Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2021, 01:46 PM   #1

Will I need an anti-sway hitch for this rig?

We have a new 2020 Dodge Ram 2500, 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew Cab, 8' box, 10k lb GVW, 2k lb. payload, 17.5k lb tow, 15.5k lb. GCWR, Self-Leveling rear air suspension (factory option), and Electronic Trailer Sway Dampening. We purchased this truck as an upgrade to an older Ram 3500 2WD SRW that we used to tow our Domani 5ver. The higher bed height of the new truck is not compatible with the low pin height of the Domani so we will sell it. We were about to pull the trigger on a new Grand Design Reflection 337RLS 5ver until we realized that the wet pin weight would exceed the payload capacity of the truck.

As a fallback position we are considering the Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer, 37'11' long, 9,297 lb. dry, 11,295 lb. wet, 1,065 lb. dry tongue weight. I do not anticipate needing a WDH due to the fact we have factory self-leveling air suspension, but would welcome input. I am very concerned about sway, due to the length. I have never towed a bumper pull trailer that long and with so much sail area. Would welcome any wisdom on this topic. Thank you in advance.
BriaLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2021, 02:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No, you will need a weight distributing and sway control hitch for the trailer with that truck. The self leveling will only prop up the rear of the truck. A weight distributing hitch will transfer some of the trailer hitch weight to the front of the truck which helps steering and onto the trailer axles. At 37 plus feet long, I would recommend either a Hensley Arrow hitch or a Pro-Pride rather than the cheaper hitches.

Ken
Old 05-21-2021, 03:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaLynne View Post
We have a new 2020 Dodge Ram 2500, 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew Cab, 8' box, 10k lb GVW, 2k lb. payload, 17.5k lb tow, 15.5k lb. GCWR, Self-Leveling rear air suspension (factory option), and Electronic Trailer Sway Dampening. We purchased this truck as an upgrade to an older Ram 3500 2WD SRW that we used to tow our Domani 5ver. The higher bed height of the new truck is not compatible with the low pin height of the Domani so we will sell it. We were about to pull the trigger on a new Grand Design Reflection 337RLS 5ver until we realized that the wet pin weight would exceed the payload capacity of the truck.

As a fallback position we are considering the Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer, 37'11' long, 9,297 lb. dry, 11,295 lb. wet, 1,065 lb. dry tongue weight. I do not anticipate needing a WDH due to the fact we have factory self-leveling air suspension, but would welcome input. I am very concerned about sway, due to the length. I have never towed a bumper pull trailer that long and with so much sail area. Would welcome any wisdom on this topic. Thank you in advance.
I think that's too much trailer for that truck. Generally your truck should weigh more than your trailer. A hitch won't help the situation because the problem is too much trailer, too little truck.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 05:31 PM   #4

Thank you.
Old 05-21-2021, 06:32 PM   #5

Truck weigh more than your trailer? Where did you hear that?
LanceKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:59 PM   #6

It's common sense. When your trailer starts moving you don't want it pushing your truck around. If it's heavier, i.e., if it has more inertia than your truck, it'll do just that.
Old 05-21-2021, 07:26 PM   #7

Even a 1 ton dually will only weigh about 8,000lbs. Are you saying a 1 ton dually shouldn’t pull a trailer more than 8,000lbs?

My truck weighs about 7200lbs, my trailer about 11,000. No sway issues.
Old 05-21-2021, 07:36 PM   #8

If you go slow enough it won't sway. But if you want to keep up with the semis on the interstate you better have a decent tow vehicle.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
I think that's too much trailer for that truck. Generally your truck should weigh more than your trailer. A hitch won't help the situation because the problem is too much trailer, too little truck.
Does that mean that in an 80,000 semi the tractor pulling the trailer weighs 40,000? Don't think so. A 1 ton dually weights about 8,000 and is rated to pull 25,000 to 30,000. Respectfully, your statement does not hold water.
Bill Nourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nourse View Post
Does that mean that in an 80,000 semi the tractor pulling the trailer weighs 40,000? Don't think so. A 1 ton dually weights about 8,000 and is rated to pull 25,000 to 30,000. Respectfully, your statement does not hold water.
Thanks! Not sure where the truck weighing more than the trailer idea got started, doesnít pan out in reality.

A well set up rig doesnít sway, there is no need to control sway that isnít there. Load nose heavy will eliminate, not control sway. Iíd much rather not have sway than try to control it.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:52 AM   #11

Thank you to all.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nourse View Post
We're not talking about a 5th wheel rig. We're talking about towing a travel trailer. With this arrangement there is a long distance from the tow vehicle rear axle to the hitch point. This gives the trailer a lot of leverage to push the back of the trailer around. You don't have this problem with a fifth wheel. If you want to be safe towing a travel trailer at highway speeds you have to have a heavier tow vehicle. Of course a lot of people do tow heavier trailers but they're going to keep the speed low.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
We're not talking about a 5th wheel rig. We're talking about towing a travel trailer. With this arrangement there is a long distance from the tow vehicle rear axle to the hitch point. This gives the trailer a lot of leverage to push the back of the trailer around. You don't have this problem with a fifth wheel. If you want to be safe towing a travel trailer at highway speeds you have to have a heavier tow vehicle. Of course a lot of people do tow heavier trailers but they're going to keep the speed low.
So with a bumper pull trailer you have to be under 8,000 pounds on the trailer to pull with any standard pickup truck on the market??? Even on the bumper, modern 3/4 and 1 ton pickups are rated to pull around 12,000 to 14,000. My old 2002 3/4 ton is rated to pull 12,000 on the bumper. What about the bumper pull mobile homes that are being pulled by medium duty trucks in a commercial setting? A 16x80 mobile home weighs about 51,000#. Do you think the tow vehicle weighs that much? I'm not a smart man, but what you're saying just doesn't make sense.
Bill Nourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:58 AM   #14

I kinda agree with 'move on'. He does makes sense to a large degree. I would agree with the bumper pull travel trailer should not weigh more than 1,000lb than the TV. 500lbs more is better and less than the TV is better yet.

MDT towing mobile homes - take another look. They are towing with a special permit and spotter vehicles. Plus they are only towing at 55mph.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch