RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-20-2020, 12:31 PM   #1

Question Quality RV's Anyone?

Hubby and I just sold our Coachmen FE 22DSX hybrid. We found it to be of good quality and sold it for health reasons (bought it to camp with another couple, he has health issues) and they won't be camping too much anymore. Anyhow, so what's next? I have heard so many horror stories regarding Forest River and Thor products, they dominate the market. We did look at a Lance but uhmmm, it's a tad on the high side price wise. What is a good brand for a smaller towable (up to 28 feet max), u-shaped dinette to play cards and games, no bunks, maybe a murphy bed?

Does anyone have an opinion for us please? Our budget is $30k max, less would be better. We are not afraid to buy a year or two old, actually we would prefer that.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

KScobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2020, 12:42 PM   #2

Anything without a Lippert frame. Search Lippert frame issues here on IRV2 and run away from anything using them.

2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:25 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
My daughter is looking for a TT in the 4000-4200 pound range. Any recommendations in that size range. She was thinking Airstream until she checked prices.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:39 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My son has a Coachmen Apex Nano that is very light, around 4000 lbs. A standout feature is that Coachmen builds them with Azdel panels instead of the standard luan plywood, so the inevitable leaks are, theoretically, less destructive. If I were shopping for myself, I would be looking at http://www.aluminumtrailer.com and customizing to my own (admittedly spartan) desires.

I absolutely love the looks and craftsmanship in classic Airstreams, but a simple search for “Airstream leak repair” returns enough horror stories for me to get past the nostalgia and into something made with modern materials and techniques.
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:46 PM   #5

Quality RV's Anyone?

What is the weight range?

Quality tends to heavy and/or expensive. Good, cheap, light: pick two

Nash would be the best only moderately heavy unit I could think of. The smaller ORVs? They have a ~20’ unit with a huge rear dinette and no slide.

An egg perhaps? Casita, Scamp, or Escape. Dang near indestructible.

What about a teardrop? T@b. Some of those are built really well.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:08 PM   #6

Quality Travel Trailer Brands

Winter of 2018 I joined the Dutchmen Owners forum and expressed my disappointment with my new Dutchmen Kodiak Cub. My opinion of Dutchmen travel trailers has not improved since then. Total cost of ownership has not been lower than much higher priced trailers.
In 2019 I found a thread on iRV2.com started by a new member who wanted advice on what to buy for his first travel trailer. What followed was a compilation of 1000’s of camper hours of experience and a list of brands from owners with firsthand experience. Needless to say Dutchmen and many other Thor companies were specifically not recommended. Their only advantage is low purchase price. Jayco is now a Thor company and the last 4? model years are also specifically not recommended. A short list of recommended brands and brief comments follow. I wish I had this information before buying.
Artic Fox
Difficult to find east of the Mississippi
$25k to $50k thermal pane windows
Hamersville Ohio (Cincinnati)
Outdoor RV
Difficult to find east of the Mississippi , $25k to $50k
Thermal pane windows, dealer in Denver.
Cooler in sun, Excellent support
Lance are $10-$25k more than the same length ORV Creekside or Timber Ridge.
2018 28'8" Timber Ridge was $34,700
Air Stream
Recent corrosion problem
Grand Design
Insulated well
Winnebago
Was Sunnybrook
Grand Design
One bad review
Elite Suites
Lance
Newell
TIFFIN
Excellent service
Nash
Oliver Travel Trailers
A company with a different business model.
New TT's are only available from the factory, no dealers. They have none in stock. They are only available by ordering. There are very few floor plans and sizes. Only the best components are used.

Easier to tow:
Air Stream, Oliver, and Escape are streamlined shaped trailers of high quality that are true cold and hot weather campers. They are easier to tow. They are heavier than many light weights and cost a lot. However, you get a lot more.
There are others that have curved leading and trailing roof edges. These also tow a little easier (see Forest River Rpod as an example). I have no first hand reviews of most other trailers.
I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!

Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality, rvs