Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2015, 05:42 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Need help

Hey guys,

New to the trailer seene. We used to go camping with a tent back before we had our daughter. Now that she is older, looking to give camping a go. Now at first we were tinking one of those small pull up tents (tent trailer) because some friends of ours just got a new one and they seem happy with it.

Now after a few days looking into this, im leening for a Hybrid. Not looking for something big so i can haul it with my 2005 Canyon. What are your toughts on Hybrids... would i be better off with a small travel traler(20-22ft)
05ccsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2015, 08:27 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
You will need to know your tow capacity for your Canyon. You could easily get out of your tow capacity with a hybrid.

The hybrids are handy with full bath and kitchen, but that also makes then heavy.

We had a 2006 Fleetwood Santa fe pop-up that weighed about 1950 lbs that we thoroughly enjoyed for about two years. It was kind of like tent camping, but much better. We sold it to a family that towed it to Alaska with three grandchildren. They loved it, still have it and still stay in touch.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05ccsle View Post
Now after a few days looking into this, im leening for a Hybrid. Not looking for something big so i can haul it with my 2005 Canyon. What are your toughts on Hybrids... would i be better off with a small travel traler(20-22ft)
the 5 cylinder Canyon does not have much of a towing or payload capacity.
so, your options are limited.

look for the payload capacity sticker in the driver's door/frame.
second, look in the towing section of the Canyon's manual. should give you a towing capacity.
should be around 4000-4500lbs., WITH a factory tow package and a WDH.
if it doesn't have the factory tow package, you'll be limited to a popup.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:43 AM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
Should of stated this in my original post but my Canyon is good for 4000 pounds. Aleady have the factory Hitch on it. Just missing the electronic brake controler, witch im looking to get install this weekend
05ccsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:23 PM   #5

with only a 4000lbs. towing capacity and probably a 400lb. hitch capacity, you're going to be limited to the smallest of hybrids, those with a GVWR of around 3500lbs. these are usually 17'-18' in length.

not 20'-22' hybrids.

an example would be the Roo or Shamrock 17.
GVWR of 3854lbs. and "dry" hitch weight of 354lbs.

the same goes for any TT.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:37 AM   #6

We spent 14 years running about with a Starcraft fold down camper, because we enjoy the quasi-tent feel you get. After the kids grew up and out, we lost our fire drill approach to setup and break down. Which, became quite inconvenient and a tad moist on a chilly August Oklahoma day .

About three years ago we upgraded to a Jayco hybrid. The hybrid maintains the tent feel in the bunk ends, while giving you the comforts of an enclosed trailer. And setup is a breeze when compared to a fold down camper. The other bonus, my 20 foot hybrid turns into a 27 foot camper when it's all set up, since those beds don't really take up any space of that 20 foot box.

Really, your limiting factor here is the tow vehicle. If it were me, and I didn't want to upgrade the vehicle, I would stick with a fold down camper. You would be pushing the limits with a hybrid. Add the high profile to a breezy day, and frustration could throw a damper on the journey.
jrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:51 PM   #7

I would go with a pop up, get a zip in "tent" for the awning if you like. That's what we had for the first 10 years of camping. Next bought a 19' hybrid and it wasn't enough of a difference for us.
Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:05 PM   #8

Look at Trail Manors. We had one (3124 KS) that weighed right at 4500 lbs loaded. 24 ft when towing but 31 ft set up. All hard side, no canvas. The smaller ones are even lighter.
Btipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:47 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
My 2005 Aerolite hybrid 25' with slide, had a dry weight of 3700 our newer 26' with a larger slide ( couch & kitchen) was 4300 dry. Loaded, figure another 1000 lbs easy. If I remember the smallest 17' Aerolites were 2900 dry. That is about all your Canyon will handle. Maybe a 17' to 19' (non-slide) hybrid.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 03:01 PM   #10

Question

My Coachman clipper 14 ft. weighs 2300 lbs. empty and gets towed with a 4 cyl. Toyota (after truck upgrades)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151018_135657.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	352.4 KB
ID:	113138  
ancient11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help