Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2007, 09:41 AM   #29

We had a 2004 Fleetwood Sequoia for two years. It was loaded - built-in microwave, hardwall shower, 6 gallon water heater, cassette toilet, etc. Really enjoyed camping in it until we got into some pretty heavy storms in eastern Colorado in late May as well as some pretty hard wind in Utah. The wind was bad enough that it bent a bed-end canvas support rod. At that time, we decided that if we wanted to continue camping, we needed to do something differently.

We had previously owned a small (24') fifth wheel, and we got tired of towing that - which is the reason we went back to a pop-up. We began our search and stumbled upon TrailManors. We tow with a Ford Expedition, and didn't really want to trade tow vehicles. We absolutely love the Trailmanor. We bought their 3124KS model - it's easier to tow and back that the pop-up, even though the unit in towing configuration is 10' longer that the pop-up. It weighs about 4000# loaded for a two week trip. It takes us about 10 minutes to open and be completely set up, a job that used to take 15-20 minutes with the pop-up. It is completely hard-sided, no canvas.

The important thing is to look at all the options, and get what YOU are happy with. Everyone has their own individual preferences and likes/dislikes. Some swear by hybrids. Some swear by Hi-Lo's. Some will keep their pop-up's. We love our TrailManor. So, it's up to you - explore your options.

Bob
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #30

Did you like this Sunvalley trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Camp53 View Post
We too, were Pop-Up owners before we moved to the hybrid. Our hybrid is one of the larger ones, but is an ultra light and weighs in at 3400 lbs dry. After having both, the Hybrid gets my vote. The ease of set up is wonderful, plus the fact that you can completely load your camper without having to open it up. The thing that has really been the largest advantage to me is that it is just not as stressful getting ready for a trip. Before, we pretty much had to plan much of a day immediatetly before the trip to pop the camper up, load it, and pop it down again. Usually took us between two and three hours, depending on how long we were going to be gone, and how much we had to pack. Now, I just plug the camper in while it is in the driveway, turn on the frig, and over the next several days, a few minutes a day gets us ready to go. Plus, since there is a LOT more storage in a hybrid, you can leave so much more in the camper, which also cuts down tremendously on the prep time. And it seems that when I am not strtessed out, everybody else has a much better time . You do get larger beds in some of the pop-ups, but we have more than enough room in the front queen bunk in out hybrid. You still get the outdoor feel with the canvas bunk ends, but the rest is orders of magnitude better in a hybrid (IMHO)

Donna & Stan

2003 SunValley XK23SD
2003 Toyota Tundra 4 X 4
Well I know this post was made along time ago but am hoping it will bounce a message to Donna and Stan.
I am looking at a 2005 XK23SD and I wanted to know if you remained happy with this trailer while you had it, interested in talking with you about them as the web has little info now that the company went under.
Thanks
Natasha
NatashaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:03 PM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, I remember this thread way back. For people still trying to decide between a pop-up or a hybrid, I can chime in and say after about 250+ nights in our 05' I'm glad we upgraded. Depending on the floorplan, it gives you so much more options in traveling and camping enjoyment. And just the amount of storage places. We have 26 cabinet doors or shelves. And after 5 camping seasons many are still not full. Us RV'ers will know, the longer we own our unit the more we keep stuffing in. Meaning more goes in than is taken out. I try cleaning house at the start of every season. Aerolite Cub Pix's model #236
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #32

Just another thought. Last year we camped a few spaces down from a family with a PU. They arrived around noon on Friday. They couldn't get the pop-up to raise. Apparently there was some problem with one of the cables. The poor guy and several neighboring campers worked on it all afternoon to no avail. The grownups wound up sleeping on the floor of the closed camper and the kids slept in the tow vehicle. They left early Sunday morning after a frustrating weekend. I realize failures like this are extremely rare, but it is something to consider.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #33

We had our R-vision hybrid for 4 years before moving up to a fifth wheel.
We truly loved it.......we just decided that we were ready to move to
a more home-like trailer and the fifth wheel we got fit that need. It is
just the two of us and our years in that hybrid were great.
Ours had a tent end on one end and an enclosed bed/bath at the other -
best of both worlds we thought!
Jo
Jody & Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #34

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
~Hybrid over Pop-up~

You just get more bang for the buck with a hybrid. Yes, if you are on a limited budget, a pop-up would be the cheapest way to get off the ground. Getting a hybrid floorplan with a small couch slide really opens up the aisleway. Counterspace and the amount of cabinet storage would be a second "must have". We have our orginized as such:

Cabinet #1 ~ lanters, rags, spare bulbs, some tools

~#2 (sons drawer) small games, books, markers

~#3 silverware, cell chargers, batteries

~#4 pot & pans

~#5 more pot & pans, toaster

~#6 kitchen odds and ends, baggies....

~#7 dish rag, trash bags......

~#8 canned food

~#9 cereal, popcorn, oatmeal, poptarts

~#10 plates, mugs, cups, plastic silverware

~#11 coffee, spices, boxed food

~#12 shower bags and supplies

~#13 clothes hamper, extra lanterns

~#14 wife's clothes

~#15 son's clothes

~#16 bathroom supplies

~#17 extra paper items (napkins, paper towels, cups...

~#18 larger board games, telescope

~#19 snacks....

~#20 pop, beer, extra blankets.....

~#21 vacuum, brooms......

~#22-26 Storage cubby holes.....Fishing poles, backpack, rainware, hats, gloves, slippers.....
Old 04-09-2011, 05:44 AM   #35

My husband and I bought a used pop-up (1995 Coleman Sun Valley, 12ft box) a few years ago. We enjoyed our pop up for a few years! However, we're also people that are always thinking about an upgrade in the back of our minds. Two weeks ago today we bought a 19ft 2011 Keystone Passport 190EXP hybrid trailer. We LOVE it! Here's how I look at it.
With the pop up, you feel more like you're "camping". It's a more rustic feel. From having to set up and take down to having to unzip giant plastic windows to let air in, to having little floor space to be moving around (especially with two large dogs!) Plus, ours didn't have A/C and hot nights in the summer, I do NOT want to be sleeping in sticky sweaty weather (but I guess I'm spoiled by air conditioning). Now we won't have to pack our tiny fridge full AND bring a cooler for food.
With the hybrid it is more to pull (look for one with a nice sloped front for wind resistance), we also had to get this new giant hitch to haul with. But now we have a larger fridge, a tv, dvd player, indoor and outdoor speakers for the stereo system, more storage, a double sink instead of a tiny one that holds one dish at a time (and no hand pumping water). So it depends on if you want to feel like you're camping or you're staying in a hotel! The biggest perk to me is having my own bathroom, SPIDER FREE, my own shower, etc. We can't wait to use our new hybrid!
Gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:28 AM   #36

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club

That is what we did in 05' We we're thinking about buying another Coleman, but once me & my wife stuck our heads into the Aerolite hybrids we changed course. We saw a 20' model that was nice, then my wife liked the 22' better, then once she saw the 24' ( Aerolite Cub model 236)she said that was the one....You will have to watch the length of your showers. We have a 46 gallon fresh where we can get 4-maybe 5 days of showers for 3 people if we watch it. With you 30 gallon you will have to watch it also....The only thing I always suggest to people who are thinking about a hybrid, is to get one with a slide...that really opens up the aisleway....I'm actually waiting for Aerolite to start to produce there new floorplan (232E) in a 25' hybrid where the kitchen and couch are in the slide....

What do you tow your with?