Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGene7001 View Post
Just of curiosity I checked 07 Mercedes GL. Looks like around $15000. It sits 7. Payload is rated very conservatively, you are likely to be ok of your kids are small. You can sell your bmw, have your cake and eat it too. R class is even better. ML sits only five. Mine pulls 5800 lb 26 footer like a dream. We have 1 child and have plenty of payload capacity to spare. JM2c
I have no problem with a Mercedes. Actually quite versed with working on models thru about 2001. I had an 02 ML320, which was an absolute POS. In the shop 7 times within the first 30k for fuel evap issues, COMPLETE new motor under warranty at 44k, and 6 new coil packs at 66k.

Nothing like the Mercedes of the early 90's or older.

Are the newer ML's and GL's holding up well and being reliable? Haven't really kept up with them since my ML catastrophe...bad enough that it made me jump ship to BMW's!
DougL3NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #30

While there are horror stories about any car on the internet, from my experience as well as my friends/ colleagues I can say that MB is very reliable and what is more important they last much longer. My wife's ML had zero issues so far, got 35k on the odometer. 07 E550 with 95k miles needed new starter and one air spring, a few small things. I changed front brakes only once, rear brakes and battery are original.. It still runs as good as it did on the first day and I have no problem adding another 100k. Had g35, had rx350- can't be even compared. I pay $400-600 for dealers service, it's good for 10-13k miles. The quality of service is crucial for these vehicles.
MB truck powertrains are overbuilt and unibodies are very heavy and stiff. You need to find one with tow package since adding one is approx $2500. Do you need to reinforce hitch receiver? Probably not, your trailer is very lite. You can read Hitch Hints At canamrv.ca to get more food for thought.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
JM2c
Hi, Gene.

To make you seem more geekish, use ASCII code to turn that "C" into "˘". To do that, instead of typing c, hold down the alt key and enter 0162, then release the alt key. The result on your screen will be ˘.

Look up ASCII code and UTF-8 code. There are 256 ASCII characters, but ˘ is not one of them. Instead you have to find a keyboard chart that lists the decimal codes that begin with 0, such as 0162. There is one at this link - scroll down to "currency symbols":
Windows Alt Key Codes

JM2˘
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougL3NC View Post
Are the newer ML's and GL's holding up well and being reliable? Haven't really kept up with them since my ML catastrophe...bad enough that it made me jump ship to BMW's!
MLs vary from year to year and engine choice... there is some questionability with where/when they were built. The early ones that rolled out of Tuscaloosa AL were spotty. Not unlike VWs built in Mexico and BMWs built in Spartangug SC.
You pay more for the German built ones for a reason.
The later ones have been extremely reliable and well sorted out.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Hi, Gene.

To make you seem more geekish, use ASCII code to turn that "C" into "˘". To do that, instead of typing c, hold down the alt key and enter 0162, then release the alt key. The result on your screen will be ˘.

Look up ASCII code and UTF-8 code. There are 256 ASCII characters, but ˘ is not one of them. Instead you have to find a keyboard chart that lists the decimal codes that begin with 0, such as 0162. There is one at this link - scroll down to "currency symbols":
Windows Alt Key Codes

JM2˘
I am definitely not catching any stars from the sky when it comes to typing. Swype is my best friend so I have to apologize for Korean accent in some of the posts
Old 10-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
MLs vary from year to year and engine choice... there is some questionability with where/when they were built. The early ones that rolled out of Tuscaloosa AL were spotty. Not unlike VWs built in Mexico and BMWs built in Spartangug SC.
You pay more for the German built ones for a reason.
The later ones have been extremely reliable and well sorted out.
All ML/GLs come from Tuscaloosa, AL since the beginning of the last decade, even those going to Europe and other places. There is no other final assembly point at this time, to my best knowledge. But AL factory straightened things up a lot after ML first generation fiasco.
Prices for the current generation of ML/GLs approached exorbitant levels, however.

JM$0.02
Old 10-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #35

"Swype is my best friend so I have to apologize for Korean accent in some of the posts"
너는대한민국 사람?
Just joking with ya'. You're Korean? LOL
(p.s. my Korean stinks, so if I misspelled...)
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:02 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
I have toyed with the idea of a full-size van instead of a truck when we move back. More room inside to "play with" and keep stuff, especially in bear/critter country.
Post pics when you decide!
A good friend of mine just bought a fully loaded Nissan NV3500 passenger van for his family instead of a Suburban. It's ugly, but a great deal (new-$35k with all the bells'n'whistles) and very capable. V8 tows 9,500lbs. V6 tows 7,000lbs.
If you take out the back row, you still have seating for 8 and massive cargo/dog room.
It's one of the best values I have seen if you can deal with the "style".
Old 10-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #37

Quote:
All ML/GLs come from Tuscaloosa, AL since the beginning of the last decade, even those going to Europe and other places. There is no other final assembly point at this time, to my best knowledge. But AL factory straightened things up a lot after ML first generation fiasco.
Prices for the current generation of ML/GLs approached exorbitant levels, however.

JM$0.02

Yes, all of them are built there (except AMGs). My point was the early ones were spotty.