Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2022, 03:20 PM   #1

Used hybrid camper?

Hi folks, we’ve been pop up campers since 1982; before that we had an 18’ converted Krispy Kreme doughnut camper with 3-way refrigerator, gas stove, running water and “all the trimmings”.
We are now searching for a used hybrid camper suitable for 3 adults and a dog. Looking here for user experiences repairing what goes wrong with these. We’ve seen a few with spongy floors and torn canvas attachments
If you have advice we’ll happily listen.
Dirtmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2022, 03:25 PM   #2

Welcome aboard!!!
Old 06-01-2022, 05:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmaster View Post
Looking here for user experiences repairing what goes wrong with these. We’ve seen a few with spongy floors and torn canvas attachments
If you have advice we’ll happily listen.
Welcome to the forum!

I sold my 2011 Jayco X20E hybrid 2 months ago, what I can tell you in the 11 yrs I owned it is more toward maintaining than repairing.

Bunk ends tend to do more flexing and are prone to leaks or delamination, carefully inspect the buck end seals. I would have to re-seal/silicone caulk the bunk ends at least once per year. Roof: no differant than most any other rv roof, inspect at least 2X per year. Dicor self leveling sealant worked well with my roof. I would wash my bunk end canvas after every trip, most folks don't.

If you come across any floor soft spots best to walk away IMO

Mike
Old 09-29-2023, 06:49 PM   #4

Used hybrid camper?

Having owned 2 Rockwood Roos (both bought new), I can let you know some of what my husband did as maintenance and/or repair. First thing was to label all the switches so we wouldn't turn off something that was supposed to be on. He kept a tool kit, a flashlight and replacement fuses in a cabinet. He glued a channel above each fold-out bunk to cut down on rain flowing over the tenting. Also added heavy plastic spouts to the corner rain gutters on the roof to make water drop down rather than run down the sides. He crawled under the camper to caulk all possible bug/rodent entry points. The toilet was replaced with a taller one making it easier for me to get up. There's more, but I can't get to the list of things he has either replaced or repaired.
horsecollect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 08:02 AM   #5

We are happy with our 147X. Tent ends are the only added maintenance item over an enclosed trailer. Water damage would be the thing I would walk away from with a used unit. As noted, sealing around these is the weak link.

The internals are pretty standard in all the trailers. We picked ours for the nice sized refrigerator. Over a pop-up, its nice having a working bathroom and kitchen as were rolling down the road for a quick stop.

Tags
introduction, camper