Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2018, 05:26 AM   #1

Worried about low bridges

Hi,
I recently bought a new toy hauler and truck. I didn’t realize the new Ford Superduty trucks sat so much higher and only had 2” between bed rails and trailer. ( I adjusted the hitch height up, but RV was nose high, hitching and unhitching was problematic and still didn’t have necessary clearance)
I had the trailer springs moved above the axles and now have 6” clearance with a level trailer. But now I am concerned that my RV is 14 feet high. Even though many states have a 14’ limit, many rigs are at 13’6”.
For those of you that travel a lot, do you see many overpass signs below 14’?
(Looks like I solved one problem and created another...)
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2018, 05:43 AM   #2

yes, depending on where you go, of course, as most 'interstate' and major US and State roads would typically be 13' 6" at minimum, but in some areas there certainly are some slightly lower.... at least at the outside 'lowest' edge of the overpass or tunnel, etc...

anytime you near or exceed 13'6" you are going to have to be really cautious...
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:53 AM   #3

New Horizons Owners Club
Get a Rand McNally Truckers Atlas, it has all/most low bridges identified.
CDWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:18 AM   #4

My civil engineer friend told me when you see a hight sign on a bridge that is the lowest part. My thought is if a semi-trailer can make so can I. Ford might have screwed up by raising their truck height. I have a 2012 super duty and can reach into the bed...but barely. On the new trucks I can not come close.

I worry more about tree branches in camp grounds and even RV Parks.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:32 AM   #5

I have seen a lot of low bridges less than 13'6 but they were in small towns where my GPS tried to reroute due to an accident or faster route. Invest in the big rig/RV GPS I think by Garmin. Will save you a lot of headache
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:19 AM   #6

The “SmartRV Route” app seems pretty good and it only charges it for a specific amount of time for use. Apple App Store.
lonewolftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:31 AM   #7

I would not guess on the height. Measure it on level ground to know exactly how high! I thought it was this high can be expensive! Another note, how many times has a road been replaced and did they cut the surface first? Height sign could be wrong! Just my thoughts!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:44 AM   #8

My toy hauler is slightly lower than yours at 12'6", but when you are barreling down the road and the overpass is suppose to be at least a foot or more higher, it can be a real pucker factor. I bought the Garmin RV GPS (wanted a dedicated GPS) and it has been great, realizing that it is not 100% correct. It will warn you about the bridges, and the route that will avoid them. Also has the benefit of keeping you off roads that you really shouldn't be on due to size. I drove around the country using Google maps with the trailer. Never again, as it will put you on roads you really should not be on.

Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:02 AM   #9

I got the CoPilot Trucker software on an 8" tablet. It has in settings height, weight, length, etc. $50.00 for software. Had the tablet. Works great. I'm 13'6" truck. I would not want to be any higher.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:29 PM   #10

I appreciate all the good suggestions. Sounds like with the right tools and a lot of planning, it’s doable. Knowing what I know now, I would have bought an older truck or get a bed without rails.
Thanks for the help!
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:10 PM   #11

Here is another option you may want to consider: https://www.rvtripwizard.com/

RV Trip Wizard is a good tool to plan a trip. Among other features, RV Trip Wizard will show you where all of the low bridges are (as far as they know).

As far as I know, maximum legal height on public roads is 13' 6" (here in Oklahoma anyway).
Manufacturers are not going to build anything that is going to exceed 13' 6". However, you still need to be concerned about those old low bridges, tree limbs, and utility lines.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:48 PM   #12

Utitility clearence is, minimum, 15ft. driveways and 18ft over highways.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRebel View Post
Here is another option you may want to consider: https://www.rvtripwizard.com/

RV Trip Wizard is a good tool to plan a trip. Among other features, RV Trip Wizard will show you where all of the low bridges are (as far as they know).

As far as I know, maximum legal height on public roads is 13' 6" (here in Oklahoma anyway).
Manufacturers are not going to build anything that is going to exceed 13' 6". However, you still need to be concerned about those old low bridges, tree limbs, and utility lines.
I believe that is minimum legal height is 13/6. Part of Federal highway standards.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:10 PM   #14

Arrow

we've traveled alot and very seldom concern our 11'10" ride height .... BUT...

returning from Alaska, we traveled to/thru Fruita Colorado and decided to travel the COLORADO NATIONAL MONUMENT National Park's RIM ROCK DRIVE thru the heart of the crazy gorgeous beautiful outstanding geological formations!!! You are riding at the top of the rim of these absolutely amazing God-created 'monuments' on this very mountainous drive from Fruita to Grand Junction.... BUT....

at the entrance to the park, a sign reads: " 10'6" Tunnels Ahead " ?!?!(?) What??

well, I looked at my wife and said, "let's go for it!" ..... : / : )

I stopped at the park gatehouse surely expecting the young park officials to laugh and tell me to turn around and leave, but NO, they had big smiles, was happy to see us in our 'house on wheels', and shared the park brochure with us. Of course, slightly interested in knowing what the 'sign' meant, I asked. She smiled and said, "No problem, that's just at the very outside edges, and it's probably to scare RVs away!...but you'll be just fine, have a great drive!".... nice!

We had no issues with any heights or tunnels, everything is very fine for RV travels, though you'd be scared away if you actually believed the signs, which now I believe is not the park's doing, but the county where the park is located. This 'road' is fun, very interesting, will never 'bore' you, and will certainly tests your skills and confidence as a large rig driver. Some of those biking on the road, especially 'up hill slowly' will not like that you are sharing the road with them, but it's a public road, in a national park, and everyone is welcomed! There's even a campground at the 'top'.... ENJOY!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	COLORADO NM.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	277.9 KB
ID:	190016  
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote