Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2015, 08:22 AM   #1

1st winter storage prep

We have a 2015 Jayco Jay Feather Hybrid-25'. Want to make sure we are doing everything to ensure our trailer is safely stored for the "'very cold" winter here in Michigan. We think we have the water lines down. But wondered if anyone has pointers for the interior. Should we use some type of rodent control or moisture control items for the inside? And should we leave cushions and mattresses inside for the winter, or should we bring them in the house?
bugspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2015, 10:39 AM   #2

We always remove all the food, do the water lines and then park it. Never take out the cushions/mattresses.
shane772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:51 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

You mentioned you think you've got the plumbing licked, be sure to empty all tanks and put some RV antifreeze down the drains to keep the traps from freezing.

If you make sure to remove all food, putting a few traps or poison baits out for mice will usually suffice. You could have it sprayed underneath with repellant, barriers, etc., but unless you leave food inside, it's often not needed. Don't waste money on electronic or sonic devices, a simple mousetrap works better. Leave roof vents open if you have vent covers to allow them to help prevent moisture build up and allow air inside. Cushions can remain in place and you can pull shades or use covers to prevent sun damage.

I remove batteries from remotes, clocks, smoke detectors and leave them in a plastic tray to remind me to reinstall or replace in the Spring.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:08 AM   #4

Thanks much!
bugspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:20 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We use mothballs and place them inside the lower cabinets. I'll also place a few by the wheels and hitch. Has worked for the last 10 years.

We remove all batteries, flashlights, lanterns, outside shower spray hose, TV, food...

The only casualty of the last two winters has been the plastic trim piece around the exterior frig wall vent has cracked.

We will leave the bathroom roof vent open a crack to get air flow. On nice days (warm for NE. OH.) I'll open the camper door, just to get some fresh air in and check on things.

If the snow starts to pile up over 18" on the roof and I see that there is going to be rain in the forecast, I'll bloom off some of the snow on the roof.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:27 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Mothballs will make the RV smell like a storage closet or Grannies old trunk, but they don't really repel mice. If a mouse wants a house (shelter) from winter temps, they can overcome the smell to save their life.

Do Mouse Repellents Work? - Peppermint, mothballs, ammonia, etc.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-17-2015, 12:26 AM   #7

bug, You should use an compressor to blow all lines, outside shower and flush toilet a few times with air hooked up as well. You can easily make an air chuck with a garden hose connector to connect air to fresh water fill.
It is also very important to empty water that remains in pump filter and whole house filter then get pump to draw anti freeze into it. I then blow all the lines out again to get as much antifreeze out as I can.
I also make sure all faucets and valves are closed when done to maintain seal shape.
For mice I have found the best defense is to try block all entrances with steel wool or other barrier and if I see any sign of mice I go for large doses of Decon Poison, works 24/7 and traps are just to unreliable and labor intensive to work well..

2007 Excel, 30RSO, Demco Glide Ride, B&W Companion.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:37 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'll blow mine out and add the RV antifreeze. Some people only blow out the lines. To add the rv antifreeze, unscrew the inlet side of the water pump, screw in a threaded fitting with a hose that you stick in the gallon jug of antifreeze. Usually one gallon covers it for a rv trailer. Make sure you see the pink water coming out of each fixture including the toilet.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:41 PM   #9

i live in northeast ohio we buy the little bucket things DampRid Disposable Moisture Absorber, from the dollar tree and i put one in each sink in case it overflows.. tho last year it didnt have much water collected when we opened up in the spring. i also used almost a whole box of original scent bounce dryer sheets and put in all the drawers,cubbards, shelves and under and on top of the cushions and had no signs of varmits.
3boxerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:04 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boxerss View Post
i live in northeast ohio we buy the little bucket things DampRid Disposable Moisture Absorber, from the dollar tree and i put one in each sink in case it overflows.. tho last year it didnt have much water collected when we opened up in the spring. i also used almost a whole box of original scent bounce dryer sheets and put in all the drawers,cubbards, shelves and under and on top of the cushions and had no signs of varmits.
I question why a sink would overflow during winter storage? Isn't the plumbing drained or turned off? Also, putting an absorbent like DampRid in a sink, with an open drain, would simply absorb the moisture coming from the sink drain, which is very minimal if you've put RV antifreeze down the drain. I know they're from the Dollar Tree, but wouldn't a box or two of baking soda do much the same, and absorb any odors too?

As I mentioned, leaving the roof vents open a bit plus a window or two that is shielded from rain or snow entry keeps our RV very ventilated during storage.

As to Bounce fabric softener sheets to repel mice, see #6 in this article:

http://household-tips.thefuntimesgui...c-softener.php

Bob & Donna

Tags
storage, winter