Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2005, 02:52 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Getting quotes for a 05' Aerolite model #236 this week. I few things that I need some input on are how it tows with a mid-size SUV. Toyota 4-Runner V-8). A few of the things I didn't like were the "cheap" looking faucets, dead space in the cabinets where either an extra drawer or door could have been added for more storage space, On the furnace outlet ducts they are fairly far from the furnace itself. I was wondering how warm the heat would be traveling 10' in either direction in a duct before it reaches the room. Any positive or negitive input is appreciated........Seems like the Aerolite's cost a few $$$ more but they seem to be the lightest to tow for the size.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2005, 02:52 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Getting quotes for a 05' Aerolite model #236 this week. I few things that I need some input on are how it tows with a mid-size SUV. Toyota 4-Runner V-8). A few of the things I didn't like were the "cheap" looking faucets, dead space in the cabinets where either an extra drawer or door could have been added for more storage space, On the furnace outlet ducts they are fairly far from the furnace itself. I was wondering how warm the heat would be traveling 10' in either direction in a duct before it reaches the room. Any positive or negitive input is appreciated........Seems like the Aerolite's cost a few $$$ more but they seem to be the lightest to tow for the size.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:30 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Jim & Diane - You know we had an Aerolite TT for nearly 5yrs & it was a nice little unit. It towed pretty good with the Durango we had at the time. Although it wasn't a hybrid, I think I can give you some input. We used a stabilizer bar on ours. It was 25' long & I think close to 5500 lbs loaded (I think they're heavier now). I'm sure the Cub will pull even better. Ya had to watch out for the semi "vortex", though, when they passed you on the freeway. We had outlet ducts both close to the furnace & 1 about 15' away (came out under the front bed). It was a bit of a haul for the heat to get to the bed end & it was noticeably cooler when it came out than the outlets that were right next to the furnace (kitchen & bath area), but nothing that wasn't compensated by those other outlets. We replaced our faucets with nicer ones because we, too, didn't like the cheaper ones that came with the TT. We had some dead space also & were able to utilize at least some of it with smaller storage bins for infrequently used items.

Look forward to seeing you & your new rig at the Rally or at our Pond Piggie outtings!

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 08:04 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanx Dave,
Since my last post, We made a trip down to Columbus to Sabo's Camping. Our dealer here in town (All Seasons) didn't carry the model we thought we would want. They said they would get one in about 6-8 weeks. So I figured that since the store in Columbus had one to show, we ended up driving down there last Saturday (1-29) to see it. Sabo's is a very small dealership. After deciding that is the model we like (#236) I said write me up a "out the door" price. I was a little suprised at the price (I thought it would be a little higher being a small dealer) $16,600. I was looking at near $15,000 to be where I wanted to be. So I said we would have to think about it. In the mean time a few weeks ago on E-Bay a dealer in Michigan (near Detroit) was selling Aerolite Cubs. So back in mid-Jan. I contacted him and he said once I knew which model and options I wanted he would make it worth my time to come up to Detroit and buy it there. He would beat any one's price by a bunch. He said he had a 1000 trailers on his lot and was the biggest dealer in Michigan. Well after the Columbus trip I contacted him Monday and said here is what I want, let's see what you can do. He came back with a price of $600 "MORE" than the Columbus dealer. Hummmm???? So I guess this week I'll go down to our dealer and see what price they will order one for. As far as towing I think I'll get the stabilizer bars also, and if needed get a weight-distribution hitch. The #236 Cub is very light in both dry weight and hitch weight. The trailer is 24'-4" , and is 3800lbs. dry with a hitch weight of 315. I'm going to estimate traveling loaded we will be at 4300-4500lbs. and a hitch around 450lbs. Our new tow vehicle 05' Toyota 4-Runner is rated at 7200 lbs. / 700 hitch and the hitch weight can go up to 1100 lbs. if you use a weight-distributing hitch. So It should handle it no problem. Sway is going to be the only issue. I know in our pop-up that I had to make sure that we had enough weight in that front storage trunk.