Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2017, 04:29 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
My Best trailer MOD

What's your best trailer mod so far? Lets here from you on your best mod.

Here is mine .

I thought I would show off my biggest camper mod to date. Our all aluminum 16ft Livin Lite camper is easy to tow. The truck doesn't know it is back there. The truck sure knew the old 28 footer was back there.
Well with that smaller size comes trade offs . Storage being one of them. We can and do live with out a few of the things we packed away in the larger trailer and it really is easy to get by with out. Just like everyone else though, we needed our stuff. Portable grill, chairs, tables . You know out door STUFF. The kind ya just got's to have.
My first try was with aluminum cargo carrier and it did work for a while , until the welds on that started to give way and only the added steel part kept it on.
So I had a welder redo a few things and now it's as if I not only have a aluminum bumper,but also a solid steel bumper behind that nice looking aluminum bumper you don't see. Plus now I have a built in carry all made of steel. This new one has been road tested hard now and I can safely say it is holding up well and holds 200lbs of extra cargo just fine.
Now the Rubbermaid storage deck box you would think could fall apart. Nope it too holds up well. It is not only silicone glued together it is screwed together also. All this gives it a water tight strong build.
After all the road testing and some long trips I figured it was a keeper so I added the final touch. I painted it to match the camper.
Now I don't normally do this type of work a lot even though I can when the mood strikes me. Lazy wins out a lot with me . This little mod/ project came out working and looking good for me, so I just has to show it off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before All Aluminum.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	375.9 KB
ID:	169087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Before with unpainted.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	169088  

Click image for larger version

Name:	AFTER with new painted box.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	169089   Click image for larger version

Name:	After number 2.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	169090  

ScopesNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2017, 07:02 AM   #2

I assume it is structurally sound from your comments. Have you verified your tongue weight when the extra cargo is added? I would be interested in the "pre" and "post" weights and whether you had to shift other items in the trailer forward to adjust. Maybe not since the rear axle doesn't look that far off, just curious.

BTW, looks great!!!
Old 07-18-2017, 11:15 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranster View Post
I assume it is structurally sound from your comments. Have you verified your tongue weight when the extra cargo is added? I would be interested in the "pre" and "post" weights and whether you had to shift other items in the trailer forward to adjust. Maybe not since the rear axle doesn't look that far off, just curious.

BTW, looks great!!!
No shifting of weight at all. Not enough additional weight added to the rear to cause an issue of such. All additional storage is in the front already. Tools water lines, power line and screen room all in front storage so it kind of off sets that already added tongue weight.

In the 3rd picture you see one of our small 9 lbs dogs. She doesn't ride back there, but she might sneak in if she can. She knows the grill thingy is kept in that big box , and good things come form that grill thingy.

Thanks for the comments though. Better to look for the safety than to ignore not having it.
ScopesNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jturner9 View Post
No shifting of weight at all. Not enough additional weight added to the rear to cause an issue of such. All additional storage is in the front already. Tools water lines, power line and screen room all in front storage so it kind of off sets that already added tongue weight.

In the 3rd picture you see one of our small 9 lbs dogs. She doesn't ride back there, but she might sneak in if she can. She knows the grill thingy is kept in that big box , and good things come form that grill thingy.

Thanks for the comments though. Better to look for the safety than to ignore not having it.
Sounds great! The 200 lb. comment just got me thinking some. Looks like your rig is pretty solid and 200 lb. (if you did put that much in) wouldn't be an issue, but since it was described as a "lite" trailer, wasn't sure.

Tags
trailer