Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2018, 11:46 AM   #1

Ac not keeping up with Louisiana heat/humidity

Hello all I have a heartland prowler 25lx and I am thinking about getting a portable ac to help out. We have the 13,500 btu unit I assume. Should we upgrade to the 15k or try different ideas? This past weekend we had fans all over the unit. Ac is blowing cold. Just can't keep up with the kids opening the doors!
KyleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2018, 12:33 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club

I personally wouldn't pitch a good rooftop unit just because it isn't able to keep up.
If the really high temps are something that you'll be in regularly you could have a second unit added on the roof and have a separate connection added outside so you could plug in a separate cord.
If you want a cheaper solution because this isn't that common than you could get one of the portable units and just vent it out a window.

edit; I don't know what year your MH is but I recently had to replace the motor in my 13,500btu unit. Now the unit blows much more cold air into the MH and is able to keep up when its above 90.

Good luck!
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:16 AM   #3

A good option is to look onto adding extra insulation. This is the expandable section so I'm guessing you have popouts. There is some silver bubble wrap like stuff called solar panels called refelctix that you can get in rolls and add under the bunks and over the windows. It seems to help alot. I used to have a popup. Part of the Texas/LA thing is its just hot. I limit my August trips. Try to wait till Sept. to go again. Also try to keep opening/closing the door to a minimum. A fan inside to circulate the air helps alot.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-1...5-ft-L/3011906
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:25 AM   #4

Thanks actually this unit doesn't have any slides or pop outs. My last one did that was miserable [emoji3]. a step in the right direction but I'm like you thinking very seriously about planning anymore July August trips.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:48 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
In a cheaper trailer, the insulation is minimal. We notice in our new ORV Timber Ridge trailer it's far superior insulation factor. Thermal pane windows, thicker baggage doors (1" vs. 1/2"), Better insulated roof. Where everyone's AC is running full blast, even in a semi-shady site, ours will cycle on & off 50% of the time in 90 degree temps.

Suggest try a piece of refletex in a south facing window. Try to reserve campsites with less full sun exposure. Make sure the AC unit's filter is cleaned. Make sure you have all the vents are adjusted to give the best air flow.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:10 AM   #6

I keep a small table top fan going too to help circulate air inside. That helps alot.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleC View Post
Hello all I have a heartland prowler 25lx and I am thinking about getting a portable ac to help out. We have the 13,500 btu unit I assume. Should we upgrade to the 15k or try different ideas? This past weekend we had fans all over the unit. Ac is blowing cold. Just can't keep up with the kids opening the doors!
Easy solution!
Get rid of the kids!
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:23 AM   #8

I like them too much....so can't do that. Plus who would cut the grass?
Old 08-08-2018, 11:25 AM   #9

Went with a family of un-trained kids. hey opened the door on their rv so many times, aluminum dust was on the ground directly under the door hinge. Parents ignored them.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:57 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Even where we are going to be camping at a dry (no services) campground, I'll do a Google Search to see what campsite to reserve to keep the RV in the shade.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:50 PM   #11

Quote:
I like them too much....so can't do that. Plus who would cut the grass?
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post

I personally wouldn't pitch a good rooftop unit just because it isn't able to keep up.
If the really high temps are something that you'll be in regularly you could have a second unit added on the roof and have a separate connection added outside so you could plug in a separate cord.
If you want a cheaper solution because this isn't that common than you could get one of the portable units and just vent it out a window.

edit; I don't know what year your MH is but I recently had to replace the motor in my 13,500btu unit. Now the unit blows much more cold air into the MH and is able to keep up when its above 90.

Good luck!
Quote:
So seeds see and ready see see see s
Old 08-08-2018, 08:12 PM   #12

Interesting. Not sure what happened there
Old 08-08-2018, 10:29 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rv ac can at best put out about 18 degrees cooler than ambient air. Being in a hot humid climate you might want to add a dehumidifier--it would make cooling down more efficient and the dryer air is easier to deal with if hot.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:04 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome to summertime in Louisiana (and Texas). A few years ago I had a 30 foot Tracer Executive travel trailer that I used for temporary living while on a project assignment in the Texas Panhandle. That TT also had a 13,500 BTU A/C. During the cloudless skies and blazing sun of a Texas summer, the A/C would not keep up with the heat from that hot sun. The temp inside the T-T would rise to 76-78 F by mid-afternoon on a 100 F day. To help minimize the heat some, I used silver reflective shades in the windows and put the custom "pillows" in each roof vent to help keep out the hot sunlight. I used a 12" oscillating fan to make the 76-78 F inside temp "feel" more comfortable.

I also cleaned the roof of the T-T every couple of weeks to remove the red dust from the Texas panhandle plains to keep the roof as white and reflective as possible.

Several of the contract construction managers working for me at the time added a second 13,500 to their travel trailers and smaller fifth wheels in a roof vent usually above the "bedroom" furthest from their original A/Cs. Those second A/Cs were not connected to A/C ducting. I don't know how electrical wire was provided to the second A/Cs but they made a big difference in the cooling of their T-Ts and fifth wheels.

Some of my construction managers removed a side window from their bedroom area and installed 3/4" plywood with a 5,000 BTU window A/C that they purchased from Wal-Mart. Those window A/Cs were powered by an extension cord on the outside of the their T-T/fifth wheel. Usually those installations were not well done and were very ugly.

I made it through my two years in the Texas Panhandle. I just accepted that on Saturday and Sunday afternoons in July & August the inside of my T-T would be 76 - 78 F but with an oscillating fan and a cold beer now and then I was comfortable.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat