Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2023, 05:55 AM   #1

Dull exterior

Hello,
I have a rebuilt 2001 Bantom hybrid. All decals have been removed. The exterior is a real dull white. Before I put new decals on, I would like to restore the exterior. With a tight budget, is there anything I can do to restore the exterior? I don't want to paint it if I don't have to and getting it wrapped is too expensive for me. I would like to do this project myself if possible. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2023, 06:17 AM   #2

Dull exterior

Assuming that the paint is solid and no cracks, I would follow the automotive process to wet sand and buff. The easiest would be to start with a compound and buff.

If you’re not satisfied with the finish, test a 2 foot square section and wet sand with 3000 grit sandpaper and than buff with a good compound. The 3000 is a final grit and anything rougher would be much harder to remove the scratches.
Old 03-08-2023, 06:32 AM   #3

Harbor Freight is your friend:
Meguire 6732 - on step compound
Drill master palm polisher - the cord is short gonna need an exten. cord
Terry cloth 6" bonnets for the polisher - buy a couple of packs they tend to load up fast, wash them out in a bucket and use them again
micro fiber cloth
elbow grease
Old 03-10-2023, 06:28 PM   #4

About 15 years ago I read about some owners of fiberglass-gelcoat RVs using floor polish, specifically Red Max Pro (later apparently renamed Zep). I washed my 2-decade-old Burro very well and then applied a couple coats of this stuff, and it shone like new. I wound up selling it a few months later so I don't know how long it stayed shiny, but I think some folks were saying theirs kept looking good for 2 or 3 years. It was very easy to apply and didn't need a bunch of buffing.

19' ETI Escape trailer
Rexlion is offline   Reply With Quote