Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2019, 06:41 PM   #1

Overwhelmed

We are looking at lightweight TT, pulling with a 2017 Tundra 5.7 tow package. We’ve looked at Sunset Trail, Freedom Express Select and Connect. Looking for 29-30 ft w/rear kitchen or rear LR with easy chairs, couch and a dinette area. We are older and may use the trailer for long trips after retirement. Carry a grandchild with us at times. Really wanting to stay below $28,000.00. Grand Design is out of the question. Thoughts?
Mark_Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2019, 07:47 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First, welcome to irv2! My own opinion is steer clear of anything made by Thor or Forest River...bad reputations for each. Be careful about quality in trailers- there's a lot of junk out there. Choose a floor plan that's best for you (sounds like you have already). Rear kitchens are a good choice- my daughter has an '06 Springdale 29 rks...bought used a few years ago for around 11k. Still no problems with it. It has the kitchen across the whole rear- not just a corner the way many are built. It also has 2 small easy chairs in the living area with large windows at the rear and across from them. The only down fall in my opinion is the small bathroom- but you don't spend much time in there...hopefully. Good luck and have fun- there's a rig waiting for you out there.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:15 AM   #3

Thank you for your reply. We have actually had a difficult time finding the LR arrangement that we like. We have tried to stay with dealers within 50 miles of us, but we may need to branch out a little further. I read on another forum where people had sway in 30+ foot trailers with RK, even when using sway bars. We will be towing with a Tundra 5.7, full 4 door w/short bed. It has the trailer tow package on it. We have always heard you should keep tongue weight down, but people were commenting on the post that there was not enough tongue weight with the kitchen being at the rear. I've never had a rear kitchen. Is this really a viable concern?
Old 05-08-2019, 08:31 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No, sway is no worse with an rk. We sometimes tow hers with our Expedition (1/2 ton) with no issues. It's a 30 footer and we have a short wheelbase like your Tundra. A good weight distributing hitch that's properly set up will be fine. If you have concerns about hitch weight you can buy an inexpensive scale that will help you out there. You can also have your fully loaded trailer weighed so you know the whole story. I've never bothered with either one of these things but I watch tire pressures and keep things balanced inside.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Sandy View Post
Thank you for your reply. We have actually had a difficult time finding the LR arrangement that we like. We have tried to stay with dealers within 50 miles of us, but we may need to branch out a little further. I read on another forum where people had sway in 30+ foot trailers with RK, even when using sway bars. We will be towing with a Tundra 5.7, full 4 door w/short bed. It has the trailer tow package on it. We have always heard you should keep tongue weight down, but people were commenting on the post that there was not enough tongue weight with the kitchen being at the rear. I've never had a rear kitchen. Is this really a viable concern?
It can be an issue. With the kitchen in the rear, a lot of the storage is also in the rear. Pack enough stuff back there, and it will reduce the tongue weight.

Tongue weight should be 13% to 15% of your loaded trailer weight for best stability.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:31 AM   #6

Thank you both for the input.