Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2014, 02:02 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two responses: First a hypothetical conservation:

Customer: Can my Pick Up tow this (F-150, or Chevy 10 and a
VERY BIG 38 foot 5th wheel trailer)
Salesman: NO PROBLEM

Frankly I think the salesman and the dealer he works for should be held liable when the inevitable happens.

This is why people tow heavy,, They trust the salesman, I mean he is a PROFESSIONAL right, he would not give me false info.. (He has no clue and what he does for a profession is collect signatures... On contracts, and he got one too).

Second: Why are they not pulled over and ticketed.

Well... The "Diesel Smokies" (Motor carrier officers) are the ones who know about weights and towing ratings and things like that.. NOT the regular traffic type cops.. And in most states the Motor carriers do not have jurisdiction over non-commercial drivers with the possible exception of driving under the influence.

Though in a very few cases there is cooperation between the two.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2014, 05:05 PM   #16

If you are just driving 10 or 20 miles to the local campground fine. Just take it easy and be careful. When it comes to driving this down the interstate hundreds or thousands of miles something is going to happen. Its not if its when.

Recreational vehicles are exempt from DOT. That is all fine and dandy. I dont want to pull through all the scales and none of you want to either. I am NOT a fan of big government and new laws but if these people keep doing this some time someone is going to hit the wrong person. Some congressman's relative and this law will change. Its just going to punish the rest of us that do what we can to be safe.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:08 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Last RV park we stayed at (Gallup, NM), there was an old Ford F-150 short wheel base truck towing a triple axle fifth wheel parked nearby...SO scary...
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast0ne View Post
I see lots of the being here in bc canada. My wife and I were almost hit last year when a oncoming truck had a tralier that I spotted swaying as it came towards us I moved all the way over right after he passed us he ended up in our lane and slammed on his brakes to come to a stop. This was on a two lane road scary.

Also last year we were driving I see in front of me I see a big tralier starting to sway as I pull around him to get away from this mess it's a F150 ecoboost with WDH hitch and the tralier is just way to big and heavy as his bumper is still almost dragging.

I am not sure what people are thinking but I really wish the truck and the rv industry would get there crap together before more people get hurt or almost killed. I see no explanation to why a company buliding a tralier can't take 15 mins at the end of a build to drive on to a scale and give the correct number. Some company's do this but not enough.

And same with the truck company telling people they can tow big ass tralier with a small truck. And end of the day it comes down to the commission sales people that we put trust in.

Sorry for the rant but even though I may joke about the weight police on here they really have taught me lots and I thank them for trying to help other people out.
Actually your very incorrect. Its not legal in BC for a sales person to sell (knowingly)anyone a trailer that their TV is not capable of towing or a truck that is not capable of towing their trailer.BC in fact has some of the toughest GVWR rules and regulations in Canada.The RV industry does have their crap together in BC and its strictly monitored by the motor dealers association of BC.Not saying the odd wingnut is not out there but BC overall is pretty safe and Very well regulated and monitored.You need to get your facts a little more together than you have when making a false post such as u have. Oh by the way I,am a licenced RV dealer in BC and have been for 30+ years.All our sales people have all the pertinent GVWR of all our units that we sell and get a copy of whatever truck A customer wants to pull with and its all gone ever with a fine tooth comb to make sure its a compatable package
racersedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:41 PM   #19

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by racersedge View Post
Actually your very incorrect. Its not legal in BC for a sales person to sell (knowingly)anyone a trailer that their TV is not capable of towing or a truck that is not capable of towing their trailer.BC in fact has some of the toughest GVWR rules and regulations in Canada.The RV industry does have their crap together in BC and its strictly monitored by the motor dealers association of BC.Not saying the odd wingnut is not out there but BC overall is pretty safe and Very well regulated and monitored.You need to get your facts a little more together than you have when making a false post such as u have. Oh by the way I,am a licenced RV dealer in BC and have been for 30+ years.All our sales people have all the pertinent GVWR of all our units that we sell and get a copy of whatever truck A customer wants to pull with and its all gone ever with a fine tooth comb to make sure its a compatable package
Sounds like a great start. Are the restrictions enforced on the road by LEOs?
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFromGC View Post
I see stats for the numbers of accidents caused by speeding, drunk driving and lately a lot of "distracted driving" or texting while driving. But, I don't recall seeing many headlines about the vast quantities of accidents caused by all these half ton trucks towing over their weight. It's almost as if it's not really the national crisis that we seem to read about here on these forums. Strange ;-)
Dan
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab Ecoboost
2013 Jayco Jayflight 28BHBE 28'
Think about all the bad wrecks we see pics of here on the forum. 99% of them are obviously NOT over weight.
All those bad things like Drunk driving, texting and distracted driving are Far more likely the cause of these wrecks than towing heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
What Restrictions? There are No specific laws against towing 3 times the weight over the tow rating in your owners manuals.....Now I would do it? No

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Why are they not pulled over and ticketed.
Well... The "Diesel Smokies" (Motor carrier officers) are the ones who know about weights and towing ratings and things like that.. NOT the regular traffic type cops.. And in most states the Motor carriers do not have jurisdiction over non-commercial drivers with the possible exception of driving under the influence.

Though in a very few cases there is cooperation between the two.
Not one mention of it in my Police Academy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
If you are just driving 10 or 20 miles to the local campground fine. Just take it easy and be careful. When it comes to driving this down the interstate hundreds or thousands of miles something is going to happen. Its not if its when.

Recreational vehicles are exempt from DOT. That is all fine and dandy. I don't want to pull through all the scales and none of you want to either. I am NOT a fan of big government and new laws but if these people keep doing this some time someone is going to hit the wrong person. Some congressman's relative and this law will change. Its just going to punish the rest of us that do what we can to be safe.
X2 exactly 100%

Having had a Towing service for 10 years I will say I have towed some things that were "Just barely Controllable" and they were controllable because I kept my mind on my driving and ONLY on my driving.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by racersedge View Post
Do you want a gold star. If you are so good then tell us all where you work. You get your fact together as I have seen my fair share of over weight truck tralier combos. So please don't start pating yourself on the back. Just because a few dealerships do the right thing this does not mean all bc dealers do.

I was told by dealers when I was looking at trailers oh you don't need to worrie about the gcwr and you can go more than your trucks 5000 pound tow rating and don't be concerned with gvwr. So if it had not been for sites like this and doing my own home work I would be stuck with a over weight tralier behind my truck.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:04 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
Yes - friend got pulled over pulling a U-Haul with his half ton. In BC they quite often will run all trucks across the scales. In his case he was fined and he had to get another truck to unload the U-Haul so it was within limits.

I have also seen half tons loaded with fire wood being hauled across the scale. From the piles of wood on the edge of the scale site and unhappy looks of some of the drivers they were getting tickets.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:10 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Everyone, please discuss the issue and not each other. Thanks.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:16 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

Recreational vehicles are exempt from DOT.
Not in our jurisdiction. The transport officer can request anyone pull over the scales at their discretion.

I dont believe there are any jurisdictions that have laws that exempt RV. At this time they just do not choose to enforce the laws. The main focus in on the OTR trucks as they cause the most road wear.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Recreational vehicles are exempt from DOT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Not in our jurisdiction. The transport officer can request anyone pull over the scales at their discretion.

I don't believe there are any jurisdictions that have laws that exempt RV. At this time they just do not choose to enforce the laws. The main focus in on the OTR trucks as they cause the most road wear.
He is right about the US, you are probably right about Canada/BC. Here in the states The DOT/PUCO enforcement officers are NOT trained to enforce what little laws we have on that, on NON-Commercial motor vehicles.
RV's Here in the U.S. are specifically Exempt from many Federal regulations.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:08 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
THIS is a classic example of people that need a clue.
It redefines "A wreck waiting to happen"

Old 07-07-2014, 05:20 PM   #27

At least they have the shopping cart wheels as a tag axle.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
At least they have the shopping cart wheels as a tag axle.

WOnder if that fan was acting as a wind turbine??
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote