Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #1

Can I tow a HTT w/my 2012 Grand Caravan?

The GVWR is 3600 lbs. I do not have a tow package, just a hitch. My guess about weight of cargo 4 large adults and 2 big dogs and gear will be about 1600 lbs. Is my only option a pop up? I was really hoping to buy something like a 17' Rock wood Roo. But can I? Cannot afford to upgrade vehicle.
PhyllisCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #2

This is all info you can find with a google search but I will tell you my brother had a small hybrid TT which nearly killed his Grand Caravan so he switched to a pop up. I am not even convinced this is kosher as it is a 12 pop up with a slide out. The vans font pull much which is really too bad.
Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #3

I know it's an old thread, but the answer is no.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #4

with a payload like you've stated, you'll have nothing leftover for the tongue weight.
plus the max towing capacity is 3500lbs. for the GC, that eliminates all but the smallest of hybrids.
with such a heavy payload, that weight also lowers the GC's tow capacity.

what you need to do is find the GC's GCWR, which is the most that the loaded combo of minivan and trailer, can weigh.

of course, this all assumes that your GC has the factory tow package. if not, then the tow capacity drops to 2000lbs., i think.

but with 4 large adults, dogs and cargo being around 1600lbs., i think your only option will be a popup.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #5

Smile Thanks for the good answers

I appreciate you all helping to educate me. I now know to focus on pop-up or the smallest hybrids since my GC 's towing capacity is so limited. I've went to a few lots and rv shows, and I'm still preferring the convenience of an expendable TT. We would be using it mostly for weekend trips close to home, so it would be pretty easy to use a second vehicle to transport some of the cargo weight. Of course our adult kids won't always want to join us, and they (with their gear) account for much of the projected weight. I'm thinking we could consider the 16' Jayco Jay Feather we saw. It only had one expandable end though and I was hoping for two. We have time before we plan to buy, so I welcome any more advice anyone wishes to post.
--Phyllis
PhyllisCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #6

according to Edmunds.com, the 2012 GC has a curb weight of 4510lbs. and GVWR is 6050lbs.
Edmunds says maximum payload is only 1540lbs.
so, adding the 1600lbs. for adults, dogs and gear to the basic curb weight, puts you over the van's max weight, before you even add for the trailer's tongue weight.
that payload will also lower your 3600 towing number.

you really need to look at the owner's manual and get all the needed numbers.
GCWR and hitch capacity, along with payload, are the most important numbers to look at.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:22 AM   #7

The X17A and X17Z are below 3,500 gvwr, too. You have about 700 lbs. of cargo that could go in the trailer, if the dry weight of the trailer is correct. It usually isn't.
You can count on a tongue weight of 400 lbs.+, and most likely you'd need to add air springs at a minimum, or a WDH.
There is a fellow that pulls a HW296 highwall with his Kia Sedona (similar to a Grand Caravan). He just has to go slow up hills, but he isn't pulling a "wall" through the air, either.
My advice is forget about getting a hybrid and focus on something you can safely tow behind your TV (a popup), but you can do what you want.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Even the lightest (18') Jay Feather hybrid is 2800 (dry). That may not include common options like awning, AC, ect...On the bottom of Jayco's "floorplan" page it says "Unloaded Vehicle Weight (UVW): Sometimes referred to as "Dry Weight." UVW means the typical weight of this trailer as built at the factory. The UVW, as used in product literature and other promotional materials, does not include cargo, fresh water, LP gas, options or dealer-installed accessories."

On my Aerolite hybrid my tt is list at 4326 in the brochure. On the delivered weight sticker on my trailer it is 4378 with the options I ordered (Aluminum wheels, bunk lights (2)). awning and AC are standard on mine.

I just think a pop-up of some sort is more inline. We went from a medium sized pup to our first hybrid 24' (4500 wet) then second hybrid 25' (5000 wet).

The only other suggestion would be is get a pup with a front storage trunk...We kept things like tools, camp chairs, beverages, extra stove, firewood, tarps, awning lights, broom, hiking sticks, box of extra shoes....Was nice to keep that stuff in there.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote