Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2020, 10:17 PM   #1

Hybrid Trailer options?

So the wife and I are looking at getting our first trailer. We have decided on a Hybrid/expandable due to the towing weight (we are limited to 7700) and the overall floor plans. We like the idea of the entire trailer being "livable space" and the bedrooms popping out.

Right now we are eyeing the Rockwood Roo 235S...I like the floor plan as well as all the amenities. But I am open to other options. The issue seems to be finding these "hybrid" trailers. None of the dealer search site have an option for hybrids other than rvt.com. And even then, the only options it finds are the Roo's.

Who makes new hybrid trailers right now other than the Roo/Shamrock lineup. I am in california so maybe that has something to do with it.
Smoedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2020, 09:18 PM   #2

Hybrid Trailer options?

The other major mfrs are KZ, Thor Dutchmen Aerolite and Kodiak Cub, and Thor Jayco Jay Feather. Even though these have fold out tent ends, they can be just as heavy as a regular TT. So watch your weights.

Don’t rely on your tow vehicle mfrs misleading tow ratings. Without knowing anything about your tow vehicle, recommend TT mfr “dry” weight be no more than 70% of your tow rating. At the beginning of the Trailer Towing forum is a “sticky” that has towing calculators... recommend you download a few, learn the towing acronyms and weights, and play around with a few of them.

Typical 1/2 ton truck should tow no more than about 6,500-7,000 lbs “wet and loaded”. Full size SUV, about 5,000-6,000 lbs. Light duty SUV/CUV with 5,000 lb tow rating should be limited to about 3,500-4,000 lbs. TT tongue weight, TV rear axle payload, and overall TV payload rating are usually the limiting factors. Before setting your TT expectations too high, head over to the Towing forum, read a bunch of posts paying attention to vehicles like yours, then start asking questions. Lots of helpful folks there. Once you figure out the REAL amount of TT weight you can safely tow, now you can shop for your realistic TT mfrs, lengths, tank capacities, new or used, and floorplans.

Most important, don’t push the limits. Be safe for those unforeseen emergencies. Drive within your capabilities and limits. Slow down and enjoy the journey and be a Happy Camper. Camping is meant to be outdoors and be FUN.
Old 01-06-2021, 03:39 PM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
We bought a used Jay Feather 23B hybrid a couple of years ago and love it. It has two fold out bed areas and a little slide out for the couch. When we camp by ourselves were never open the rear bed but when we have family with we can open it up for more sleeping area. It's in the 4500 GVW range so it tows nicely. Might be worth a look-see. We had to look for a while before we finally came across one that suited us but it was worth the wait.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:33 PM   #4

I'm interested in finding more hybrid options as well.

I started my search for this:
Third Choice - Forest River Rockwood Roo 19

And expanded my search to include these:
Second Choice - Forest River Rockwood Roo 23WS
First Choice - Forest River Rockwood Roo 23IKSS

We're hoping to spend $18K-$21K Less is always good. Are there other brands that are possibly better for the same price or maybe less expensive?

Thanks
Av8Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer