Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-17-2021, 08:13 AM   #1

2004 Skamper by Thor floor

Hello everyone

New to the forum and a new owner of a 2004 kodiak Skamper 21tt. I just bought it last week knowing that i would have to replace some of the flooring. Well, once I started opening it up I realized it is now the complete floor that needs replacing. Ive been going back and forth with how i want to do it. The current floor is the sandwich type floor with 1/4 plywood/1.5" foam/1/4 plywood.

So my idea was to install some floor joists with 2x8's and 2x4's attached to the frame rails and lay 2x4's on top of them to get to the original subfloor height. (they have aluminum rails now but not nearly enough for support. Then lay 3/4" in walking areas and 1/4 under the cabinets. I wont be able to install anything thicker under the cabinets due to the room. 1/4 inch is what was there before (sandwich floor).

My problem is to remove the cabinets or not. I removed the front bench/couch area but finding the rest it so much work with plumbing and wiring needing to be addressed. Wondering if I can just slide new 1/4" under the cabinets in a jigsaw type method

Or is it preferable to recreate the old sandwich floor? It just doesnt seem like a great design to me but what do I know?

What are your experiences?

btw, the only active leak I found was from the sink which Ill fix easily. I believe this problem happened from the bottom up with a failing membrane
billgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2021, 10:13 AM   #2

Decided on recreating the sandwich floor. Buying new under belly material, 1/4" plywood, and foam board. Will also add more support in the form of 2x4's and 8's
billgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:21 PM   #3

Sounds like you have the right answer...

I haven't had any experience with replacing floors in trailers, but like you said there are many options. Water is the enemy with most RV's, and it takes some time to do the checking and maintenance to keep things sealed. Hopefully we can all enjoy some travelling and exploring this year... great work!

https://www.irv2.com/forums/images/irv2/attach/jpg.gif
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0812.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	543.3 KB
ID:	326321  
CARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 09:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgrim View Post
Hello everyone

New to the forum and a new owner of a 2004 kodiak Skamper 21tt. I just bought it last week knowing that i would have to replace some of the flooring. Well, once I started opening it up I realized it is now the complete floor that needs replacing. Ive been going back and forth with how i want to do it. The current floor is the sandwich type floor with 1/4 plywood/1.5" foam/1/4 plywood.

So my idea was to install some floor joists with 2x8's and 2x4's attached to the frame rails and lay 2x4's on top of them to get to the original subfloor height. (they have aluminum rails now but not nearly enough for support. Then lay 3/4" in walking areas and 1/4 under the cabinets. I wont be able to install anything thicker under the cabinets due to the room. 1/4 inch is what was there before (sandwich floor).

My problem is to remove the cabinets or not. I removed the front bench/couch area but finding the rest it so much work with plumbing and wiring needing to be addressed. Wondering if I can just slide new 1/4" under the cabinets in a jigsaw type method

Or is it preferable to recreate the old sandwich floor? It just doesnt seem like a great design to me but what do I know?

What are your experiences?

btw, the only active leak I found was from the sink which Ill fix easily. I believe this problem happened from the bottom up with a failing membrane

I just completed a floor replacement of the exact same composite sandwich construction .

The floor was damaged by rain which entered through a broken roof vent that the P.O. was aware of but did nothing to mitigate the problem.

I pulled up and separated the top 1/4" plywood from the foam insulation . Then laid out the new joist so they tied into the exterior rim framing and used self tapping screws to attach to rim and main frame members. I removed the insulation where the joist were to be located . I then ran the 2x4's flat so they were the same depth as insulation . To provide a stiffer structure I attached vertical 2x4's to the bottom of the flat 2x4's creating a "T" joist . The vertical 2x4's ran between the aluminum framing.

At the cabinets I ran the 2x4's under the front cabinet framing and screwed the cabinets to the 2x4's .

I then laid the 1/2" marine grade plywood floor decking . I chose the marine ply for it's water resistance and structural support , it has more ply's , no voids , water proof glue and it's plugged and sanded so it's ready for flooring .

I've attached some photos for reference . It took about 40 man hrs. It was a challenge but well worth the effort.

This of course is only one of a number of ways to do the repair .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20210416_100532882.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	326338   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210415_164327895.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	353.3 KB
ID:	326339  

Name:	IMG_20210416_120232762.jpg