Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2016, 07:13 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
Don't get your panties in a wad. If you don't like my message just go on down the road .... take a deep breath and relax.

Rvers haven't been calling it a triple tow very long...just since Towing World came out with with their chart a few years back and opinions expressed by a few new folks to the towing world on this and other rv websites.
Same ol Jim

Believe me, it wasn't Towing World that invented that term for what I use it for. But carry on with your hollow mission - I'll leave it alone if you stop trying to correct me.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2016, 07:57 PM   #30

Don't come to CA towing ball to ball or over 65ft. Has to be 5th wheel to ball and must have commercial class A to do it. I also believe Oregon doesn't allow doubles at all off interstates.

I don't have a pic but I tow a 5th wheel with a flatbed trailer for the ATVs behind it. 63 ft 6 inches tip to tip. Not a problem going straight or turning but I wouldn't be caught dead trying to back it up. Will be going to a 5th wheel toyhauler in the near future since they make them with 16ft+ garages.

Andrew
Fushux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:24 PM   #31
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Let's keep the discussion on the topic & stop taking swipes at each other. Remember our 1st Community Rule!

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:48 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fushux View Post
Don't come to CA towing ball to ball or over 65ft. Has to be 5th wheel to ball and must have commercial class A to do it. I also believe Oregon doesn't allow doubles at all off interstates.

I don't have a pic but I tow a 5th wheel with a flatbed trailer for the ATVs behind it. 63 ft 6 inches tip to tip. Not a problem going straight or turning but I wouldn't be caught dead trying to back it up. Will be going to a 5th wheel toyhauler in the near future since they make them with 16ft+ garages.

Andrew
CA regulations only say that each hitch has to be of sufficient strength to tow the trailers. Code 29003: Every hitch, drawbar, coupler or other connection between motor vehicles towing must be securely attached to the vehicle and be strong enough to handle the weight of whatever you are towing.

Here is information published regarding length and towing by state. Good Sam Camping
Old 07-20-2016, 08:20 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb27537 View Post
I did this and not a single LEO even gave me a look. Towed across Missouri, Kansas to Colorado and back. The toad had brakes and the MH had both 4xdisc brakes and exhaust brakes. Yea, I was a bit long @ 72', but had no issues. On this trip I have a DRW truck, 5th, and a 6x10 trailer behind the 5th. Again, not a single look from anyone.

This is last years trip, again not a single look. You are correct that in SOME states it is not legal. Kinda like my carry permit, If I can not carry in your state, I do not spend my money in your state.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:33 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
CA regulations only say that each hitch has to be of sufficient strength to tow the trailers. Code 29003: Every hitch, drawbar, coupler or other connection between motor vehicles towing must be securely attached to the vehicle and be strong enough to handle the weight of whatever you are towing.

Here is information published regarding length and towing by state. Good Sam Camping
I stand corrected. They did away with the 5th wheel to ball years ago. I do know there is a lot of braking requirements as well as commercial DL requirements. 65ft rule still applies.

Andrew
Fushux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:50 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Here's one for you. Camped in a pull-through site next to me at Cochise Terrace in Benson, AZ.
And we were a few sites over on the other side!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Army truck and trailers.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	133691  
donnandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:55 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnandon View Post
And we were a few sites over on the other side!!!
No kidding. We were only there for an overnight.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:01 AM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Law Enforcement Officer = LEO
TechNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:54 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fushux View Post
I stand corrected. They did away with the 5th wheel to ball years ago. I do know there is a lot of braking requirements as well as commercial DL requirements. 65ft rule still applies.

Andrew
Got caught with the same change myself. Hard to keep up with all of the regulation changes. I just wish all of the State and Federal DOT would get together and have one unified set of rules. Make life a lot simpler and compliance easier.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:47 PM   #39

Here is my old set up!
72ft and severely over weight. Traveled all over tx, Oklahoma, and up to Kentucky and down to Georgia and back across to Oklahoma. No issues except weird looks and people taking pics when I was passing them in left lane in the mountains of northern Tennessee and south Kentucky.
Cyc4200john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:57 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0 View Post
Law Enforcement Officer = LEO
Does the term apply to dog catchers, crossing guards and building inspectors or just the police?
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:29 AM   #41

Thor Owners Club
just the police
TechNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:29 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0 View Post
just the police
It's COPS, not LEO Don't you watch the TV show?
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote