Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2018, 02:08 PM   #29

Boy, lots of opinions here. I've pulled both and I'd never go back to a bumper pull set up. Sure, they're easier to maneuver because the pivot point is so much further behind the rear wheels.

My 5th wheel rides so much nicer and I feel, much safer too.

I pull a 9,800 unladen trailer wt unit with a 15,500 lb capacity. My truck has a rating of a 15,900 capacity. Sure, it's a heavy load if Max's out but I only used it to haul two dirt bikes.

My 6.0 pulls it just fine and in fact, did a thread recently when pulling up the well known Grapevine.

You just have to do your research and feel comfortable with your pull.
R2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2018, 08:08 PM   #30

There is a lot of information here and most of it is accurate reference truck payload. Let me add that the rating for "your" truck is based on taxes you pay. For instance, an F350 single rear wheel is physically identical to an F250 which only come single rear. But the F350 has 1000lbs more capacity. How? you paid extra fees for the F350 and DOT allows you to haul more on public roads. So, when you are marginally overloading your F250 it's a legal definition, not a physical ability.
h82crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:22 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by h82crash View Post
There is a lot of information here and most of it is accurate reference truck payload. Let me add that the rating for "your" truck is based on taxes you pay. For instance, an F350 single rear wheel is physically identical to an F250 which only come single rear. But the F350 has 1000lbs more capacity. How? you paid extra fees for the F350 and DOT allows you to haul more on public roads. So, when you are marginally overloading your F250 it's a legal definition, not a physical ability.
Now that makes more sense than anything!
My former 2005 Tundra with a 4.7 showed 1500 kb capacity and it used a Tacoma rear end. My 2011 F250 4 x 4 with a 6.7 deisel shows 2190 capacity yet looking under neath as I put in an Air Lift kit, the mechanical structure is a beast by comparison. My engineering background cant justify the 690 lb difference as a safety/structural issue. DOT regs make more sense to me in justifying the disparity
KeysHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:50 PM   #32

This man speaks true.....
Just get into s wreck you MAY have caused. The lawyers will have a field day with your guesses. The mtg recommendations rile in court...
RichieRichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:51 PM   #33

Autocorrect for the win...
RichieRichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:50 AM   #34

Just don't get a bumper pull. 5vr will be SOOO much more stable and comfortable to pull. 95% of the large tow behinds are dragging the bumper even with a load distributing hitch. Don't see how that could possibly be better than a 5th wheel. Now you have 1200lbs of tongue weight 4 feet behind the axle. Nuts. I have a Thor Wanderer Wagon 34" with a 1500lb pin weight. F250 sits level with it hitched up. Put toys in the back and the pin weight gets lighter. Pretty simple.
h82crash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, toy hauler