Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2014, 05:17 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post

So, the OP asks a question whether or not a half ton will pull a 20-25 foot trailer. Gets some useful feedback from some members...and then the insults start?

I just don't get it...guess it's easy to take potshots when you have deeper pockets then some of us. Just sayin'...
No insult intended, no pot shots, just common sense.

There are too many deaths in this country due to improper towing methods and under-rated tow vehicles.

People need to use their heads AND some common sense when planning to tow something over the road. It's for their safety and the safety of others driving or riding nearby.

http://www.pjtrailers.com/downloads/...ral_Safety.pdf

Grieving mom hopes tragic loss prevents towing accidents

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2014, 06:09 PM   #44

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I so love questions like "Will a ___ tow a TT" because.. Well "TT" covers so much ground, For sure it will tow the 13 foot SCAMP I traded in on this class A, no question about it.. I mean....

Bigger than that I can not say.. But this I can say:

IF you ask the salesman at the dealership he will reply "NO PROBLEM"

Does not matter if the truck is a Ford F-150 and the trailer is said 13' Scamp (Max 2000 pounds) or a 40' 3-slide out Trailer tipping the scale at 25,000 pounds.. The salesman will say NO PROBLEM.

Read your owner's manual

Max combined vehicle weight rating - actual vehicle weight not loaded = First number... Max towing rating = second number,, Answer is the lesser of those two numbers, If trailer bigger,, TOO HEAVY.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:34 PM   #45

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Some 1/2 tons yes, some no. Some are not much more than grocery getters. Seen many with v-6 engines and tall gears. One with decent gearing and a v-8 yes.
X2 I agree 100% exactly. depends on how the truck is set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Disagree. Uncontrollable sway that results in an upside down TT has a lot more to do with the hitch and a lot less to do with the payload capacity of the tow vehicle. Ignorant RVers that try to get by with a cheap hitch are much more likely to have uncontrollable sway. Even a one ton dually can have uncontrollable sway if not hooked up with a good sway-control hitch.
If you completely rely on a sway control hitch to keep the TT upright, then you have a problem that needs fixed.

of the TTs I've towed none (20'-34' TTs) have had ANY noticeable sway and None have been hooked to any kind of sway control or weight distribution bars as well.
Maybe its the F-350 they are hooked to? (its a 05 model with a 13K GVWR) I do make sure they are level when hitched up. that is it though.

sometimes There isn't a hitch in the world that can help you.

The wind didn't cause any sway, the wind just flipped it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froman View Post
I would agree with everyone about the speed no matter what you're towing with. I've been passed by other TT's while I'm going 60-65mph. They had to be going close to 80, only to see them on the side of the road with a shredded tire a little bit further down the road.
This sounds like good ol' common sense to Me.
X2 I agree 100%
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:33 PM   #46

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Still don't see the negativity in this post. Seabecks please point out the others not counting this one.Seems like a very informative forum.
Well, how about the one just before yours that tells the OP to get a Casita...
SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #47

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Unless the OP. has a tiny V-6 in his Chevy work truck, there should be no problem in finding a 20' to 25' tt. Even with the 4.8L V-8's in the Chevy's you could have a 4800lb. to a 7700lb. towing cap. The 5.4L and the big 6.2L might get you 10k+. My 26' tt comes in at 5200 loaded.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:03 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
No insult intended, no pot shots, just common sense.

There are too many deaths in this country due to improper towing methods and under-rated tow vehicles.

People need to use their heads AND some common sense when planning to tow something over the road. It's for their safety and the safety of others driving or riding nearby.

http://www.pjtrailers.com/downloads/...ral_Safety.pdf

Grieving mom hopes tragic loss prevents towing accidents

Dr4Film ----- Richard
And yet, in your first post, you don't talk about safety...just a reference that if the OP just buys a Casita he'll be fine. Implication is clear that if he wants something in the 20-25 foot range to pull with his Silverado that he's irresponsible?

You say this isn't a pot shot...

If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck..etc etc.

JMHO of course.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #49

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
I've participated in a number of forums (cars, trucks, motorcycles, and now RV's) so can't say I'm at all surprised. Just disappointed that I seem to see more of this negativity here than any other forum. JMHO.
Quote:
And yet, in your first post, you don't talk about safety...just a reference that if the OP just buys a Casita he'll be fine. Implication is clear that if he wants something in the 20-25 foot range to pull with his Silverado that he's irresponsible?

You say this isn't a pot shot...

If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck..etc etc.

JMHO of course.
Who's quacking the loudest?

Humor (Humour) is the tendency of particular cognitive experiences to provoke laughter and provide amusement. Often using surprise or exaggeration presenting an absurd situation or example.

Let's stay on topic. The topic is, "Will half ton pull a TT???" The answer is YES, if you mind your weights. I pulled a 14' boat on a trailer behind a '79 Honda Civic, just a bit bigger than today's Mini Cooper.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:13 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
I guess some of us have more common sense than others.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:33 PM   #51

Well, I am doing a lot of quacking!

On one of my motorcycle forums (Ducati owners) I'm known as DUCBIL...LOL!