Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2010, 01:10 PM   #1

Cougar High Country 5ers

Hi,

What if anything does anyone know about the Cougar High Country 5er's?

Since my dream of owing a Montana has been dashed due to what I can pull safely with my 3/4 Dodge, am looking at alternatives.

Is this brand of 5er a good quality one? Will it hold up in time? Pros? Cons? Anyone?

Thanks for any information!!
springnfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2010, 02:51 PM   #2

A lotta readers no experience eh?
Old 07-23-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
edj

I guess no one has bought one of these...
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:24 PM   #4

you might call Jim at lakeshore rv, he knows a lot about cougar and montana, the number is 231 788 2040.
shipwreck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:39 PM   #5

Cougar High Country

I did a lot of looking at 3/4 Towable 5th wheels and bit the bullet, just put a deposit on the New Cougar Lite weight - High Country 296BHS. The specs look really good for 3/4 ton vehicles: Hitch 1390, 7410 on weight, capacity of 2590 that is loaded to 10,000 with in our limit that is on a 33 footer. I have noticed most dealers have them loaded with options from the factory and they are! They used composite material which was one time wood to lighten up a lot of weight on the fiver. Like anything new time will test the product. I am not a full timer at this point but you never now what is in store for the future. I see more companies are opting for composite material must be a reason why. I am towing this with a 2010 Duramax Diesel 3/4 I will give a good report in a few weeks. Hope this helps. Albert.
Albert001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:44 PM   #6

Thanks alot ya'll. I am now looking at Crossroads Cruisers made by Thor Industries. My father doesn't seem to think that the Cougar High Country's will last the test of time. I have no clue, it seems if something is not built on 16" centers it's not sturdy enough according to him. I do remember reading a post on here, if you want to see how something will endure, look at a model that 5 or more years old!
Old 08-12-2010, 04:09 PM   #7

2010 Cougar 276 RLS

We bought our 276 RLS in November 2009. While I like it very much because of the openness...a large rear window and a large dinette window. There are some issues I find disappointing. The first is there are 3 holding tanks Grey, Black and Galley. The galley dump lever is up under the right side behind the rear wheel. I find it difficult to reach the lever without getting down on my hands and knees at the dump site.. The sales people don't bring this to your attention. An other is the quick connect propane feature they promote. What your not told is the quick connect is after the regulator so it will not supply adequate pressure to my Coleman BBQ. A specially designed BBQ can be purchased for a hefty price. I didn't purchase one. The front lift jacks kept blowing the 30 amp fuse every trip...I found a blog that advise not to bottom out the feet when retracting them. The service department never suggest that they just kept replacing the fuse. There is very limited closet space for winter jackets. My biggest beef is the noise from the water pump...it is very loud. Keystone declined my request for service stating it is a normal operating sound... We have been out 11 times a little over 2000 miles in nine months. I believe it's weight is right around 5 tons.
fellowes03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #8

New Cougar HE High Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by springnfall View Post
Hi,

What if anything does anyone know about the Cougar High Country 5er's?

Since my dream of owing a Montana has been dashed due to what I can pull safely with my 3/4 Dodge, am looking at alternatives.

Is this brand of 5er a good quality one? Will it hold up in time? Pros? Cons? Anyone?

Thanks for any information!!
Just picked up our New Cougar High Country 296BHS 33ft.Tow Vehicle 2010, Chevy Diesel HD, air bags, Bleistein shocks and Husky Hitch 16,00 roller. My wife and I are not full timers wanted something nice and room for the grand children. I picked it up on Wednesday towed it 125 miles it was a dream to tow compared to my 28TT, tracked great, no sway from wind or seimi's, had it once up to 70 to check with no sway, like the new front end helps with making sharper turns-mirror and lights. A few disadvantages were found the rear bumper is not as strong as other 5th wheels, my wife complained not enough drawers but lots of storage! Grandkids love the two bunks in their private room. For the 3/4 towing capabilities, price, features it was hard to pass up comparing with others in the range.
Happy RVing to all! Albert
Albert001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Since Keystone builds both - I would expect the same quality in either. As far as the test of time - only time will tell. I have seen some well built units and some real POS - even from the same factory - each unit can be different - all it takes is a missed staple or screw - some weak caulk and one unit will fall apart while its cousin won't. I believe that all TTs need a solid foundation starting with the frame and working up to the walls and ceiling. I think the best built rigs have real wall framing - either wood or alum. Plywood should be used for the subflooring - not particleboard. Cabinets should be solid wood.
As for some earlier comments about 3 tanks - this is quite common when the galley is at the opposite end of the unit from the bathroom so rather than try to run a sewer line from the galley sink to the bathroom then simply put a small holding tank for it near the galley.