.

This is a guess that towing 10,000lbs a diesel truck will get between 12 and 14 mpg. I lean toward a Ford diesel but that is just my preference. The Chevy or Ram will also be great trucks.

Check the torque and HP ratings. You will like towing with the power that the new diesel trucks have. A diesel engine has approx. double the torque as a gasoline engine.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:00 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenp51 View Post
I am planning on getting a new (used) TV in the next few months to replaced my Nissan Titan, a 2006. I need a 3/4 ton class truck.
While you're at it, consider paying a tiny bit more and get a 3500 with single rear wheels SRW. Exactly the same size and handling as the 3/4 ton, but with about 1,500 pounds more payload capacity. You won't need more payload capacity as long as you hang onto your bumper-pull TT, but if you later decde to move up to a fifth-wheel trailer you'll be glad you have that extra payload capacity.

Quote:
We have a 27’ 2008 Wilderness travel trailer with one slide out. It is about 8000lbs dry and loaded up nearly 10000lbs.

I have made one trip so far with the Titan and the trailer of about 1200 miles round trip, and the Titan is just plainly not enough truck. I got roughly 8mpg. Spent a lot of time holding it in 3rd gear.

A diesel appeals to us a lot for it’s torque and better fuel economy when pulling. At least that is what I have been told in the past. Is that correct?

Are minds are not set hard on brand yet, although my wife and I like the Dodge Cummins a lot.

Must be a crew cab. ... I think either a short bed or a long bed will fit in my driveway (23’). Although I am certain a short bed will.
My last diesel tow vehicle was a CrewCab with 8' bed. It was 22' long tip to tail.

Bed length doesn't matter much when towing a bumper-pull TT. But if you graduate up to a 5er, you'll want the 8' bed.

Quote:
Any guesses as to what we could expect about MPGs with a Dodge diesel, or Ford, or Chevy?
10 to 12 MPG, assuming relatively level terrain and speed near the trailer tire limit of 65 MPH. But cruise faster or climb mountains, and MPG goes in the gutter. For about 100,000 towing miles on an F-250 diesel CrewCab 4x2 with a 9,000-pound 5er, I usually got around 10 to 11 MPG towing between The Rockies on the west and the Appalachians on the east, with cruise control set on 62 MPH. 62 MPH because that seemed to be the "sweet spot" for MPG. Slower didn't improve MPG, but faster reduced MPG.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196-S, and my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:34 PM   #7
PRT

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Hi all

Must be a crew cab. We will be taking my 91 year old mom on most of our trips. I am ambivalent about bed length at this point. I think either a short bed or a long bed will fit in my driveway (23’). Although I am certain a short bed will.

Ken
I would look for a 3500 SRW if your going for a diesel for more payload. Our truck in signature gets around 10-11 mpg in the mountains, 12-14 in the flats traveling 62 to 65 mph. Love the Cummins, on 4th one. Still also have my 2006 Dodge Cummins that I use in my construction business. We picked up our 2015 for a great price, was a low mileage 1 year lease return.
PRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:31 PM   #8

I am a Dodge guy but, I bet your 91 year old mom would really prefer the Chevy. I have to carry around a stool for my grandmother who is 87 and even then it's a chore for her to get into it and out. The Chev/GM trucks sit significantly lower than the Ford or Ram and are just as good a tow vehicle as far as I am concerned unless you have a brand loyalty.

Just a thought.
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:40 PM   #9

Thanks guys
I will expand my shopping to also include a 1 ton class truck.
On our only trip so far I found 55 was were my truck was comfortable at. Above that and I would have to very closely monitor engine temp. Grades also took close monitoring. Down shift to third and burn the gas, but then temps would be just fine on any grade. Sure not my type of driving. Other than being overmatched by the trailer, I loved the driving.
Will get real with my truck shopping next month.
Next trip will be with enough truck.
Planning a short haul trip to Vandenberg to watch a rocket launch. Mom loves to watch them on TV., so this will be a sort of bucket list thing for her.
Also starting early planning for a trip to Kansas.
At 91 mom is actually a pretty good Traveler.

Ken
Old 12-19-2017, 06:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfsofwar View Post
I am a Dodge guy but, I bet your 91 year old mom would really prefer the Chevy. I have to carry around a stool for my grandmother who is 87 and even then it's a chore for her to get into it and out. The Chev/GM trucks sit significantly lower than the Ford or Ram and are just as good a tow vehicle as far as I am concerned unless you have a brand loyalty.

Just a thought.
Ok Thanks. I did not know Chevys sat lower. That would sure help, not only my mom, also my wife. My wife had a stroke in '07 and is disabled because of that. Well actually I am disabled also, So I would also benefit. Thanks for that info.
I carry around a folding stool for mom also. We picked the truck last year because mom could get into it on her own. We were on the lot and ended up looking around for her. She had climbed in on her own. We were shocked. But in the last 18 months or so she now needs help. And me to handle her portable o2 concentrator.
Boy she is ready to go on another trip.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:31 PM   #11

I'm partial to Detroit motors myself. 😀
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:20 AM   #12

I would drive all the three brands, and pick what you like. One brand has better this, one has better that...etc. But if you look at all the actual independent tests, the difference between them is very small.

I have a brand "x" '16 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel. Like what has been said, my mistake was not going to the 1 ton SRW version. For about $1K more (if that), I could have the extra weight capacity, with the same truck fuel mpg, and size as my 3/4 ton.

As far as mpg, I have pulled my 10K pound trailer just about 18K miles the last year and a half. I am usually averaging just about 12-13 mpg. I get 22 mpg without the trailer on the highway.

No matter what you pick, the one no brainer that you should make sure is on the truck, is the factory integrated brake controller. Most brands say it has to come from the factory with it, and it puts any aftermarket one to shame due to it being integrated with the truck computer.

Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:34 AM   #13

I have an '06 F250 Diesel that is still going strong with 155K miles. If you maintain them they last forever.

11mpg when towing with a few 6% grades thrown in.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:38 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
No matter what you pick, the one no brainer that you should make sure is on the truck, is the factory integrated brake controller.
Amen.

Quote:
Most brands say it has to come from the factory with it, ...
I don't know about GM and Ram, but on a Ford you can add the integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC). It's pretty much "plug and play" to install it, but after it's installed, you must update the truck's computer {powertrain control module (PCM)} so the ITBC will work. Any Ford dealer can do that and most will charge you about one hour labor rate. Here's a source to order the ITBC for a 2012 thru 2015 SuperDuty pickup at a discount price:
https://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...t-fc3z19h332ba

If your tow vehicle is not a 2012 - 2015 SuperDuty, then change vehicle on that website to get the right ITBC for your Ford.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote