Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2019, 03:26 PM   #1

Would you tow these with the Ford Expedition Max?

We just sold our 35 ft Class A. We are downsizing to a trailer. We have a 2019 Ford Expedition Max with Heavy duty towing.
Expedition specs-
Wheelbase-131 in
Max tow- 9000 lbs
Max tongue- 930 lbs
Payload- 1591 lbs

We have been looking at various 25-26 ft travel trailers around 5000 lbs such as Rockwood Mini Lite and Forest River Land Surveyor. Our challenge will be finding a floorplan that won't leave us feeling cramped after downsizing from such a large class A. We have 2 children ages 9 and 12 so we need sleeping surfaces for both. We also travel with 2 small dogs. Would you be comfortable towing up to 28 ft? 28 ft opens up more possibilities for us. We don't want an uncomfortable driving experience as we've gone down the road of a 35 ft trailer with an F-150 that led to an F-250 in the past. My husband doesn't want a truck as he's happy with his wrangler, and the expedition is my daily driver and favorite vehicle so we are towing with it.

Here's what we are looking at at the moment.
Winnebago Minnie 2455BHS
Length- 27'11"
Dry- 5320
Hitch- 660.

We love the Winnebago Minnie 2606RL, but it may be too long. It's
Length- 28'10"
Dry- 5280
Hitch- 640.

Thoughts? Any other suggestions? We love Forest River products so we like the Land Surveyor and Rockwood as well, although the Rockwood Mini Lite hitch weight is about 730 lbs dry weight. I don't like that a bit.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2019, 03:35 PM   #2

First is stop looking at dry weights. Look only at gvwr. With that said. The trailers you have listed. I would not hesitate to tow with expedition max. As long as it is equipped properly. I would not go any bigger than the 28 ft you listed. That will max the expedition out to its max.
kylemcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 03:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemcmahon1 View Post
First is stop looking at dry weights. Look only at gvwr. With that said. The trailers you have listed. I would not hesitate to tow with expedition max. As long as it is equipped properly. I would not go any bigger than the 28 ft you listed. That will max the expedition out to its max.
Kyle,
Thanks for your thoughts. I was initially set on never going above 26 ft, but we are so limited in floorplans I'm worried we won't be happy. And yes, I know I need to look at GVWR, but I was giving a general idea. The GVWR on both of those is 7000 lbs. We traveled all over the country in the Class A, but we will only be doing local trips with the trailer (6 hours away max) so we won't be packing nearly as much stuff. I gave you the actual sticker numbers off my car.

The previous white knuckle experience we had with our F-150 was a Rockwood that was 35 ft in length and about 7500 lbs dry. We were rookies then. Ended up with an F-250 that towed like a dream, but my husband HATED the F-250 for daily driving as it's not practical for our lifestyle. That's how we ended up just buying a class A and towed a wrangler.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:53 PM   #4

The expedition is going to tow like the f150 at best. More than likely though worse. I have hundreds of thousands of miles in very heavy hauling so for me towing us nothing. But 28 ft is maxed out. And will not be the funnest to do. Like you said f 250 is best for no worries. I use my f250 gas and tow 38 ft 11000 lbs outback bunk house.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemcmahon1 View Post
The expedition is going to tow like the f150 at best. More than likely though worse. I have hundreds of thousands of miles in very heavy hauling so for me towing us nothing. But 28 ft is maxed out. And will not be the funnest to do. Like you said f 250 is best for no worries. I use my f250 gas and tow 38 ft 11000 lbs outback bunk house.
I must say though I don't think it's going to tow "worse" by any means. I would estimate more like equivalent. This is the one that's been at the top of our list in shorter length-
Forest River Surveyor Legend-
Length- 25'11"
UVW- 5137
CCC- 2380
Hitch- 517.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvingfamily View Post
I must say though I don't think it's going to tow "worse" by any means. I would estimate more like equivalent. This is the one that's been at the top of our list in shorter length-

Length- 25'11"

UVW- 5137

CCC- 2380

Hitch- 517.

In general suvs tow travel trailers worse than a pickup because they weigh more than a pickup. That is in general. Just keep that in mind. That is why I said it. Depending on how the trailer and suv is loaded can depend a lot on how it handles.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:24 PM   #7

I would stay under 6,500 GVWR as your tongue weight will be your limiting factor.
Average tongue weight of 13% plus a good WDH will put you at your max. Dry tongue weights are without options, batteries, propane, and anything you put in it. But 13% is a good average, it could be higher depending on model. Be sure to look at dry weights on units sitting on a dealers lot, not a website.
Another thing to consider is kids typically want to be out in a tent with friends by age 13, as that was our experience anyway.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 07:31 PM   #8

Quote:
This is the one that's been at the top of our list in shorter length-
Length- 25'11"
UVW- 5137
CCC- 2380
Hitch- 517.
Expect the tongue weight to be between 510lbs for UVW to as much as 750 for gvwr.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:45 PM   #9

My daughter's family has been towing a Jayco 28BHBE for several years with a Expedition EL 5.4L. No issues including MI to Disney World. They just bought a 2019 Expedtion Max 3.5L EcoBoost and are heading to Disney World in a couple of months.

Their "other car" is an F350 Crew Cab, which would tow better, but for a long trip with 2 adults and 4 children, the Expedition Max is much more comfortable.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:25 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Length- 25'11"
UVW- 5137
CCC- 2380
Hitch- 517.
IRS v leaf springs will be the biggest difference in favor of the pickup.
Shutterbug57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:21 AM   #11

I tow a Forest River 282QBXL with my Expedition EL. GVWR is around 7,600 lbs. We're maxed out on payload, but it handles fine at normal cruising speed of 65. I've had it up to 75 for very brief periods while passing slower vehicles. Fuel economy plummet above 65. The GVWR allows for full water tanks, which we never pull with. But I think this is definitely the limit due to the payload constraint and length.
Jghall00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 05:04 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just watch the tongue weights as the Max’s receiver is only rated to 930lb...
Old 01-01-2020, 07:03 AM   #13

You're certainly good to tow a 28' trailer. I'd be looking to get one with a slide, as they're just so much more trailer spacewise--in the same length. They're the most popular style of travel trailers.

I used to tow a 31' travel trailer with a conversion Econoline van. You have much more vehicle than I did. I would suggest you spring for one of the very premium hitches (like a Blue Ox), however.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, tow