Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2015, 04:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by plntman View Post
we just got a ar-one 15rb. we love the floor plan and plan on only using the fold out bed when our son comes home from college. Plus our wrangler 4dr can tow it. we are spending our 1st night in it tonight.
Do you have to make up the bed every night after dropping the dinette table?
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2015, 06:55 PM   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
I went and looked again and I just love the R-Pod.

Anyone have familiarity with the heartland MPG or the Sunset Park & RV? A place in Punta Gorda claims to be the only dealer of the Sunset RV, they are like and R-Pod but shorter to fit in a garage.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:15 AM   #17

how was it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by plntman View Post
we just got a ar-one 15rb. we love the floor plan and plan on only using the fold out bed when our son comes home from college. Plus our wrangler 4dr can tow it. we are spending our 1st night in it tonight.

Well? How was the maiden voyage? I love the look and style of
the those campers. Just to darn short for me.
boiler1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:52 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Getting a R-Pod you have to visualize where everything is going to be stored. And if you get caught in rainy weather is there room to spread out. Personally I could never get a rv without a slide.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
We like 4 different trailers right now and we are having a hard time deciding. We like some things in one but other things in others.

We love R-Pod's, specifically the 182-G...but it is expensive for the size with a tiny bathroom.

We also like the Starcraft Launch 17SB and the Startcraft AR-One 15RB but their tanks are tiny, even compared to the R-Pod.

I love the outdoor kitchen on the R-Pod but hate the idea of sleeping on the dining room table bed (set up and tear down each day)

We plan to camp with full hook ups. I plan to use the toilet at night but the campground facilities in the day.

I came across the Kodiak 172E but no one within 600 miles has one to look at.

Help
first, it always helps if you post what your tow vehicle is.
second, Starcraft has a way better reputation than Kodiak/Cub/Dutchmen.
i would go with Starcraft way before considering a Dutchmen hybrid.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
You will be limited to non-bear campgrounds. Many campgrounds prohibit pop-ups and hybrids due to bears.
where have you gotten this info?
many of those who have never owned a hybrid, have lots of misinformation.

we've owned popups and our hybrid, for nearly 27 years now.
the ONLY campground that i've found, that has a PERMANENT ban on soft-sided campers, is Fishing Bridge CG, in Yellowstone.
and if you "turtle" in your hybrid, you can camp there.
none of the other campgrounds in YNP has such a ban.
in fact, you can camp in tents, popups and hybrids at Bridge Bay CG, which is very close to Fishing Bridge.

of course, some campgrounds may have a temporary ban.
and some campgrounds that have such a ban, are often campgrounds that you couldn't get a hybrid or popup in.

we have camped in YNP, Glacier, Grand Tetons and Yosemite, in our hybrid and popups. never had an issue nor were we refused to camp there.
of course, in bear areas, you have to follow the park's bear policies.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:00 AM   #21

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
first, it always helps if you post what your tow vehicle is.
second, Starcraft has a way better reputation than Kodiak/Cub/Dutchmen.
i would go with Starcraft way before considering a Dutchmen hybrid.
We looked at a Starcraft but the 8 gal. Black tank scared me away.
ie2special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:14 PM   #22

we have not towed the ar-one yet. will be tomorrow with the jeep 80 miles. yes we have to make the bed every time we put the table down to convert to a bed. but its real easy we used just the cushions 1st night then tried an air mattress, egg creates, now we have egg creates and memory foam. this is the best we could come up with to help cushion the cushions.
plntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
We looked at a Starcraft but the 8 gal. Black tank scared me away.
because you're probably limited to a trailer with a GVWR of 3500lbs.

most trailers with that GVWR, will have smaller than normal holding tank amounts.
by the way, 8 gallons is not that critical for a black tank.
it's the gray tank capacity that's way more critical.

we have a 25 gallon black tank and we can camp for weeks before needing to dump the black tank.
an 8 gallon black tank should easily handle a weekend trip.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:14 PM   #24

FYI-10 day stay in new Kodiak 172E report:

Just completed our first extended trip in the new camper.
Full disclosure:
Do not intend to use the shower, do not intend to cook inside (other than micro) and do not intend to use the toilet for anything that goes "plop".

Two of us in the camper for 9 nights, 10 days and three for 3 nights.

Towed with a 2014 F-150 5.0. Decent gas mileage, felt good behind the truck.
Use a low end weight distribution kit and carefully load TV and RV to minimize porpoising (had some issues on the one nighter that we took to test the unit). Towed about 2.5 hours each way.

Love the fridge, having used coolers for more years that I care to admit, have a fridge and freezer are amazing. Also like the micro.

Added several inches of high density foam to the bed, queen size is a great step up. Why these companies can't put a decent mattress in a basic camper is beyond my comprehension.

Having the extra room was great (came from a 22 year old pop up, with a 6 foot box). It rained HARD. Torrential. We had room to play games and and read and not feel like we were going crazy. Even during the stint where there were three adults, I felt like we had enough room.

We did have a small drip during the torrential rain. It seems to come from the gutter area of the drop down ends. The dealership sent me a tube of RV silicone and I went crazy with it. It appears there are a couple spots that could have been missed during assembly. I sealed every nut, bolt and metal seam that I could find on the ends. Might not look pretty, but if it drips I'll be shocked. We had lots of rain and this small drip was only during the worst of it and a very minor amount (could be contained with a washcloth). I'll be able to live with it, if it does reoccur.

I am satisfied. Pleased with my dealer, the price I got, the service I've gotten and pleased with the unit. I leave again in a week for another 10 day trip, this time about a 6 hour drive.
boiler1959 is offline   Reply With Quote