Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2022, 10:51 AM   #1

We did that thing we told ourselves we wouldn't

Like many others before us, we had been looking at used trailers to purchase. We went into it thinking we are okay with fixing things here and there but watched out for the major issues we have read about online. We found a private party selling a 2010 Shamrock 183 and the inside looked like someone had bought it, stored it, then sold it later. I hooked up to the power and did a quick check that things came on but then did the dumb thing of letting emotion take control and overlooked some other things. There was no leaking on the roof, no signs of water damage, and the axles weren't making weird sounds. I didn't hook it up to 30A and when I got it to storage, I found a soft spot on the floor that I had missed. There wasn't any moisture and it had just rained hard the day before so that was a small relief. We're already committed to replacing the subfloor as it's something we knew would be likely anyway in the refurb we wanted to do and are finding little things we want to replace first so any slapping on the wrist for doing that thing isn't really necessary. My wrist is already self-inflicted bruising.

Now comes the fun part; finding out what other things we need to do and learning where to get everything that we will eventually need to get. Right now on the list is hooking it up to 30A to find out what else may not work first before we can call it a complete list.

- replace the cover for the AC that blew off because they "had it serviced" but didn't put the screws back and who knows where it took off on the way home
- replace the subflooring in the front half and all the vinyl flooring
- replace the skylight from moisture in between internal and external bubbles. (no moisture that I can find yet but more on that when we replace it)
- replace all the external lighting and possibly internal as well
- replace mattresses
- replace other old plastic that has been cooked from being outside

Questions I have currently: where is the point where I collapse from making an emotional decision because x is bad and it will be cost prohibitive? What other things am I missing before we can take it out for a short stay? Hindsight being 50/50, what other super important things need to be thoroughly checked out? I have checked a lot more than I wrote here (seals, tires, storage, walls, etc.) and it generally looks like it's in great shape, barring the things already listed, especially for a rig that's 12 years old.

TLDR; I'm a moron and bought a camper because it had much more positive than negative and it was a good price. Now I'm here searching for how long my list is going to be for fixing it to gauge how much of a moron I am.
likeatank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2022, 11:18 AM   #2

You're not a moron. You're a guy with a new, fun, rather intensive hobby. Get to work.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 11:28 AM   #3

Can you change the moron quotient you feel you have acquired by this purchase? The answer is NO, so get over it.

All you can do is move on. We all have made purchases we later regretted.

I always try to look at this as having a few options.

1. Right it off as a total loss, dump it where ever you can.

2. Trade it in at a dealer for a new(er) unit that you properly check out.

3. Get off your tail and get out there and fix it. How much can you do yourself, versus hiring out? What is your budget?

4. Sell it to the next unsuspecting bloke. (I really hope this is not your choice, but I feel all options should be listed. )

I would suggest before you dive in too deep to take it on a campout. If you can do that campout in the driveway, where if a problem occurs, you can always go crawl into your own bed for the night, that would be great. Just park it far enough from the house that if it goes up in smoke, it doesn't take the house with the trailer.

If you can't do the driveway thing, then find a really close place to camp overnight.

At 12 years old and hardly used, how old are those tires? I bet they have great tread but if they are 12 years old, make sure their replacement is part of your budget.
Old 11-07-2022, 11:31 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
"TLDR; I'm a moron and bought a camper because it had much more positive than negative and it was a good price. Now I'm here searching for how long my list is going to be for fixing it to gauge how much of a moron I am."

I do believe you just wrote the new mission statement of irv2 lol!

That said, have fun with your new camper and make it what you envision.

Remember, if the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	380400  
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 11:52 AM   #5

Thanks y'all for the replies! I think I skipped right past the regret phase and into the "this purchase just started a bunch of other purchases and loss of free time so let me put that list together" phase.

I'm super excited about it, despite the tone of my post. I also don't know enough about them to know when to pull chocks because it will become cost prohibitive. My budget is a sliding one currently. Looking at the things I know we will have to replace, it's sitting around $2k so I'm assuming it will be double that for new things we find wrong and/or things we want to replace. The floor is the current big project that I imagine will be bigger than I'm predicting and the one I'm focused on. I'll be doing the work on it myself. I still don't know if that's because I'm too cheap to pay people to do things I know how to or if I'm a glutton for punishment by taking on tasks.

I really like the idea of taking it out camping to see what doesn't work. We have some places close by that I can go overnight and I can bring the tent with if it's that bad. The tires were replaced recently and still have the nubbies on them. That may happen sooner rather than later and really would help me number my list.

My wife tells everyone she married me because of my cooking. Now I get to see if she will stay because of my reno skills.
Old 11-07-2022, 01:40 PM   #6

Don't beat yourself up. Even if they're not costs isvabove budget think of it as the price of an education. Do a trial run as suggested & planned. I'd pay attention / look for any leaks in fresh water or gray / black tanks. Correct operation there is critical.
Do you really need all new lights inside & out to start? Or just some bulbs to get started?
Use it and think about what you lije / dislike and ultimately whether you can live with this one. As they say... manynof us get the second RV / boat purchase correct the first is just a learning experience.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 01:53 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Seems like you did weigh the pro's and con's and decided to buy.

I think you might have buyers remorse, don't beat yourself up, just move on and start working on the rig.
Hate to say it but just a rig sitting there will develop problems, even if it parked inside. I usually have to work on my rig for a week before I take it out, checking all the systems and fixing anything I find wrong (and there is always something wrong).
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 02:48 PM   #8

Thanks again. It is starting to feel a lot less overwhelming already.

I'm not in a huge hurry to replace the lights. They all work but the inside switches are tacky and easy to replace so they made the list. Some of the outside ones are cracked so I want to try and take out any possible entry points for liquid. Cosmetic stuff, I plan on us fixing whenever we have time but it's not pressing.

I will definitely check out the tanks to make sure there are no leaks too. Thanks for that heads up.

Something I hadn't really thought through is where to work on it? Our storage place won't allow working on them and our HOA are like hawks over a field of mice for stuff in the front. Most things, I can work on quick with the door closed in a parking lot somewhere but digging up the subfloor may be harder to do discreetly.
Old 11-07-2022, 02:56 PM   #9

Sounds likely only 1/2 of the problems my bother has has with his brand new Winnebago that he bough last year.

He has only been able to use it 2x and it is still not fixed right.

He is at the point of having lawyers involved.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 03:57 PM   #10

I don't think I ever go out with my basically new TT and don't have to effect some small repair. That is why we have so many threads about what tools to carry.

I often will pick up my TT the afternoon before a trip and park it out front, then leave on Friday at noonish. So far, my HOA hasn't complained, the neighbors usually come over to ask me where are we going, etc. One of the other neighbors, never speaks to anyone, but every few weeks will have a large MH parked out front for a day or two. I think it must be one of the couple's parents. In any event, I will often do minor mods out in front of the house. I must have added the TV at the house, since the slide had to be out to mount the bracket.

Our HOA is pretty small, and they were so desperate, I am on the board, so I may not be a good example to use.

I also have done some repairs while at the park. I don't think the campsite will take kindly to the sounds of saws while you replace your subfloor, but some other repairs like replacing lighting might be quite easy at a campsite.

I did a lot of my modifications at the campsite, adding shelves, coat hooks, a few other small items.
Old 11-07-2022, 08:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeatank View Post
Something I hadn't really thought through is where to work on it?
I have the same issues. Usually, when I want to work on some large project - replace flooring, etc. - I go boondock somewhere deserted for a week. If I'm going to do something light and quick in the interior, I'll go park at Home Depot, go in and buy all my parts and supplies, and then do the job unintrusively right there in the overflow parking lot. They have told me that's okay with them. Worst case, I've done repair jobs at quiet wayside rests. If it's quiet interior work to be done, anywhere you could stealth-camp will work.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 09:32 PM   #12

You are only a moran if you repeat the exact same mistake in life.