Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2019, 03:20 PM   #1

Popup Qizmos

Has anyone used these on their hybrid beds to keep them cooler? (like space blankets)
Have a Shamrock 23IKSS and haven't even gotten to take it out yet, but I remember, as a kid having the dew drip on you when waking up, from the canvas over the beds onour pop up.
Anyone use these? or is the material different now with the hybrids?
pmaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2019, 02:01 PM   #2

I got them for my three bunk hybrid. Had to upgrade the clips with the 47 cent ones from home Depot. But they do make a big difference. If I ever need them again I will definitely make my own though. I was expecting more to then for that price.
DHener84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:05 PM   #3

On a 40 degree rainy night before the gizmos, it would literally rain condensation on our heads. Still gets wet but seems to drip alot less cause now the canvas is prob a out 10 degrees warmer
Old 06-05-2019, 06:57 AM   #4

I have seen these and wondered if they might perform better with a few noodles slid under them to create an air space. Just thinking is all.
Spoonsize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonsize View Post
I have seen these and wondered if they might perform better with a few noodles slid under them to create an air space. Just thinking is all.
I have thought so for summer, but for cold and condensation I would leave them on the canvas
Old 06-05-2019, 08:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaen View Post
Has anyone used these on their hybrid beds to keep them cooler? (like space blankets)
Have a Shamrock 23IKSS and haven't even gotten to take it out yet, but I remember, as a kid having the dew drip on you when waking up, from the canvas over the beds onour pop up.
I ordered the "high wind set" for a popup that we used at the beach a few years ago. The AC definitely kept it cooler in the summer when they were installed. I would recommend them.
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:14 PM   #7

PopupGizmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaen View Post

My husband bought the Gizmos for our new Rockwood Roo 183. First time we tried to use them, I discovered a slight problem - my niece and I aren't tall enough standing on stools to attach the clips high enough to totally cover the canvas. Managed to get the front bunk 3/4 covered. We did have a ladder with us, but only my husband can climb a ladder easily and he was busy with other setup details. Didn't even try to use the Gizmos on the other 2 bunks as they were in the shade.

I'd like to figure out a way to put a bendable rod in the upper end which us "girls" could push up closer to the the top of the frame and cover all of the canvas.
horsecollect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:54 AM   #8

Thanks, hadn't thought of that either.. We are both short! It's even hard for me to lower and push the beds up.. Thanks for the info. let me know if you have found a way!
Old 11-17-2019, 02:52 PM   #9

Pop Up Gizmo modifications

I have the high wind pop up gizmos with the straps. I did make some modifications to the installation. I used a Velcro strip all the way across the top. I also used four screw tightened tarp clips to attach the gizmo cover to the seam where the side panel meets the top panel. This worked very well. The tarp clips hold tight and keep the gizmo from sliding down at all and the Velcro keeps it attached under the gutter so no rain gets under it at all. I leave it attached at all times and just throw the bungee cords on top and fold it up right in place with the bunks. I have used them in rain and down to 40degrees and had no condensation at all on the bunk top. I also bought a roll of the same foil insulation material from Home Depot and cut it to fit all three windows of each bunk. I simply unzip the window and place them next to the screen and rezip it closed. I store them under the mattress when not in use. This setup works great in colder weather.
Wolfie770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:02 AM   #10

Thanks for the info... if was very helpful! It says not to leave them on all the time. But do you? We live in Cali. and it is stored outside. I left the PUGS on when we stored it. Will this cause a problem do you think?
Old 12-02-2019, 04:24 AM   #11

I wouldn't leave them on unless I am using the trailer, but i also wouldn't store the trailer with the bunks out. Wouldnt want to sun and of possible debris on the canvas.