Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2015, 07:19 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
I just can't decide Tiny TT or Hybrid

We like 4 different trailers right now and we are having a hard time deciding. We like some things in one but other things in others.

We love R-Pod's, specifically the 182-G...but it is expensive for the size with a tiny bathroom.

We also like the Starcraft Launch 17SB and the Startcraft AR-One 15RB but their tanks are tiny, even compared to the R-Pod.

I love the outdoor kitchen on the R-Pod but hate the idea of sleeping on the dining room table bed (set up and tear down each day)

We plan to camp with full hook ups. I plan to use the toilet at night but the campground facilities in the day.

I came across the Kodiak 172E but no one within 600 miles has one to look at.

Help

(we were going to full time in a Class A starting this summer but I found a great job so we are just going to camp weekends and head to the beach)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2015, 07:25 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Go with the one you can live in together when it rains for two days.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:53 AM   #3

We had a hybrid and it was pretty good. Obviously you ant one with new or very good condition canvas. The advantages of course are that space wise you get huge beds without sacrificing the rest of the interior lay-out. The only real disadvantage we found was that when camping in the winter condensation would form on the canvas sometimes to the point of dripping on us. And of course there was the setting up and tearing down that we got tired of. Much less than say a pop up, but we decided to go with a regular TT a year later.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:40 PM   #4

A friend is the admin for a forum dedicated to tiny TTs. You might go here to get some ideas. Little Guy Teardrop Trailers | be different.
She just traded her Silver Shdow teardrop for a T@B travel trailer. She travels extensively, usually from one to two months at a time.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:09 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You will be limited to non-bear campgrounds. Many campgrounds prohibit pop-ups and hybrids due to bears.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:28 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have spent well over 500 nights in the two hybrids we have owned. Camping in the Smoky's NP., Mammoth Caves NP., Shanandoh NP., the state parks of northern PA. ( many bears around) VT & NY State Parks. Never need a issue of not being allowed in. For one thing the hybrid type tt allows for a lot of room because beds don't take up trailer length.

Our 26' hybrid with a couch / kitchen slide has as much room as a 32' tt. The one we have now ( 2013 Aerolite) paid a little over $16k out the door. We do about 60 nights a year. Planning a 3 month Alaska trip next year. Bang for the dollar you can't go wrong in a hybrid. But I will say, I would not get one without a slide. Fact some now have two slides.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
A friend is the admin for a forum dedicated to tiny TTs. You might go here to get some ideas. Little Guy Teardrop Trailers | be different.
She just traded her Silver Shdow teardrop for a T@B travel trailer. She travels extensively, usually from one to two months at a time.
We really liked the T@b CS-S Max but we have a toddler, she isn't getting smaller, we need more room :(
Old 06-07-2015, 07:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
We have spent well over 500 nights in the two hybrids we have owned. Camping in the Smoky's NP., Mammoth Caves NP., Shanandoh NP., the state parks of northern PA. ( many bears around) VT & NY State Parks. Never need a issue of not being allowed in. For one thing the hybrid type tt allows for a lot of room because beds don't take up trailer length.

Our 26' hybrid with a couch / kitchen slide has as much room as a 32' tt. The one we have now ( 2013 Aerolite) paid a little over $16k out the door. We do about 60 nights a year. Planning a 3 month Alaska trip next year. Bang for the dollar you can't go wrong in a hybrid. But I will say, I would not get one without a slide. Fact some now have two slides.
I do like the slide but that puts me out of my comfortable weight zone :(
Old 06-11-2015, 06:43 AM   #9

I purchased a 2015 Kodiak 172E in Feb. We've only had the chance to spend
one night in it so far, but have 20 plus scheduled this summer.

This unit is a huge step up from the 23 year old coleman pop up that we had been using. Plenty of room for two people (even if it rains for two days).

We don't plan on using the shower, or much of the kitchen (I do all of the cooking outside).

The unit does everything I need it to do.

Someone mentioned condensation earlier in the thread. If you go with an expandable, buy some "gizmos". Gizmo.com They will prevent the condensation and assist in cooling and heating. I also like the fact that they offer some additional protection in heavy rains.

Good luck and I hope you find exactly what you want!
boiler1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:32 PM   #10

@boiler1959:

LOL, we have decided to upgrade to a hybrid from our trusty 1997 Coleman Santa Fe so our experience may mirror yours.

Right now I have narrowed things down to KODIAK 172E and STARCRAFT 16RB.

Would you mind sharing what determined your pick of the Kodiak? Both it and the Starcraft I mentioned have the same floor plan; the Kodiak has larger beds - which I'm probably gonna need for my long term satisfaction. (Wife is OK with either on that point)
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:12 PM   #11

we just got a ar-one 15rb. we love the floor plan and plan on only using the fold out bed when our son comes home from college. Plus our wrangler 4dr can tow it. we are spending our 1st night in it tonight.
plntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:54 PM   #12

I have the Kodiak 181E (slightly bigger but mostly the same as the 172E). For us, it was all about the finish. Price and features were all about the same, but we liked things like the stone(ish) counter top, the hardwood look floor and the cabinet finish. It just looked less cheap then the rest (even if it was no better quality).

BTW one of the biggest advantages for a HTT in my mind is that if you enjoyed tent or tent trailer camping, you still get a little of that feel with the tent ends with the big zip down windows.
rwbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:08 PM   #13

Biggest reason is the height. I'm about 6-04, and the Kodiak was the only unit that I did not smack my head on lights and smoke detectors. Nearly went with a Roo, but I really like the small couch in the Kodiak.

I paid the dealer to add a LP quick connect, for outside cooking. The 2015 model does not have one.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:11 PM   #14

Came close to that model, really like the dual axle. Maybe next time. Let me know how you like it!