Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2014, 03:02 PM   #1

Wiring a 1999 Bounder for towing

I've purchased a 1999 Fleetwood Bounder and want to flat tow with it. It has a hitch, but was only wired for lights, never was wired for brakes. I'm told this upgrade would cost about $850, maybe more.
Has anyone had experience with this?
My goal is to flat tow a honda crv. I know what I need for supplemental braking.
Thanks,
Linda
outofdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2014, 08:17 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
A Honda CRV is right at the line for needing supplemental breaks - about 3500 lbs. Check out the ready break. As for lights, get a 4 wire setup and use the magnetic trailer lights on the back of the vehicle - separate from the car. A bounder for sure is wired for a trailer - maybe it was modified? I assume your vehicle can be towed 4 down.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:11 AM   #3

Wellll... I took it to a local company that does trailer hitches and the owner told me that the coach was never wired for brakes. He tells me he would need to run the wiring from the front of the coach to the hitch.
There is a 4 prong electrical connection but he tells me it's obsolete and just for lights anyway.
Thanks,
Linda
outofdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofdodge View Post
Wellll... I took it to a local company that does trailer hitches and the owner told me that the coach was never wired for brakes. He tells me he would need to run the wiring from the front of the coach to the hitch.
There is a 4 prong electrical connection but he tells me it's obsolete and just for lights anyway.
Thanks,
Linda
The standard 4 prong trailer connection supports running lights, break lights, left/right turn signals and emergency flasher if wired correctly. If you have the 4 prong, trace the wires back to the front and see what is going on. Also, if you do purchase the mag trailer lights, you can just plug this into your 4-prong and test it out 1st before paying a lot. They look like this:

Stalwart 12V Magnetic Trailer Light Kit: Auto Parts : Walmart.com

Also, will your vehicle need a breaking system?

Tags
bounder, tow, towing, wiring