Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2014, 05:47 PM   #29

Yeah, that is a lot nicer then mine, and I'm guessing a few years younger. What year is it? Still looks very similar. I like your interior a lot more then mine. Mine has a darker wood with blue theme going on.

-Wayne
rotozuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2014, 06:29 PM   #30

Old 05-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #31

Today I ordered diamond plate to put on the front and back. I'll take pics and post up when I have it done!
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:00 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraura View Post
Today I ordered diamond plate to put on the front and back. I'll take pics and post up when I have it done!
Does someone make a kit or are you making up your own? I have been thinking off adding some to the front of the trailer as the lower front seam needs some love anyhow.

-Wayne
Old 05-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
On post #24 your front roof seam just before the rounded front part. I see you put some sort of tape (4 or 5" wide). Did you put up the old caulk first? And what was that tape (Eternabond?)
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:45 PM   #34

Yes, Eternabond. Old caulking removed, then a light sanding of the vinyl roof, then a wipe with denatured alcohol per the instructions. Stuck down great. Neat stuff, but spendy.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #35

Hi Rotozuk,
Congrats on your new Bantam Flyer. I started out with a 2005 F18 Bantam Flyer Rocky Mountain Editon. Standard, it had larger tires, higher ground clearance and checker plate all around. Don't know if my model was only available in Canada or not. I loved camping in my Trailer and know that you will too. They are great units. You are doing an awesome job with you reno's. Wish you and your Family many happy trips and a lifetime of memories.
Cheers,
Ted
Old 05-14-2014, 06:22 PM   #36

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanx.

My hybrid is only 3 years old. but because of the extra cold winter this year there was a small section (15") on that front seam that had developed a split in the caulk. Since the nearest RV store is 20 miles away, I just put down a bead of regular sealant. Might stop at a RV we will be passing this weekend on the way to camping to get a tube of the Dicor lap sealant. I'll also price out what the smallest package of Eternabond costs. Any idea what the "shelf life" is on that product?

At least 2-3 times a year you need to get on your roof on your hands and knees to inspect every inch for caulking that has been comprised, including around the windows and vents. By the way great pictures
Old 05-15-2014, 12:01 PM   #37

I have been buying a lot of the supplies for this project on Amazon. Even the tail light lenses. There is a reseller there that sells smaller lengths of Eternabond. I bought 2 10 foot lengths as I simply had no need of a 50 foot roll. Heck, I'm done with the stuff and still have 4 feet left for my emergency trailer repair kit. Wrap the left overs in wax paper, and then seal it in a zip lock bag for storage. Should last a long time.

Will be no progress on the trailer this weekend. Off camping in a tent. Would have liked to have taken the trailer, but bought the reservations long before buying it, and the camp ground was sold out long ago. Will have a blast, just not as comfortable.

-Wayne
Old 05-15-2014, 02:41 PM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Will be no progress on the trailer this weekend. Off camping in a tent
I pitty you

I'll have to take a look on Amazon. Would for sure like to have some on hand for a planned trip to Alaska in 16' or 17'. I'm stopping at a RV store Friday and I'll see how it compares in price. I have a feeling they will only sell the 50' rolls.

We have weekend plans too....just hope it stops raining here in Northern Ohio...
Old 05-17-2014, 09:03 AM   #39

Took some inside pics for you this morning. We are currently camped at my favorite place: the middle of a cow pasture!

It's race weekend, so no cows at the moment though...

The microwave was missing when I bought it, so I removed the surround, mounted my old microwave I brought over from my popup, and put a cabinet bar in to keep the door shut during travel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3535251843.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	63110   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1047756086.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	63111  

Name:	image-651647471.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	487.4 KB
ID:	63112   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1151159589.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	423.8 KB
ID:	63113  

Name:	image-2980081788.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	436.1 KB
ID:	63115  
Old 06-04-2014, 08:00 PM   #40

Back it, sorry for the lack of updates. Been slammed at work.

So the TV antenna was not long for this world with UV damage like this cable:

So I removed the antenna, scrapped all the old sealant off and put on a fresh coat of self leveling.

And installed another vent and sealed all of them and the other do-dads on the roof that needed sealing.

Antenna mount with antenna removed and old sealant cleaned off:

And sealed:

This is what it looks like after a little while in the sun and self levels:

Then I tackled the awning. This was a bit ugly.

And it is also warn out from all the sun exposure, but it will be OK for a while.

I spent a little time cleaning it, but not much. It will need to be replaced at some point.

That is about it. My wife and I made dinner in the camper and spent the night in it later that same day. We were way out in our driveway. LOL Good to do a simple test camp while it is easy to grab things that are needed. The dogs seemed to like the sleeping quarters a lot. LOL

I think we will get a memory foam or similar mattress pad for a little softer feel. That was about it. Everything else went well. Still flushing bleach water out of the system, I think I over did it with the bleach. LOL

-Wayne
Old 06-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #41

When I get up on my roof I will be asking you all kinds of questions!!

Only thing I've done lately was to install an external valve for the fresh water drain so I don't have to get into the dinette to empty the fresh tank. Simple but saves so much hassle!
Old 07-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #42

Finally got around to doing the diamond plate. I ended up going with a peel and stick cosmetic version rather than actual functional diamond plate. The curve of the front end had me convinced that I'd never be able to get the aluminum to bend and stay put.

The reason I wanted to do this fix was becuase the previous owners seem to have jacknifed their truck into the right front corner. It had been patched, but I could tell, and didn't like the look of the patch, so I covered it up with the diamond plate peel and stick.

I found this stuff somewhat difficult to work with. It is super sticky, but is also very thin, so if there is a breeze it wants to stick to itself. I wanted to cover the entire front in 2 pieces, with a seam in the middle. That ended up being harder than I thought with the stuff catching the breeze. I ended up doing it in 3 pieces, one large square piece on each side, and one thin strip over the LP surround.

It was much harder than I expected to lay it down smooth with no air bubbles. I sanded and smoothed the patched area before applying the peel and stick, but it still caused creasing in the diamondplate stickon. After doing and redoing it several times, I just went with it. I may end up redoing it.

I bought enough to do the front and rear, but after doing the front, I don't think I'll do the rear. This gives me enough spare material to do the front again if I can't stand the couple of air bubbles and creases I see.

This would have been easier with two people. One to keep the stuff from sticking to itself and another to smooth it on and work the air bubbles out.

Oh, also, it scratches. I originally used a plastic spatula to smoth out air bubbles, but it was leaving scratches, so I had to change to a soft towel and hand pressure.

In summary, it looks OK for now, not as good as I'd hoped. I don't have super high hopes for the longevity and durability of this, but I hope I'm proven wrong.

Pics coming momentarily from my phone!
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote