Originally Posted by 450Donn
Plastic scraper seems to be the best. Have your tried lacquer thinner?
Thanks, I did try acetone (similar), but not Lacquer thinner specifically. I'll look for some.
Plastic scrapers I've tried were too pliable to help. Somewhere else, I saw someone used a piece of PVC pipe cut at an angle. I cut a 6" piece of 1/2" PVC pipe at a 30° angle and it worked much better than anything else I've tried, but only after softening the residue into a sort of sticky goo with mineral spirits. Working with the pipe, I was able to remove the bulk of the foam tape material.
I wetted the remaining adhesive again with mineral spirits and scrubbed with a "Dobie" kitchen scrubber. That actually made pretty work fo the last of the residue(it did not help when there was the thicker foam residue still attached).
Cleaning off the old stuff was the worst of the job. The new seal went on very quickly. I started at the bottom of one side, went up, around the top and down the other side, only removing ~6-12" of the tape backing at a time. Go slow at the round corners, a little bit at a time. The new seal's adhesive has a very strong tack and is difficult to move it once attached.
Two more bunks to do. If I pick up any more tips, I'll update the post.