Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-09-2021, 11:18 PM   #1

Questions About Hybrids

I started my search for this:
(Third Choice) Forest River Rockwood Roo 19

And expanded my search to include these:
(Second Choice) Forest River Rockwood Roo 23WS
(First Choice) Forest River Rockwood Roo 23IKSS

We're hoping to spend $18K-$21K - Less is always good. Are there other brands that are possibly better for the same price or maybe less expensive?

When your new to RVing its difficult enough deciding MH vs TT vs 5th now add a franken hybrid trailer to the mix I'm not even sure how to evaluate all of this.

These "expandable's" (sounds like something from Mission Impossible) are located far apart so we'll have to evaluate them remotely and probably make the purchase decision before heading out to view/purchase it. Here are some of my concerns:
  1. How safe are these canvas pop-outs(?)

How private are they? I'm guessing its a tent so not very private. I'm sure you can hear everything going on in the campground and they can hear everything going on in the tent.

How secure are they? I carry a lot of camera and computer equipment with me when the pop-outs are closed are they at least as "secure" as a normal trailer. This leads to questions about RV security in general.

Can you sleep in these when its raining?

How do you keep it cool/warm? Can you insulate the Pop-outs?

When you arrive at a camp are these more or less difficult to setup?

In a more normal economy do hybrids hold their value and better or worse than typical trailers?
It seems to me with possibly a little weight savings you gain about 10' of space that translates to quite a bit more common area living space.

As far as evaluating hybrids for purchase "remotely," what kind of things should I be looking at (what kind of pictures should I ask for, and what questions should I be asking?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Av8Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2021, 05:38 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
The only thing I can say about tent trailers is that they are hot in hot weather, and cold in cold weather.

Can't do much about hot, but I know of a few people that use Buddy Heaters for the cold weather.

As far as security, just don't go flashing expensive equipment around in suspect areas. Security in campgrounds is usually very good, with others respecting your property. Called mutual respect. It's just the ones hiking through that might be a little questionable.

Good luck in your search.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:12 PM   #3

We had one before getting the c-class.
Safety, security. A little better than a tent, but not much. They do have a lock on the door, but if someone wanted in, all they would have to do is pop the canvas off the bed ends. Expensive, easily portable camera, computers etc. I would lock in your tow vehicle, especially when not at the campsite. Most campers are honest, but why tempt fate. The biggest thefts that I have personally heard of are from picnic coolers left out. No beer (adult beverages) or food in the morning.
Comfort, your AC or furnace will make it a little more comfortable. There are 'gismos' you can buy or make to cover the bunk ends. They are made from reflective bubble foil insulation.
Setup take down, obviously a little more work than a full travel trailer. After leveling, it took me maybe 5 minutes to open the bunks. Each manufacturer may use a slightly different system. Takedown, a little more work, to tuck everything back in place for travel. Rain will make things a little more work.
Room, definitely more room than a travel trailer with the same size box, the sleeping areas are outside. Ours was 19' old TravelStar 19 CK. For a quick overnight stop, we would sleep on the folded down dinette.
Better than a tent, or pop-up, you do have better RV appliances and a bathroom, but below a travel trailer with a permanent bed.

Ken
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
The only thing I can say about tent trailers is that they are hot in hot weather, and cold in cold weather.

Can't do much about hot, but I know of a few people that use Buddy Heaters for the cold weather.

Good luck in your search.
How about insulation, I'm guessing that's what the Gizmo's are that Ken mentioned? Where do you get them? Is there a "Forest River" online catalog where we can find replacement or spare parts for a specific model of ROO?

Is the heater gas and electric? I realize that we can't run the AC when plugged into the house via an extension cord, but what about everything else? Is there a manual that shows the AMP draw of the various appliances, heater, refrigerator, water heater, TV etc.?
Old 01-12-2021, 06:28 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8Chuck View Post
How about insulation, I'm guessing that's what the Gizmo's are that Ken mentioned? Where do you get them? Is there a "Forest River" online catalog where we can find replacement or spare parts for a specific model of ROO?

Is the heater gas and electric? I realize that we can't run the AC when plugged into the house via an extension cord, but what about everything else? Is there a manual that shows the AMP draw of the various appliances, heater, refrigerator, water heater, TV etc.?
Of course you can insulate anything. I just have never seen it done.

The Buddy Heaters don't use electricity, just the 1 pound bottles or you can get a hose and use 20 pound tanks. Just be sure to have some fresh air coming into the rig, and don't use it while sleeping, even if they are advertised as safe for indoor use.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:01 AM   #6

If you plan on camping in areas with bears, I would think a travel trailer would be a better option. There are places that only allow hard-sided campers due to bears.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Of course you can insulate anything. I just have never seen it done.

The Buddy Heaters don't use electricity, just the 1 pound bottles or you can get a hose and use 20 pound tanks. Just be sure to have some fresh air coming into the rig, and don't use it while sleeping, even if they are advertised as safe for indoor use.
Until a week ago I'd never seen a hybrid..

Anyway I came across this article:
https://www.trailerlife.com/rv-gear/...nk-end-covers/
Old 03-25-2021, 01:48 PM   #8

We have a Forest River Shamrock, 23Ikss and LOVE IT!! Roo's and Shamrocks are the same thing, just different graphics on the outside. Inside is identical. You should be able to get a used for that price. Hubby has no problem towing it, has tons of room for the two of us, plus two big dogs. Plus grandkids when they go. We have gotten the set up down to about 10-15 minutes. It has everything we need and more. The storage is fantastic. Ask any questions you want! We have camped in the snow and the heat. We keep the beds pulled in when it is really cold and just sleep on the couch and the banquet. Have also done that in the rain. Also use PUGS... we leave them on all the time. Has not hurt the canvas yet in three years.
pmaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 03:11 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
We also have a Forest River Shamrock 23IKSS and also LOVE it. We bought it last summer used, a 2018 for $17,000. It was only used once...As the beds are outside the interior is super roomy with stove and fridge in a slideout and sofa/dinette slideout on the other side. it also has a center island. There is tons of storage. We also have heated mattresses and used them last weekend in 20 degree weather and was super warm. We like having fresh air and not the feeling of sleeping in a tin can. We traded our towable self-contained for the hybrid and never looked back. The only thing we do miss was the outside kitchen that our previous towable had, but other than that we LOVE our hybrid. We do have reflective covers for the canvas beds that amazingly reduces the heat in the summer.
Snoopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:22 PM   #10

if you want a manual you will have to print it off the Forest River site. Everything you need could be replaced by your dealer, or if you don't have one... I am not sure. There must be a site somewhere that all the doityourselfer's find stuff on. Pugs can be bought in a place in Texas, just google popupgizmo's. We have the high wind kind. Much easier to deal with, since they have bungies that go around the beds. No clips. We did not use the clips they sent.. we found heavy duty Velcro and put a strip up top under the drain spout. Attached another strip to the pug and stuck them together. Have not come off! Running the air off the cord to the house isn't ideal.
pmaen is offline   Reply With Quote