Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2019, 04:54 AM   #1

Question about cooler weather in a hybrid/expandable.

I have a relatively new bullet crossfire 3 bunk travel trailer. When I first used it last season I brought it back and they recapped the front and rear bunks because of leaks where the canvas meets the fiberglass. I just finished my first trip of the year (second with this camper) and at the beginning and end of the week there was rain and it was just about 40 degrees (the rest of the week was fine) both rainy nights the top of the canvas would be covered in water, enough to where if slowly drips on us.

My wife is convinced the canvas is leaking, but I'm pretty sure it is just condensation. It seems to cover the whole top piece of canvas and even continued to drip last night for long after the rain stopped. Is this normal for canvas In Cold wet weather?

I bought the pop up gizmos which in the future should help keep the canvas from getting that cool, but since these campgrounds have almost no trees and the clamps that the gizmos camp with sucked I couldn't use them, they kept blowing off. Is there anything else I can do to help prevent this? I really want this trailer to be 3 season not just summer use.
DHener84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2019, 05:56 AM   #2

In my time with a hybrid. I fought this Everytime. There are other methods to help. Some will chime in with those methods. I unfortunately had this happen too many times and sold it! I love in Louisiana and the humidity mixed with the AC was a "wet" combination. That constant drip on your forehead was enough for us to sell it!! I also had a tent that attached to the outside drip rail for a screen room. The tent did the same thing! So, long story but the verdict is. There are remedies, so start googling!
KyleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 02:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHener84 View Post
I bought the pop up gizmos which in the future should help keep the canvas from getting that cool, but since these campgrounds have almost no trees and the clamps that the gizmos camp with sucked I couldn't use them, they kept blowing off. Is there anything else I can do to help prevent this? I really want this trailer to be 3 season not just summer use.

I bought the gizmos for the high wind camping,( comes with the gizmos bungee straps) The gizmos tarp does seem to stay on better. This said I still have to use 1 set of clamps where the gizmos tarp meets the front of the trailer as the angle is to steep for the gizmos tarp. It slides down if I use the end bungee strap.

see a thread I created on this https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/29830436.cfm

you might have to re-buy them for the high wind camping... not terribly expensive

Good luck
Mike
Old 06-05-2019, 10:34 PM   #4

I went river canoeing in Utah with a borrowed tent. Ultra light weight tube tent. It was dripping wet inside from my breath. Just light morning dew outside. I see now the value of a rain fly and a little ventilation.
Pappion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:02 PM   #5

it is condensation, not leaking, and I too have the same problem. We are short people and not sure we could get the popup gizmos all the way to the top. Anyone else have this problem and what did you do?
pmaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:44 AM   #6

Ladder. Before you open the bunk attach to the rain guard with a ladder. Then open bunk and put the rest of the clamps on
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaen View Post
it is condensation, not leaking, and I too have the same problem. We are short people and not sure we could get the popup gizmos all the way to the top. Anyone else have this problem and what did you do?
DHener84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 02:47 PM   #7

Pop Up Gizmo modifications

I have the high wind pop up gizmos with the straps. I did make some modifications to the installation. I used a Velcro strip all the way across the top. I also used four screw tightened tarp clips to attach the gizmo cover to the seam where the side panel meets the top panel. This worked very well. The tarp clips hold tight and keep the gizmo from sliding down at all and the Velcro keeps it attached under the gutter so no rain gets under it at all. I leave it attached at all times and just throw the bungee cords on top and fold it up right in place with the bunks. I have used them in rain and down to 40degrees and had no condensation at all on the bunk top. I also bought a roll of the same foil insulation material from Home Depot and cut it to fit all three windows of each bunk. I simply unzip the window and place them next to the screen and rezip it closed. I store them under the mattress when not in use. This setup works great in colder weather.
Wolfie770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:26 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We had several pop ups and a hybrid with the canvas and vinyl roof. We camped down into the 20 degrees a number of times. The best solution we found was using a large piece of fleece fabric to line the inside of the roof. We fastened it loosely over the u shaped roof support and some Velcro or other fasteners at the other end. Condensation still formed between the layers on the underside of the roof but the fleece absorbed it before it dripped. It also reduces the amount of condensation since lest warm air circulated against roof. Usually we had a2 to 4 inch gap between the layers. It usually dried out doing the day if sunny. Some times we Had to take it out and hang it up to dry.
This seems pretty clumsy but actually work very well in the three campers we had.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote