Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2019, 09:41 AM   #1

Traveling with big dogs

Hello, just bought a Flaggstaff Shamrock. Take ownership sometime at end of March, early April. We ordered it. Questions, we have two labs that will be going with us. How does everyone carry food for their dogs? How much. We are planning on being gone for at least three to four weeks on longer trips. How do people with dogs store the food and where? do you take half and then stop and buy more? Just looking for options. Also, I know the dogs can't be loose in the park, do most people stake them out? I would like to avoid pitfalls ahead of time.. any aspect of traveling with large dogs would help!!
thanks from a newbie!
pmaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2019, 09:50 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If you know people with cats get a couple of the cat litter bins. The lids attach down tight. Will store these under bed or in closet. My wife keeps a smaller supply to feed from, uses the larger plastic containers with a screw on lid.

We use X-pens to keep the dogs corralled. My wife does dog shows and they don't allow tie outs. In the past I've used a bike rake to carry them. In the Class C I had a receiver hitch mounted in the front and put the X-pens there. Now we have a slide in the basement for the smaller ones and a rack on the back for the larger.

These are both for the dogs protection and to keep people or other dogs away from ours.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:48 AM   #3

We buy small bag ...enough for a weeks worth then buy some more

Grocery stores/big box stores are EVERYWHERE and you can pick up supplies most any day of the week

AS for the dogs.......ALL CGs have Pet Rules.
#1...MUST be on leash and under your CONTROL whenever outside
#2...Pick up their poop WHEN they poop

Don't make camping complicated. GO---ENJOY!
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:39 AM   #4

Thanks! never hurts to be reminded to pick up!!
Old 03-20-2019, 09:55 PM   #5

I am not extremely experienced and the attitude of your dogs(do they try to escape) makes all the difference. I bought a couple of the dog pens to link together and make a large area around the RV (remember to block off under the RV also) and am hoping to make a rig to tie them up under the chassis (along with a ladder) so they don't get burried and don't take up space if I don't bring the pup. My dog could get herself tangled around a butterfly if I stake her out.so I had to get away from the stake and cable
DHener84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:09 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Most of the RV parks I've been in have rules that prohibit unattended pets. If the dogs are outside, you're outside. No ongoing barking. Must be constantly under control with a leash. Most parks I've been in have designated pet areas, some have an enclosed off leash area that is usually very small, like a very small yard.

Also, most cities I've been to have an off leash dog park, and some of them are *amazing*! There's a huge park East of Seattle called Maryhill. Some nice ones in Spokane. Bend and Redmond Oregon have nice places. Tucson. Yuma. Vancouver WA. Richland WA. The one here in Pendleton where I'm working right now is a bit of a walk but it's covered in lush grass and right nest to the river.

I've really enjoyed travelling with my dog. I just buy one bag of food at a time and then reorder from Chewy.com when I need more. It hasn't been a problem.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:41 PM   #7

As mentioned above, you’ll find different campgrounds have different rules. Some places, the dogs can outside with you inside; others that’s not allowed. Some parks have breed restrictions (usually insurance mandated).

[Mod Edit]
Old 03-24-2019, 11:59 PM   #8

Grand Design Owners Club
3 Good size dogs

My husband and I travel with a 70lb Border Collie (yes he is a Mutant) 75% BC 25% Aussie, Mom 60lbs 1/2 BC and 1/2 Aussie, and our little rescue 45lbs and full blooded Red Merle Aussie, all with super awesome personalities want to lick everyone to death lol. we keep them on leads far enough apart so they can sit togeather on grass but not tangle. Outside when we are, inside when we are walking where we walk, and eat where we eat only dog friendly places . We take their paperwork everywhere we take them on our phone. We carry a bin of food with us it's air tight and goes in the bottom storage, when parked it goes just under the trailer out of sight a little. It works for us.This is them with our old trailer, you can see the food bin under the trailer by the door.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181019_233141991_iOS.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	620.8 KB
ID:	239372
NanaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:22 PM   #9

We camped with golden retriever. Created a “dog run” with long cable tightened between two trees about 25-30 apart. The dog had a cable leash about 8 ft long. So there was plenty of space and room to roam at will. Every rew hours I had to detangle her leash at one of the trees. For some reason they never could figure out to go back the other way around a tree when their “freedom” ran out!
Old 04-02-2019, 10:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Flyer View Post
We camped with golden retriever. Created a “dog run” with long cable tightened between two trees about 25-30 apart. The dog had a cable leash about 8 ft long. So there was plenty of space and room to roam at will. Every rew hours I had to detangle her leash at one of the trees. For some reason they never could figure out to go back the other way around a tree when their “freedom” ran out!
I see us traveling from spot to spot every couple of days, at least for a year or two, until we find a spot that we like.., so.. do I stake them out,( have found a retractable stake out that needs to be pounded in, or use the twist kind of ground stake with a cable?) does anyone have problems pounding stakes in the ground? I know here in northern Cali, it's like trying to drive them into cement in the summer. I know these things sound trivial but any time I can get rid of a problem before it's a problem.. would help.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:23 PM   #11

Grand Design Owners Club
stakes

I would make sure that every site you go to make sure it is okay to stake that is why in the picture my dogs are attached to other things they wouldn't let us stake their leads. Most don't care thank goodness but there is always that one lol
NanaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:27 AM   #12

My neighbor travels with his Great Dane and has no problems.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:36 PM   #13

Never had a stake that our dog couldn’t eventually work loose. Big dogs are strong.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:54 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Flyer View Post
Never had a stake that our dog couldn’t eventually work loose. Big dogs are strong.
Yup. There was a Newfie dragging a picnic table across the RV Park earlier this afternoon. The dog's human looked frustrated, like "why can't the dog just stay over there?", so he'd come outside his RV every couple minutes and drag the table back, then disappear, and the dog would drag the table twenty get *again*, the owner would move it back, over and over.

The definition of insanity for some folks I guess. I love dogs. People can do really stupid things though, hoping that this time it'll seem smart.

You know your dog(s), right? You should. You know what they're capable of, and if they will figure things out fast and do exactly what you want, or if they'll do exactly what you should have expected them to do. Like drag the picnic table thirty feet or so over and over and over and over again.

Seriously, most of the time, 49% of this is following the rules, and 50% is knowing what to expect from your pets. That leftover 1% or more can't ever go away, but please do better than some of these foolish pet owners out here and you'll be fine. Really.

Tags
dogs, travel