Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2020, 03:57 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
I agree, too much trailer for a 1500. And a 2500 is the same physical size. The length of that trailer is going to be a problem when it gets windy or trucks pass you from behind.
How is a 2500 the same size as a 1500?
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2020, 06:49 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JpalmerCass View Post
12% tongue weight at GVWR of 9645 pounds is 1158 pounds; with 2060 pounds payload that leaves 902 pounds for passengers, cargo and the weight of the hitch. That is sufficient for many people's needs and would've been far more than sufficient for my wife and I when we pulled a travel trailer (310 pounds passengers and dog, 90 pounds hitch, 150 pounds of cargo in truck including 2 folding bikes).

I assume the hitch receiver is capable of 1158 pounds; the F-150 is rated at 1320 pounds when used with a weight distribution hitch, I assume the Chevy is comparable.
AH HA! I think this was this missing component that I hadn't thought of. In all my rookie logic I've been looking at tongue weight as a fixed number #845. But this is just the unloaded weight. I need to account for a fluctuating number up to #965 - #1468 Range (10-15% of GVWR). This is the factor that really skipped my mind.

With a payload of #2060 I have between #1095-#595 pounds for everything else Hitch, Passengers, Cargo etc.

This is where it get screwed! and clearly need a bigger Truck and/or Smaller trailer.

Payload

Passengers I'm a big guy and weight about 300, the wife is about 175, the kid is small, but I need to account for growth so erring on the side of caution lets say 150. Add in pets and I've got 50 pounds for the 2 dogs. Add in misc cargo and I've got 100-200 pounds of other crap. Add in Hitch and that's about 200 for the hitch I'm looking at. So I need #975-#1075 in payload AFTER tongue weight.

If I stay on the low side I'm safe (Barely), if I'm on the high side i'm way over. Like others have posted, it would take a lot of work and likely piss me off constantly having to shift weight to keep the tongue weight down, which may not even be safe.

Finally figured out where the big difference between the 1/2 vs. 3/4 ton is.
That payload capacity is a major difference even though the towing capacity is not that big a difference.

Back to square one! Thanks for all the feedback. Lucky for me I had NOT ordered the truck we had been looking at (though was very close).
RVNoob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:12 AM   #31

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yeah, they rely on those misleading "towing capacity" numbers. You will never get to that number safely with anything but a boat or flatbed utility trailer because those trailers require much less tongue weight. You will notice the commercials always show them hauling boats or a flatbed with bricks, never a travel trailer or 5th wheel. Glad you got it figured out. The important ratings are payload and Rear Axle Weight Rating. If you are good on those you generally will be good everywhere else. If your pushing the limit of either of those you may need to look at the hitch receiver as that has it's own separate rating, usually stamped in the steel of the receiver or on a sticker on the receiver. Some people see that sticker and assume that is how much capacity the truck has but it is strictly the capacity of the receiver itself. Newer trucks are better at not putting undersized receivers on from the factory but with used trucks you want to look at that rating as well.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:20 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNoob101 View Post
AH HA! I think this was this missing component that I hadn't thought of. In all my rookie logic I've been looking at tongue weight as a fixed number #845. But this is just the unloaded weight. I need to account for a fluctuating number up to #965 - #1468 Range (10-15% of GVWR). This is the factor that really skipped my mind.

With a payload of #2060 I have between #1095-#595 pounds for everything else Hitch, Passengers, Cargo etc.

This is where it get screwed! and clearly need a bigger Truck and/or Smaller trailer.

Payload

Passengers I'm a big guy and weight about 300, the wife is about 175, the kid is small, but I need to account for growth so erring on the side of caution lets say 150. Add in pets and I've got 50 pounds for the 2 dogs. Add in misc cargo and I've got 100-200 pounds of other crap. Add in Hitch and that's about 200 for the hitch I'm looking at. So I need #975-#1075 in payload AFTER tongue weight.

If I stay on the low side I'm safe (Barely), if I'm on the high side i'm way over. Like others have posted, it would take a lot of work and likely piss me off constantly having to shift weight to keep the tongue weight down, which may not even be safe.

That payload capacity is a major difference even though the towing capacity is not that big a difference.

Back to square one! Thanks for all the feedback. Lucky for me I had NOT ordered the truck we had been looking at (though was very close).
That's why I said you were within the numbers if you didn't load up the truck with people and gear (twice, I believe, in this thread).

Also GVWR for the TT and 15% of that for tongue weight.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:45 AM   #33

Having extra is always safer. You may want to haul a generator in the future. Keep the weight of one of those, plus fuel in mind.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:31 AM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Having extra is always safer. You may want to haul a generator in the future. Keep the weight of one of those, plus fuel in mind.
The payload sticker should assume a full tank of fuel, but no occupants (including driver) or cargo.

Edit: I realize now that you meant the weight of fuel for the generator. Sorry, my mistake.

To the OP, it sounds like you've arrived at the right decision. A 3/4-ton pickup with the right options should work well for you. (It's not until you get up to the 1-tons that you can safely assume you'll have enough payload for a trailer this size, no matter what options you pick!)

One note. Ford, for the F-series trucks, says that you only need a weight-distributing hitch for the F-150, not for the F-250 and up. While this may be technically true, for a trailer this size I would strongly recommend you get a WDH anyway. And if you can afford a Hensley Arrow or ProPride, go for it. Even with a 3/4 ton pickup, that trailer is going to be longer, taller, and heavier than your tow vehicle. Anything you can do to make your truck's job easier will pay off on the highway, trust me.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:11 AM   #35

Note that 3/4 ton diesels often have pretty low payload, sometimes not much over 2000 pounds. 3/4 ton gassers are generally over 3000 pounds payload.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:18 AM   #36

I usually try to avoid these discussions, But I have been there and done it. When pulling with a Half ton truck you need to do your home work as far as all the weights and everything will work. it takes a lot of work. Braking is a concern on any trailer when I got my 5th wheel still pulling with the half ton I put disc brakes on it. best thing I ever did. Since then I have upgraded to a 3/4 ton diesel because we plan on upgrading trailers soon
Gerry1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:28 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
I agree, too much trailer for a 1500. And a 2500 is the same physical size. The length of that trailer is going to be a problem when it gets windy or trucks pass you from behind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
How is a 2500 the same size as a 1500?
Still wondering how you think the 2 trucks are physically the same size?
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:55 AM   #38

2018 Sierra max tow pkg, 11,100 rated with 5.3 V8, 1968 lb. payload. Towing a 35' toyhauler scaled at 8900 lbs. loaded. Husky weight dist. hitch and it tows very well. OP must have the 6.2 to get the higher rating, so if properly loaded I say he will be fine.

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 Max Tow
alb2tpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:25 AM   #39

Talking

Quote:

Payload

Any weight you can safely put in the trailer, rear of the axles, will reduce your tongue weight and therefore your payload. My toyhauler is an extreme example. Unloaded, no motorcycle, the tongue weight is 1230 lbs. With a 1300 lbs. in the garage I scaled at 920 lbs. using the proper 3 pass method. I was actually under the minimum recommended %. Hope the facts don't offended some 10 year old truck owners

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 Max Tow
alb2tpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:56 PM   #40

Quote:
OK dumb guy question. Whats the big difference between a half ton and a 3/4 ton when I'm looking at this? I've looked at several 3/4 tons (much to my wives disapproval).On the older one's I'm looking at they have the same or lower towing capacity as this new truck.

I'm just trying to see understand the difference. I know alot of people are of the never use a half ton pickup for travel trailers, but I want to know if this just old school logic/bias or if there's other functional reasons behind that logic.

IMO a half ton with more towing capacity is better than a older 3/4 ton with less capacity. The max towing package on the truck gives it the improved suspension as well over the base half ton. Also it has a 6.2L V8 with 3.43 gear ratio.

BTW Thank you all for your opinions while I review this info.
Opinions are exactly that personal opinions. This travel trailer towing calculator will accurately and safely match a tow vehicle and travel trailer.
It offers the 30% safety factor most full-timers use for both safety and to insure the tow vehicle outlasts the factory warranty.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:12 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
It offers the 30% safety factor most full-timers use for both safety and to insure the tow vehicle outlasts the factory warranty.
30%!?! What a waste. Says who?
Old 02-08-2020, 10:33 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JpalmerCass View Post
30%!?! What a waste. Says who?
Sorry, I fat-fingered that, it should have been 20%. As to who, the Escapees organization for full-timers. That 20% is the standard on that online calculator I linked.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow